The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-05-2021, 03:32 PM

Default biscuit resonator bridge protector quick release

Hi,

My biscuit cone resonator has a bridge protector/handrest that is normally fixed to the top plate with 4 screws. I play without it, so I can palm-mute or even tap the saddle. But when I store the guitar (even on a stand or on the wall) I put the thing back into place, hooking it into the screw holes of the top plate with 2 bent paper clips. That works OK in the gigbag (esp. now that I have one that opens completely), but it's a bit haphazard when I store the guitar vertically outside of the bag.

I'd like to find a cleaner mechanism. I could glue a couple of magnets under the plate and on top of the feet of the protector but that's a bit to (semi)permanent to my taste.
I'm thinking of a couple of push-in plugs, for instance made out of nylon or some other stuff that's both elastic and resilient enough.

Any suggestions? I'll admit that I don't even have a clue what kind of keyword I should be searching for...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 12-05-2021, 05:23 PM

I heavily modified my cheap reso and was concerned with the same issue. In my case the cover plate had the saddle cover spot welded in place, so I cut it off entirely and always planned to make a magnetic guard for use in the case. I eventually decided not to bother since my case had padding that kept the bridge area from contacting the lid.

The whole time I was working on this I kept searching for alterative solutions and I never saw anything interesting wither in production or as a one-off mod.

-Douglas C.

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2020 Breedlove Wildwood Concertina
2003 Guild JF30-12
Kremona Verea VA Crossover Nylon
2005 Rogue Biscuit Resonator
1960's Harmony Patrician Archtop
2008 Eastman AR810-7 Archtop
Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM

One of the members here has attached his with magnets - see attached video. Can't remember his forum name here but well worth checking out the rest of his videos. Tasty stuff.

Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-06-2021, 07:15 AM

If magnets feel too non permanent, you could try only using 2 of the screws.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:18 AM

I think I that example was what gave me the idea of using magnets.

Thing is, I'm not really certain where to get 4 decent enough magnets, plus I don't like getting the cover plate off more than strictly necessary.

Using screws is not an option: I simply remove and replace the protector too often for that (also in situations where I can't take the time to screw it back in place).
I'm certain that I've already seen the kind of plug-like affairs that one should be able to use in place of screws, but I can't seem to remember where or in what context. I almost cannot imagine that alieexpress doesn't have a suitable product somewhere in its e-caverns...

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:41 AM

Something like this, but way thinner:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000885500304.html

So maybe this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860261143.html (but that's a bit expensive for way more bulk than I need and that may not do the trick)

Last edited by RJVB; 12-06-2021 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-06-2021, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Something like this, but way thinner:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000885500304.html

So maybe this
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32860261143.html (but that's a bit expensive for way more bulk than I need and that may not do the trick)
Those automotive plastic door panel rivets are more or less designed for one time use. Yes they are sometimes used 2 or 3 times by frugal body mechanics but that's about it.

Velcro?? A small hook patch held to the cover plate and a loop patch to the palm rest. Available with peel and stick or use Goop cement?
Old 12-07-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Amazon has lots of rare earth and niobium magnets in various sizes. Not necessarily expensive either. Check in the reviews to see if they are any good.
May be a good idea to take a look at the sageworks classical guitar support for ideas - they have you use 3M command strips to stick some magnets to the inside of the guitar and then you can easily remove the support for casing etc.
Care does need to be taken to avoid the magnets snatching the other magnet as you are bringing it close.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:25 PM

Try searching for push in rubber feet or push in bumpers. Here are some examples:

https://www.takachi-enclosure.com/products/B_PLUG
Old 12-07-2021, 12:31 PM

Even with magnets I'd want some pins through the screwholes, for alignment.

This discussion reminded me of a stash of let's keep this because who knows items. Found 2 long nylon rivets in there that I managed to cut down to an appropriate size so they fit the threaded holes in the cover plate and hold with some friction. Hopefully it will be a while before that wears off, giving me the time to look into better solutions like those push-in bumpers.

(the ones in the examples are all way to wide; the holes in the protector are 3mm diam, the ones in the cover plate slightly smaller (M2.5 screws?).

Old 12-07-2021, 03:25 PM

You can also saver yourself some shipping by hitting a local hardware store or HomeDepot. They have small packages of Neo magnets which would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Amazon has lots of rare earth and niobium magnets in various sizes. Not necessarily expensive either. Check in the reviews to see if they are any good.
May be a good idea to take a look at the sageworks classical guitar support for ideas - they have you use 3M command strips to stick some magnets to the inside of the guitar and then you can easily remove the support for casing etc.
Care does need to be taken to avoid the magnets snatching the other magnet as you are bringing it close.

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2003 Guild JF30-12
Old 12-07-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwave View Post
local [...] HomeDepot
Yep, nope, that doesn't compute (check my location)

Old 12-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Le dépôt d'accueil, perhaps?

Hey - I tried. ��

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Yep, nope, that doesn't compute (check my location)

- Douglas C.

1998 Larrivée C-09
1977 Gibson MK-35
2003 Guild JF30-12
Old 12-08-2021, 04:49 AM

Trust me, I think the name wouldn't be the issue, finding one in any reasonabe sense of the concept "local" a bit more.

(I'd translate it to "Dépôt Maison" because "dépôt de" <something> could be read as whatever crud that something might shed - the stuff you might find on the bottom of a bottom of old wine is called dépôt for instance).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair