The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2021, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
the turp surgery sounds more invasive than the urolift. i just came from my GP doctor and asked him about urolift. he really doesn't know much anout it,except that it is fairly new.my uro doc said that i am a good candidate.
For sure it’s more invasive. Interesting though that my recovery was like a week, but I was relatively young when I had it done. The anesthesiologist did a double take when he came in to prep me. Thought he had the wrong guy.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Mine went from annoying and disruptive to full blockage within a couple of months. I'd have been dead 100 years ago. Not fun. But man, full relief from the TURP surgery!
This is very encouraging, my urologist wants me to have this procedure but obviously I'm nervous. I've put him off for a while but I expect I must have it soon, I'm 72. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
This is very encouraging, my urologist wants me to have this procedure but obviously I'm nervous. I've put him off for a while but I expect I must have it soon, I'm 72. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'll PM you. Some of the details are probably best left out of the forum.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 12-09-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'll PM you. Some of the details are probably best left out of the forum.
That's great, thank you.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; i think i have brought this up before. i'm 68 , and like alot of us guys have an enlarged prostate . went to my urologist recently and he suggested a Urolift procedure. anyone ever have this done... ? as of now it is getting more and more uncomfortable , when i feel i have to go; i can't . embarrassing , when someone is waiting to use the restroom.i know ;not a great subject but not comfortable talking in person about this ..thanks.
This plagues many of us. I'm 67, and have dealt with related issues for at least 30 years.

I looked up the Urolift procedure, which is described as "minimally invasive." But it IS still invasive. I'm leery of any kind of cutting or surgery, no matter how minor.

To give one example, I had an ortho who wanted to operate on my hand for trigger finger (actually, thumb). My daughter, who is an OT, found a glove on Amazon for $15 which had a reinforcement in the thumb area to prevent it from moving. I didn't know this, but our muscles keep contracting and relaxing during sleep. I wore the glove for two weeks, only at night, and in three weeks the trigger thumb was cured, never to reappear.

There is a ton of medical research online. I'd be combing every article I could find. Also, I'd seek out medical forums just like this one and post this issue. There's a wealth of information out there, including herbal treatments, that might help -- and there are ZERO invasive.

Best of Luck,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 12-09-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
This plagues many of us. I'm 67, and have dealt with related issues for at least 30 years.

I looked up the Urolift procedure, which is described as "minimally invasive." But it IS still invasive. I'm leery of any kind of cutting or
To give one example, I had an ortho who wanted to operate on my hand for trigger finger (actually, thumb). My daughter, who is an OT, found a glove on Amazon for $15 which had a reinforcement in the thumb area to prevent it from moving. I didn't know this, but our muscles keep contracting and relaxing during sleep. I wore the glove for two weeks, only at night, and in three weeks the trigger thumb was cured, never to reappear.

There is a ton of medical research online. I'd be combing every article I could find. Also, I'd seek out medical forums just like this one and post this issue. There's a wealth of information out there, including herbal treatments, that might help -- and there are ZERO invasive.

Best of Luck,
Scott

I understand your view Scott, but sometimes surgery is the only answer. I've already tried all the alternative treatments and taken Tamsulosin for years.
Old 12-10-2021, 07:21 AM

The problem went on long enough and enough non-surgery was tried to know what I had to do. I went with the laser option available at the time that was also able to fix an anomaly maybe similar or same as @Dirk described.

One mistake was going home so soon with my mother picking me up in her sports car and stopping to do an errand. That might have been really bad because I remember a nurse asking me why the doctor used such a big catheter.

The next complication was removing that supposedly too big catheter. They wanted me to go back to the hospital out patient clinic closing in 20 min Friday afternoon - impossible - or said I had to go the DIY route. A shot of tequila and good timing with the oxy pill will help you "man up" if that's your choice.

@Dirk might relate. The night before my MTB posse called a night ride. It was a cool October night and we all had some slips on leaves in the dark. I messed up on a pretty simple 3 ft drop that's nothing in daylight. Maybe my last food and liquid should not have been post ride snacks and a beer. In surgery prep it was one of two times when medical professionals recognized recognized the telltale signs of a mountain biker.

I noticed side effects from the drugs. The no fun exams and image on the screen made it really obvious the legit drugs and hippie store quackery stuff were not going to work.
Old 12-10-2021, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I tried flomax but I also typically have the lower side of normal blood pressure and the flomax made me dizzy, so I stopped

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-10-2021, 10:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I understand your view Scott, but sometimes surgery is the only answer. I've already tried all the alternative treatments and taken Tamsulosin for years.
Malcolm, yes, of course, I understand, and agree. A number of the surgeries these days are far less invasive than years gone by. However, some people fall too easily into the trap of, not matter the condition, thinking surgery is the be-all and end-all. I just always urge caution.

Here's what happened to me. In addition to prostate issues, etc. I came down for about two years with a condition known as interstitial cystitis, or painful bladder syndrome. To this day, a lot urologists don't even believe it exists; they think it's all in your head.

Through scouring the internet for many hours, I found out that the one drug for this condition approved by the FDA, Elmiron, was developed by a doctor in San Diego, only about two hours from me. I had to wait many months to see him, but the meds ultimately did the trick. I would never have known of him or that med if I hadn't done hours of heavy research on the internet.

That's my story,

Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 12-10-2021 at 10:57 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic