The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Let us know if you get that mic, can't say I'm not tempted. That is a good price, I wish I had more Black Friday funds.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

So far, I have bought absolutely nothing this season. I was tempted, but I have so much stuff I rarely use already!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Let us know if you get that mic, can't say I'm not tempted. That is a good price, I wish I had more Black Friday funds.
I managed to hold out until the final day ...and then I caved. I just ordered the JZ Vintage 12. And now, we wait.

I also have a pair of Serrano 84 mics coming in sometime after Christmas. After telling all of us who pre-ordered that he was done tweaking the mic, Carlos Serrano changed his mind and decided to tweak some more. I'd have been fine if he hadn't because the last comparative sound files I heard were fantastic but he's a bit of a perfectionist and if waiting another month means it sounds even closer to the Neumann original, I'm okay with that too.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 12-01-2021, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I assume the Serrano 84's was just a limited time pre order thing? That does sound super cool, you'll have to let us know when you get them. Maybe he'll open up another order round at some point. Can't hurt to have another pair of SDC's.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I managed to hold out until the final day ...and then I caved. I just ordered the JZ Vintage 12. And now, we wait.

I also have a pair of Serrano 84 mics coming in sometime after Christmas. After telling all of us who pre-ordered that he was done tweaking the mic, Carlos Serrano changed his mind and decided to tweak some more. I'd have been fine if he hadn't because the last comparative sound files I heard were fantastic but he's a bit of a perfectionist and if waiting another month means it sounds even closer to the Neumann original, I'm okay with that too.
So I have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of SDC as an second option for acoustic guitar...

Unfortunately I sold my single Schoeps CM6-MaK4 to help fund a pair of AEA n 22's (looking back I should have kept it) and now purchased a second one Oh well water under the bridge................

I had been considering the Austrian Audio CC8 pair @ $950 for the pair
But am now curious about the Serrano 84 BUT I could not find any pricing info

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-01-2021, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
So I have been toying with the idea of getting a pair of SDC as an second option for acoustic guitar...

Unfortunately I sold my single Schoeps CM6-MaK4 to help fund a pair of AEA n 22's (looking back I should have kept it) and now purchased a second one Oh well water under the bridge................

I had been considering the Austrian Audio CC8 pair @ $950 for the pair
But am now curious about the Serrano 84 BUT I could not find any pricing info
The Serrano 84 isn't available for regular orders yet. I got in on a pre-order deal. He's probably not going to put it up on his website until after the pre-orders are shipped and he has some stock on hand. I read somewhere that the price will eventually be around $800-$900 for a pair and I think that is going to include both cardioid and omni capsules as well as a nice wooden storage box.

These are the latest comparison tracks. It's very close.
https://realgearonline.com/post/276657/thread

YouTube
Old 12-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Just heard from JZ Mics. My V12 won't be here until early 2022. That's not really a surprise since it's a new mic and they got a lot of pre-orders. I do appreciate them sending an unsolicited email letting me know.

YouTube
Old 12-02-2021, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just heard from JZ Mics. My V12 won't be here until early 2022. That's not really a surprise since it's a new mic and they got a lot of pre-orders. I do appreciate them sending an unsolicited email letting me know.
On the bright side...you will get a second present season in February or March!
No post season gloom for you. You will still have presents to look forward too.
On the down side, they may still not get to you when they say, as the world situation has put a big damper on parts and production.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
On the bright side...you will get a second present season in February or March!
No post season gloom for you. You will still have presents to look forward too.
On the down side, they may still not get to you when they say, as the world situation has put a big damper on parts and production.
They already got the first 30 out this week and another 30 are about to ship, so it's moving along. They're expecting another 100 to be ready to ship by the end of the month. I'm not sure if I'm in that 100 or if I'm in a later batch. I don't mind a reasonable wait so long as I know about it upfront and the company is truthful about it.

Not every company is like that though. For example, there's a company called Stam based in Chile. The company is notorious for taking not just months, but years to deliver on an order (and that's a reputation that preceded the pandemic). The website has wait times listed for each product but those wait times are fairy tales. The products NEVER ship as promised. If you search the various forums you'll find people who are waiting more than two years for things they ordered. And as if the ridiculous wait times aren't enough, the owner has no qualms about lying to customers about imminent shipping times in order to string them along.

This is my first time ordering from JZ but I've never heard similar stories about them so I don't expect this to turn into a Stam scenario. When I ordered, the website clearly said it was a pre-order, so I knew a wait would be involved. And I meant what I said about getting the email telling me it would be early 2022. I hadn't inquired; they sent that on their own. I put a high value on that kind of proactive communication.

YouTube
Old 12-02-2021, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They already got the first 30 out this week and another 30 are about to ship, so it's moving along. They're expecting another 100 to be ready to ship by the end of the month. I'm not sure if I'm in that 100 or if I'm in a later batch. I don't mind a reasonable wait so long as I know about it upfront and the company is truthful about it.

Not every company is like that though. For example, there's a company called Stam based in Chile. The company is notorious for taking not just months, but years to deliver on an order (and that's a reputation that preceded the pandemic). The website has wait times listed for each product but those wait times are fairy tales. The products NEVER ship as promised. If you search the various forums you'll find people who are waiting more than two years for things they ordered. And as if the ridiculous wait times aren't enough, the owner has no qualms about lying to customers about imminent shipping times in order to string them along.

This is my first time ordering from JZ but I've never heard similar stories about them so I don't expect this to turn into a Stam scenario. When I ordered, the website clearly said it was a pre-order, so I knew a wait would be involved. And I meant what I said about getting the email telling me it would be early 2022. I hadn't inquired; they sent that on their own. I put a high value on that kind of proactive communication.
A few years ago,..I bought a pair of highly touted & rather expensive microphones directly from--what I thought was that manufacturer maker. I will never know the exact truth, but as it turns out there was some kind of separation between the founder and the New owners. However the Founder was still claiming to be the manufacturer. I made the very naive and stupid mistake of wire transferring monies. But hey, he had a website, people claimed to love his microphones, and he seemed so very nice. I was promised delivery in one month. Month after Month there were strange excuses. After six or seven months I started doing some research and found that he was still promise new purchasers a one month delivery.
Took me another six months or so, and a lot of hard work, to get my monies back. And Only because I had gone down to NAMN and taken pictures of an Empty microphone booth & filed various complaints, including with the FBI. People from all over the world contacted me and let me know that they had been taken as well. I am actually one of the lucky ones who did get his money back(and again, only because I took action). Lots of people were not a lucky as myself.
I suppose the moral of the story is to really do a lot of research when ordering direct. And always use paypal or a protected credit card that will guarantee product delivery or monies back. But I understand even with paypal, there must be legitimate websites and or adds to support your order.
Old 12-03-2021, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Native Instruments Noire Piano wasn't even on my radar but I came across this YouTube video today and this piano instrument really grabbed my attention. I own Modartt Pianoteq, so I thought my piano needs were fully covered ...and for the first nine minutes of this video, I had no reason to think otherwise. But then he started playing around with the "particle engine" and some of those sound combinations made my ears grin ...and that's coming from a guy who usually doesn't like patches that have piano tones married to other tones. I didn't love all of them but some of them sound like things I can use and perhaps even draw some inspiration from. It didn't take me too long to talk myself into this one and since it's on sale for 50% off... well, you know.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 12-03-2021 at 01:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD