The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Default NuIAD (stinky electronics content)

I picked up this little 13W/ch Rotel RA-110a integrated amp for about $50.

The general idea was to put it in my dinning room where I often sit and do work, play games and occasionally have guests, so that I could play music or podcasts in that room at a moderate volume without having to turn up the main system in the other room, and with hopefully higher quality (and a bit more class) than a portable bluetooth speaker. Plus, it was only $50, and the amp on my main system only has one pair of speaker terminals.

Seems to work fine, tried it with an old set of Boston Acoustics that usually do attic duty.

But it does smell like it has spent most of its life in a cigarette intensive environment. When I get a chance I'll take off the cover and vacuum out any dust. But, that aside, any good ideas on getting rid of the smell.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Well, put off the work I should be doing long enough to pull the cover. There's no vent holes, so there's no dust. But it's stinking up the house, so I put it on the porch to air out for a while.

(I know I could post this on a stereo forum, but I spend way more time here, and I know there's some crossover).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Musical minimalist

Maybe dilute some Goo Gone and wipe it down a few times.

I think that's what I did when I purchased a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's about 15 years ago that came from a smoker's house.

It was so thick on the outside of the speakers, it was the only thing that would take it off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN