The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
It’s been very therapeutic and powerful reading everyone’s posts… I’d like to attach a link Alisa “Toms Wife” sent me from the service…

https://www.facebook.com/faithofsagi...5666162532006/
That service was very nice, his wife was very strong to speak like that. He was obviously a very loved man by all who knew him. Sounds like a very loving and large family there to support his wife and daughters which I am glad for.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:52 AM

I met Tom a couple of times over the years and corresponded with him occasionally about his guitars that were in my shop. I always looked forward to hearing from him - he was a gentleman and a kind soul, not to mention an incredibly talented luthier.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-20-2021 at 07:54 AM. Reason: I am very sorry, but listing the gofundme page is not allowed.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM

Thank you, Dave! Alisa's talk was one of the most heartfelt and amazing memorial tributes that I have ever heard. That itself was a work of art.

The picture of Tom....or shall I say the "pictures" of Tom in the service brought out so much of the depth we as clients recognized but couldn't fully know and appreciate in our brief travels as clients and customers. I'm grateful to have the chance to glimpse behind the scenes and appreciate even more what a fantastic guy he was.

As you're in touch with the family, please once again send my deepest condolences and thanks for allowing AGF to share in this service of tribute and loving memory.
Best,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 10-20-2021 at 09:44 AM. Reason: word insert
Old 10-22-2021, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I am at quite a loss of words having just discovered this. I don't check the custom section very often and if someone had not mentioned Tom's passing in the open mic section, I still wouldn't know. I am so sad to learn this and my heart breaks for Tom's wife and the girls and all his family.

I met Tom in 2011 when he visited my shop in search of some finishing ideas. It was a long drive for him and he stayed longer than he had planned but that often happens when a couple of guitar nut perfectionists get together. He brought along a guitar and played a bit, his playing was incredible. If I remember correctly, he also brought along a nephew of his, a very well mannered and handsome young man that was very patient as Tom and I jabbered. Tom called often and we would discuss finish issues and techniques and whatever else our ADD conversations would drift to. Lately, we would discuss shop construction and Tom was planning on reassembling a silo that he had rescued and was going to turn it into tonewood storage.

Before Tom left that day, I asked if he would like to sign a cabinet that I have builders sign when they visit. Jim Olson had just visited a couple months earlier and Tom was especially happy to be able to sign near Jim's spot. I'm a better man to have known Tom and I'm sure anyone else that was fortunate enough to know Tom feels the same way.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:12 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe white View Post

Before Tom left that day, I asked if he would like to sign a cabinet that I have builders sign when they visit. Jim Olson had just visited a couple months earlier and Tom was especially happy to be able to sign near Jim's spot. I'm a better man to have known Tom and I'm sure anyone else that was fortunate enough to know Tom feels the same way.
Very cool Joe - and I agree....fortunate to have known him.

Old 10-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Rip sir I never had the pleasure of meeting you, but you seem like a kind soul.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:58 PM

I really loved your story, Joe... and what a cool pic! Also love the many great stories and heartfelt sympathies I've read here, and the personal stories and love from so many of you on the back channels.

I'm Tom's brother, Jim. I'll always call him Tommy, but since you all know his as Tom, I'll proceed accordingly.

I don't have much to add, other than a story from today. Tom's wife Alisa came over and was a bit distraught because she couldn't find a guitar she was looking for at the house. As we began to look around Tom's shop, I spotted a guitar body poking out from storage loft. Got out the ladder, did some digging. Started finding guitars and handed them down to Alisa.

We began to clean the dust off them and look them over. I picked one of them out right away as it was the #3 pair to my #4, built at the same time. Remember it very well.

Next was a guitar body with a pickguard. At first, I thought this couldn't be his... then it started coming back to me. Had to go back and find the neck, which I did, and there was the big 'D' on it.

Tom kept every sound hole cutout as record of his builds. The description of record improved as his craft did. The early ones didn't have much to give other than a number and/or date, but the woodgrain match-up was clear evidence.

So I thought it would be enjoyable to share a some pics, along with a couple other of his guitars.

From left to right, #3, #5, #63, #164.
#63 is his Legacy prototype from '09, w/German spruce and a full bevel.
#164 is a jumbo prototype and his last guitar. It's perfectly understated and beautiful.

And this is Tom's first guitar, #1... with a pickguard, which I suspect may be the only one.

Now Tom's may not be the most happy about me sharing his earliest work here... But I can tell you that it gave us much joy today, and it was needed. And I'm sure he would be happy about that. So this is me, this is us, sharing some joy with a community of guitar people Tom loved very much!

We appreciate the prayers and heart from all of you. Thank you.

Last edited by J Doerr; 10-23-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:20 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Doerr View Post

From left to right, #3, #5, #63, #164.
#63 is his Legacy prototype from '09, w/German spruce and a full bevel.
#164 is a jumbo prototype and his last guitar. It's perfectly understated and beautiful.

Pretty sure I played #63 full bevel when he strung it up. If I remember right, he didn't think IT was that great either, but I thought it was pretty darn nice!!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:40 PM

Wonderful, Jim...loved that you posted this and hope for more as time and circumstance permit.
What a wonderful and creative way to keep records by noting the detail on the cut-out. Fabulous!
Mine is #103, Tom's last set of LS Redwood. He was so kind in working out the details on this with me. While my don't "name" my guitars, the Legacy has a nickname name of "Noelle" in recognition of Tom actually starting the build sometime on Christmas Day 2013. I was always taken with the fact that he was at work on the holiday and certainly appreciated this. The guitar is pictured in my AGF avatar and of course next to my tune, "Open Doerr" in my signature.
Best wishes and thanks again!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Last edited by islandguitar; 10-23-2021 at 07:50 PM. Reason: word insert
Old 10-24-2021, 07:14 PM

Incredible tone and playing, Fred. And feeling as well. Thanks for posting this.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:43 PM

Oh....thanks so much, Larry!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 10-25-2021, 12:03 PM

That's a wonderful post Jim. I think every luthier should keep their first guitar. Peace to you and your family and friends.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:24 PM

Tommy's brother-in-law, Doug, a photography hobbyist, photographed many of Tom's guitars over the years. Here are some candid moments from their many shoots.

Last edited by J Doerr; 10-30-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:31 PM

Here's an updated video of Tom's service on my YouTube.

https://youtu.be/eAuSAXWShF8

This one is edited to include missing copyrighted material, and the very kind addition of "Open Doerr" by Island Guitar. Fred, thank you very much for the use of your beautiful song!

Last edited by J Doerr; 10-30-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:51 PM
Musical minimalist

Those pics are great! Thanks for sharing them with us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop