The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-28-2022, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Acousticland!

Thank you for your kind comments! I am very pleased that you enjoyed this cover! I had fun with this myself!

I have composed some songs where I sang, many in fact, but it has been more than 30 years since I recorded any original songs. Here is a song I did with my wife that long ago about a lighthouse down the coast from us called "Tillamook Light." My wife is singing lead and I am singing harmony. It's played with my old Guild F212 12-string.

I should maybe go back and re-record some of my better songs...

- Glenn
Tillamon Light : SWEET SWEET SWEET song.
If your other songs are like these profile, You HAVE to take out from the past the ones you lost during the "road of life".
Your wife has a delightful voice too. And the tune is perfectly arranged as it was played. piano and keyboards as complete the picture.

Good playing. And singing
Old 01-28-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
The vocal harmony for "Nowhere Man" is fairly sophisticated...
- Glenn
I'll say! Oustanding job!

Last edited by Mortimer Nelson; 01-28-2022 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

What a talent! Thanks Glenn for putting this together and sharing. Everything is so well done, and the final high harmony knocks it out of the park. Bravo!
Mike
Old 01-28-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticland View Post
Tillamon Light : SWEET SWEET SWEET song.
If your other songs are like these profile, You HAVE to take out from the past the ones you lost during the "road of life".
Your wife has a delightful voice too. And the tune is perfectly arranged as it was played. piano and keyboards as complete the picture.

Good playing. And singing
Thank you Acousticland for listening and for your thoughts and comments on my old song, "Farewell, Tillamook Light!" I'm very pleased that you like this. I have passed on your compliments to my wife who is also very appreciative of your kind comments.

I hope you are doing well! Take care and stay safe!

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Nelson View Post
I'll say! Oustanding job!
Thank you Mortimer!

I'm glad you agree! I also appreciate that you put in the time to listen and provide your thoughts and comments here! It's fun to learn something new no matter what time of life it is.

Be well out there!

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
What a talent! Thanks Glenn for putting this together and sharing. Everything is so well done, and the final high harmony knocks it out of the park. Bravo!
Mike
Thank you Mike!

How nice of you. Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. They are greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to separate talent from hard work. I suppose I must have some talent for learning music, but I do know that I work hard at it because I value music in my life so much. Either way, I really appreciate your encouragement.

I'm also very pleased that you appreciate the vocals and vocal harmony. I do, too. A person never knows how something like this will work out when a recording project is started. I guess a person moves ahead with some level of hope that he/she can do an acceptable job, but you never know until you try. I'm sure that just like me, you have probably started a project like this and then abandoned it because it just doesn't come together in a way that you or I feel good about. In this case, really, I think I was just lucky. And, I put in a lot of work and time, so that I suppose I had a better chance of success. It really helps to be retired and to have time for something like this. It also helps to have a quiet space and fairly good recording equipment and some knowledge of the art. And it helps to be in reasonably good health, too. Near the end of this project I got sick with some virus -- not covid, I tested myself -- and it messed me up for 5-6 days so that the only work I could do on this was to listen to my audio mix and make tweaks on it. Still, all those tweaks helped. And eventually, I got better and could finish this.

Thank you Mike for providing feedback and encouragement. I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 01-28-2022, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you Mike!

How nice of you. Thank you for your encouragement and kind words. They are greatly appreciated.

I don't know how to separate talent from hard work. I suppose I must have some talent for learning music, but I do know that I work hard at it because I value music in my life so much. Either way, I really appreciate your encouragement.

I'm also very pleased that you appreciate the vocals and vocal harmony. I do, too. A person never knows how something like this will work out when a recording project is started. I guess a person moves ahead with some level of hope that he/she can do an acceptable job, but you never know until you try. I'm sure that just like me, you have probably started a project like this and then abandoned it because it just doesn't come together in a way that you or I feel good about. In this case, really, I think I was just lucky. And, I put in a lot of work and time, so that I suppose I had a better chance of success. It really helps to be retired and to have time for something like this. It also helps to have a quiet space and fairly good recording equipment and some knowledge of the art. And it helps to be in reasonably good health, too. Near the end of this project I got sick with some virus -- not covid, I tested myself -- and it messed me up for 5-6 days so that the only work I could do on this was to listen to my audio mix and make tweaks on it. Still, all those tweaks helped. And eventually, I got better and could finish this.

Thank you Mike for providing feedback and encouragement. I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
I can appreciate how much work you put in, Glenn. My weekly lessons that I post on YouTube take quite a bit of time, even though they look like they are banged out in 10 minutes. I was telling some of my students this week that I typically play a song 30 or so times before I record it. Then, it may require 4 or 5 takes to get something that is good enough to publish. All this after researching the song and other lessons and covers that are in the YouTubesphere. Like you mentioned, sometimes I also work on a song for a few days, only to realize it’s not right. So, from one retiree to another, “thank goodness we love what we do, and have the time and space to do it!”. Cheers, my friend!
Old 01-28-2022, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkel12 View Post
I can appreciate how much work you put in, Glenn. My weekly lessons that I post on YouTube take quite a bit of time, even though they look like they are banged out in 10 minutes. I was telling some of my students this week that I typically play a song 30 or so times before I record it. Then, it may require 4 or 5 takes to get something that is good enough to publish. All this after researching the song and other lessons and covers that are in the YouTubesphere. Like you mentioned, sometimes I also work on a song for a few days, only to realize it’s not right. So, from one retiree to another, “thank goodness we love what we do, and have the time and space to do it!”. Cheers, my friend!
Thanks for your response, Mike! All the best to you!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2022, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Wow! Nothing else to say. Could have just about been the Beatles. Superb job as usual Glenn.

-Ray
Old 01-30-2022, 11:45 AM

As someone who’s been a Beatle fan all my life, all I can say is Well Done!
Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 01-30-2022, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Wow! Nothing else to say. Could have just about been the Beatles. Superb job as usual Glenn.

-Ray
Thank you Ray!

I am so glad you checked this out; I was hoping you would enjoy the lead electric guitar on this! I thought this was right in your wheelhouse.

Thank you for your vote of confidence, Ray! I'm so pleased that you thought this came out well!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2022, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
As someone who’s been a Beatle fan all my life, all I can say is Well Done!
Dan
Thank you Dan!

That is so wonderful to read! Much appreciated! I'm so pleased that you felt this came out well! Thanks, Dan, for taking time to watch and comment!

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2022, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, This is my favorite of all your videos--EXCELLENT!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-30-2022, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Glenn, This is my favorite of all your videos -- EXCELLENT!
Thank you SpruceTop!

I'm so glad you feel this came out well! Thanks so much for letting me know!

I realize that this kind of song and production fits into what you like to do and hear. I hope you are enjoying your Gretsch 5420TG and your new cool amps! Too bad we are separated by 3,000 miles; it would be fun to get together!

Thanks for taking time to watch and comment -- much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2022, 03:34 PM

Sorry I'm late to the reception. Very well done!
Beatle songs are so good. I'm glad you had the opportunity to explore the finer details.
Consider more. Thanks for sharing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell