The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Default Best you tube videos to learn mixing sound using Garageband

I started recording acoustic guitar and singing on garage band and have been fumbling through trying to learn beyond the mere basics how to adjust recordings and mix for the best sound. Are there any great you tube videos that anyone can suggest to master the use of garage band? thanks!
Old 11-21-2021, 05:35 PM
Eric Skye

Someone no doubt chime in with some great youtube links to check out.

But I'll just add that even just paying for a month ($15?) of something for Groove3...Or way bette yet, treat yourself to a year of SkillShare, where you can learn about every DAW -including many courses on GB- as well as production, etc.. and videography, photography, gardening, the list never ends.. I find shelling over a few bucks for far better organized and less distracted content for learning is totally invaluable, and kind of the promise of internet personified
Old 11-21-2021, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

There are books out there too. When I was first learning Pro Tools, I constantly had books at my elbow.

GarageBand For Dummies Paperback – Illustrated, August 25, 2020
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-03-2021, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Someone no doubt chime in with some great youtube links to check out.

But I'll just add that even just paying for a month ($15?) of something for Groove3...Or way bette yet, treat yourself to a year of SkillShare, where you can learn about every DAW -including many courses on GB- as well as production, etc.. and videography, photography, gardening, the list never ends.. I find shelling over a few bucks for far better organized and less distracted content for learning is totally invaluable, and kind of the promise of internet personified
I was interested in skillshare, but they dont even let you peruse their offerings until you commit to a month of free trial, with full info and credit card info. I avoid those traps like the plague.

(not to belittle skillshare...just the "give us a card, and cancel later" process. I have passed on several otherwise excelling sites for that reason alone.)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 12-03-2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:11 AM

I started out using GarageBand on a iPad and found this YouTube channel helpful.

https://youtube.com/c/PeteJohnsMusic
95 Ovation Custom Legend
Old 12-03-2021, 09:19 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I was interested in skillshare....just the "give us a card, and cancel later" process. ..
I can completely understand that. But none-the-less I'll just reiterate, for me personally, in both cases (Groove3 being more audio specific, and Skillshare being for a multitude of creative pursuits) for the price of a nice dinner out one night I have both for a whole year at my fingertips twenty-four hours a day. It's just mind-blowing resources. But I'm just nerdy this way, I end up just watching random stuff constantly.. If I have a little time to spare with my laptop on the couch I could doom-scroll news sites or look at Facebook or worse, look at retail sites.. Or I don't know, watch yet another video on acousticly treating a room, or comparing analog compressors, or heck, how to take great photos of my cat..
Sorry to be long winded. I totally agree about hating the process with stuff like this. But I do think it's value, for a curious nerd like me, is mind-melting
Old 12-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I can completely understand that. But none-the-less I'll just reiterate, for me personally, in both cases (Groove3 being more audio specific, and Skillshare being for a multitude of creative pursuits) for the price of a nice dinner out one night I have both for a whole year at my fingertips twenty-four hours a day. It's just mind-blowing resources. But I'm just nerdy this way, I end up just watching random stuff constantly.. If I have a little time to spare with my laptop on the couch I could doom-scroll news sites or look at Facebook or worse, look at retail sites.. Or I don't know, watch yet another video on acousticly treating a room, or comparing analog compressors, or heck, how to take great photos of my cat..
Sorry to be long winded. I totally agree about hating the process with stuff like this. But I do think it's value, for a curious nerd like me, is mind-melting
I agree. While YouTube videos can be helpful if you have a specific issue you want to learn about but it's essentially a hunt and peck environment and probably not the best or most efficient way to learn how to navigate a DAW (which can be quite overwhelming to the uninitiated). Sites like Groove3 and Skillshare will present the information in a much more organized way, allowing lessons to incorporate what was learned in previous lessons and build upon what the user already learned.

If the OP is comfortable learning the DAW in a hodge-podge manner (YouTube) then there's no need to buy into one of those lessons sites. But if he wants an efficient way to learn the DAW, the lessons would accomplish that and probably in less time with less frustration.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-08-2021, 12:02 PM

This guy has helped me learn a ton:

https://thegaragebandguide.com
Old 12-10-2021, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron_Talley View Post
This guy has helped me learn a ton:

https://thegaragebandguide.com
Thanks! Very helpful site!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD