The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2021, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
I am a Sales Vice President for a large consumer products company (packaged food). In order words - A corporate drone.
42 years sales/marketing/management for a couple large consumer package food companies. Giving up the drone life next year....
Old 11-14-2021, 07:27 PM

I am a retired Architect. I spent roughly half my career as a service provider to clients and managed a large Architectural firm. The other half of my career was on the client side itself in Corporate Real Estate for a couple of Fortune 500 companies.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Ever since I was a little kid I've loved looking at the night sky. I grew up in rural Oregon where you could actually see the stars at night. I'd sometimes sleep out in the backyard in the summer mapping the night sky with paper and pencil. Got my first telescope around 1960 and took some awful pictures of the moon - think Brownie camera and cheap telescope. It made me decide to be an astronomer.

In high school our library had a book that listed average salaries for different professions. Under astronomer it said $13,000 (US). That was around 1970. I thought, wow I could do what I want and be rich! So I studied physics and math for 4 years as an undergrad. Around that time, a guy named Gene Shoemaker came to my school to give a talk about asteroids. Maybe you've heard of comet Shoemaker-Levy... its the one that smashed into Jupiter in the early 90s. Anyway, it was fascinating and got me interested in learning more about asteroids. So I spent another 6 years in grad school studying astronomy. And I bought the 2nd guitar I'd ever owned - a $20 lawsuit Gibson knockoff, which was all I could afford. We were living in Tucson Arizona in cheap housing with a swamp cooler for A/C. That guitar probably saw humidities from 10% to 90% for the 6 years we were in Arizona. It showed it, but it didn't implode.

After that I got a real job doing physics and astronomy, with funding from NASA to study asteroids, what happens when they hit planets, how to deflect one that's a hazard to Earth...that sort of stuff. Did that for 35 years. This probably all sounds arcane, but it was fun. Well most of it anyway. Unfortunately the guitar was ignored for most of those years.

I retired 4 years ago and have been trying to catch up on the missed guitar years. I still get out to see and photograph the night sky, but just for fun now.

Anyway, a fun thread. It's interesting to hear about people's careers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yaquina.jpg (21.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 11-14-2021, 07:35 PM

Professor/administrator, higher Ed….
Old 11-14-2021, 07:40 PM

Oh my goodness I just love hearing the huge variance of what members have done, so incredibly interesting, a lot of you appear to have long careers in a field, I only started plumbing a couple years ago, can't imagine plumbing for the rest of my career, for one I can't see my body handling it, my SI joint is jammed more often than it isn't! Very smart people here, wow.

Last edited by Wellington; 11-15-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

1973 - 1982: miscellaneous entry level jobs

1982 - 1992: Data Systems Technician, United States Navy

1993 - 1997: student at The Ohio State University College of Optometry (played 100 - 120 “casual” gigs a year at this time, mostly solo nylon string Fingerstyle, mixed with a fair amount of duo work)

1997 - 2008: Optometrist in the United States Navy

2008 - 2014: Freelance employed optometrist

2014 - present: Optometrist in private practice

Anticipate retiring in somewhere between 6 months to 6 years from now.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Wilson View Post
As good a reason for a first post as any...

I'm a CPA and worked for 36 years as a financial analyst for a government agency. I retired 11 years ago.

Since retirement I took a 5 week live-in guitar building course, built and outfitted a shop and have been building on an amateur basis since. Mostly steel string acoustic, a classical, a 12 string and working on my first archtop now (build #009).
Welcome to the Forum Craig.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

me? Mostly a male model and actor in "Art" films. Recruited as a Government "agent" based mostly abroad whilst pretending to be a singer-guitarist (not too helpful in middle east).

Seriously? twenty years with IBM (they used to be famous). then "relationship and project manager in a Quango seven years, then became a self employed Economic Developmant manager managing a government funded project to promote broadband for small businesses. I retired in 2007.

Gained associateship of thr RPS,and got recruited as a speaker (showing my own portfolio) and exhibition and competition judge on the photo circuit from 1989 - 2017. Awarded international Gold medal (FIAP) in 1995.
Occasional actor (when called) whilst running my own music club and a few duos,trios and bluegrass bands.

Been growing our own fruit and veg since 2004.

Now mostly a cook, bottle washer and cat wrangler.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-02-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:27 PM

Ran an international television documentary business for about 30 years, retired seven years ago.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 11-14-2021, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Been working as chef since the mid eighties.
Took time off to raise my daughter 4 tears ago.
Almost time to get back into a kitchen
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 11-14-2021, 09:34 PM

After a year teaching school ('68-69), I went for my masters, only to end up as a dairy farmer ('69-99). Also sold farm real estate ('81 on) and am having too much fun at it to retire. And it's financed some nice guitars.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:41 PM

Drove a bus for 40 years. After Vietnam I didn’t care what I did as long as I wasn’t getting shot at.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:58 PM

I was in the Point Of Sale(POS) business with the same company for over 30 years until it abruptly ended about 5 years ago. I hired on with the company straight out of college as a field service tech installing/repairing/supporting POS systems in grocery stores and restaurants. I rose through the ranks and held a variety of positions with the company and had a nice career. My GM retired in 2012 and his replacement was a real POS.(pun intended) Things did not end well for me and I found myself unemployed at the ripe old age of 56. It was devastating for me. I had a difficult time finding work and finally hired on at the corporate headquarters for a midwest grocery chain cleaning offices. It pays the bills.

Life is funny sometimes....
Old 11-14-2021, 10:10 PM

High school art teacher/private guitar instructor/musical hired gun for jazz/r&b/old country

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-15-2021, 01:21 AM

I was a warrior-poet for many years. Now I'm a philosopher-king.

I did go into the reserves for a couple of years and worked as a chemist in research and development for a major civilian corporation.

But I came hair-raisingly close to being bored to death by the chemist job, so I went back on active duty in the military until I retired.

Now I play the guitar and pontificate, and rule over all that I survey. But since I left most of my eyesight behind in the military, I don't survey much.

It's a very small kingdom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic