The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 10:34 AM

Default NHL 2021/22 Season Thread

Puck drops on Tuesday! What teams, players, and story lines are you following this year?

Any predictions?
Old 10-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Grubauer wins the Vezina with the Kraken is my prediction.

And this Avs fan is not too happy at that prospect

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-08-2021, 03:29 PM

I'll be closely following the Penguins, as usual. No expectations for anything more than a struggle of a year for them. Having to start the season without Crosby and Malkin will make it likely that they'll be trying to dig out from a hole that may be too deep to escape by the time both can make it back to the lineup. Could be the first time since Sid's first season that the Pens don't make the playoffs.

I feel like there's a good chance for The Lightning to 3-peat, much to my chagrin.

My dark horse pick for a team that surprises by making the playoffs this year is The New Jersey Devils. Some great young talent on that team and the addition of Dougie Hamilton will make their defense a lot better.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-08-2021, 04:16 PM

Isles for me, and will be very curious to follow TB!
Always looking over my shoulder at the NY Rangers and Bruins!
Also looking and hoping for strong showing from our great neighbors up North!
Old 10-08-2021, 05:04 PM

LA Kings to make the playoffs. Really just hoping. Not a prediction.
The young guys need to start coming into their own this season.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:13 PM

As usual, I'll be watching the Leafs making a good show until the playoffs, which they'll exit in the first round.
Old 10-09-2021, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
As usual, I'll be watching the Leafs making a good show until the playoffs, which they'll exit in the first round.
LOL, but it's true. I wonder if the Leafs end up trading a highly paid player this season, such as Nylander ($7M cap hit for the next 3 seasons). Tavares, Matthews, and Marner all have CAP hits of ~ $11M for the next 3 seasons and Tavares/Marner for four. Too much money in 3 players to round out the team. They're also paying $1.2M for Phil Kessel which is contributing to their CAP - that was a terrible contract signing.

Here's a great site to see the salary and CAP for all teams/players:
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/mapleleafs
Old 10-09-2021, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Rangers have cap space and looks like they're gonna see how things go and make a move at trade deadline if they're in it. Their preseason has been mediocre. This division's gonna be interesting if the Pens and Bruins take a step back.
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 10-09-2021, 09:20 AM

Wishing the best for Carey Price. He's the Canadiens' fan favorite and has always been a class act.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:22 PM

Surprisingly good news for The Penguins as Sidney Crosby returns for the first time to a team practice this morning. HC Mike Sullivan stated that he expects Crosby to travel with the team to Florida for the first two games of the season. Crosby will not play, but will be able to continue to practice with the team. Expectation is that he'll play his first game sometime during the 8 game home stand that follows the two game Florida road trip.

Hope Sid isn't rushing back prematurely from the wrist surgery he had in September, but the Pens need him with Malkin out until at least mid-December.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-10-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Surprisingly good news for The Penguins as Sidney Crosby returns for the first time to a team practice this morning. HC Mike Sullivan stated that he expects Crosby to travel with the team to Florida for the first two games of the season. Crosby will not play, but will be able to continue to practice with the team. Expectation is that he'll play his first game sometime during the 8 game home stand that follows the two game Florida road trip.

Hope Sid isn't rushing back prematurely from the wrist surgery he had in September, but the Pens need him with Malkin out until at least mid-December.
Great news about Sid. I saw that he was back in practice. Good thing about wrist surgery is that he should have still been able to train on the cardio side of things and work out his legs.

Ottawa - what to do with Tkachuk? He's a restricted free agent, hasn't reported to camp, and wants $8M per year. Crazy. I think the Senators should hold still. Brady isn't worth anywhere near $8M.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM

The NHL's 2021-2022 season has its inaugural puck drop in about 30 minutes in Tampa as the Pens visit the Lightning. Those two teams have won 4 of the last 6 Cups and both were back to back winners.

I'm sure ESPN was looking at this game as a marquis matchup to initiate their new TV contract with the NHL, but the Pens won't have Malkin or Crosby (or starters Jake Guentzel, Zack Aston-Reese or Mike Matheson)in their lineup for this one. In fact, after the puck drops the Pens will have officially lost 5 man games to injury/illness after 1 game. A depleted Pens lineup against the defending Stanley Cup Champs seems like a mismatch, but you never know...

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-12-2021, 08:21 PM

Pens beat the Lightning 6-2. Yup, you just never know...

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-13-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Tampa pulled their goalie with what, 6 minutes left in the game? 3 empty net goals and I believe Tampa also scored one with the extra attacker.

Montreal / Toronto tonight. I still can't believe Montreal took out Toronto in last season's playoffs in the first round.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Tampa pulled their goalie with what, 6 minutes left in the game? 3 empty net goals and I believe Tampa also scored one with the extra attacker.

Montreal / Toronto tonight. I still can't believe Montreal took out Toronto in last season's playoffs in the first round.
Yeah, I don't know what was going on. Pulling the goalie is a desperation play in my book but to suffer three empty netters because of it is just crazy IMO.

I didn't realize that Guentzel was out too. Wow.

BTW, how did the Kraken do? I understand they had several players out with you-know-what.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic