The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-05-2018, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Introducing: Tyler Robbins Guitars

Allow me to introduce a fresh and exciting new figure in the world of luthier-built guitars: Tyler Robbins.

Some of you may be familiar with my detailed and exhaustive reviews for a variety of fine instruments, all using the same consistent metrics to facilitate comparison. Here you will find photos and reviews of instruments by John Slobod, Michael Bashkin, Stefan Sobell, Andrew Poe, Northfield, Michael Heiden, Stephen Holst, and the newest addition to the list, Tyler Robbins.

You can find out more about Tyler by visiting his website, but briefly, he came through the Galloup School of Lutherie, where he still works as a lead builder as well as the head of the repair department.

The guitar shown below and reviewed here is his model R.1, #1701, meaning his first guitar built in 2017, but it is also the first acoustic built under his own name.

I have played all four Robbins guitars to come through Dream Guitars (including this debut guitar) as well as two others at The Artisan Guitar Show and last month’s Swannanoa Gathering. They are all remarkably consistent in tone, and equally impressive.

Tyler is fairly young to have become this good so quickly and his guitars and career will certainly bear watching.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

Last edited by jmagill; 08-07-2018 at 03:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Strong work Jim,

I have been watching Tyler on instagram for a while now. His work looks very crisp and I'm looking forward to playing one of his guitars at some point.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 AM

I love everything about this one ☝️

Clean and precise but also looks purposeful...
Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 AM

Like Michael above, I've been following Tyler for probably a year or so on IG. I was always curious why I'd never seen anything on his work here, so it's nice to see something now. I've found all of his build photos to show excellent work but found his headstock details and rosettes to be particularly unique and flawlessly executed.

Jim - I was not familiar with your reviews but I'm happy that I've now found them. They certainly read to be done in a fair and unbiased manner with a focus on attempting to be as objective as one can be on this subject. I enjoyed going through them.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Jim - I was not familiar with your reviews but I'm happy that I've now found them. They certainly read to be done in a fair and unbiased manner with a focus on attempting to be as objective as one can be on this subject. I enjoyed going through them.
Thanks, Geoff. The reviews are meant to be useful to others, and I think that’s only possible by striving to be objective and consistent in my evaluations. I’m glad you enjoyed them.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop