The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2018, 04:45 PM

Question Suggest me some better than beginner electric...

I have had few electrics but didn't like the sound of most and feel of some so again looking for electric.
I don't like strat models. I haven't tried the american made ones though.

What brand/models should I be looking for?

ESP or Schecter look good but haven't gotten chance to try one yet.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
I have had few electrics but didn't like the sound of most and feel of some so again looking for electric.

I don't like strat models. I haven't tried the american made ones though.

What brand/models should I be looking for?

ESP or Schecter look good but haven't gotten chance to try one yet.

ESP and Schecter make very nice guitars. Look into ESP’s LTD line since that’s their budget line of guitars, but are not cheaply made by any means. Mind you, those two brands cater more towards the heavy metal player so I highly recommend to try them out first.

Have you thought about Epiphone? For about $600 you can get a very nice Les Paul model with just about every feature of a Gibson model (set neck, carved top, 4 pots with coil split) but without the Gibson name and fancy pickups. The shorter scale might feel more comfortable too.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:12 PM

Why don't you like Strats? Is it scale length, or perhaps the radius / feel of the neck?

I suggest trying out a Gibson SG and a Les Paul. Lots of different neck styles on them but they have a flatter fretboard radius and shorter scale. Try a bunch of them out.

I have a couple of Schecters and an LTD and I think they're great guitars. Same as the PRS SE line. The Schecters and LTD are more shredders than the Gibsons or Fenders.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM

You don't mention style or anything, For an all around great playing guitar and that seriously underpriced for the value it's hard to go wrong with a Parker Nitefly. Here is one on Ebay that is a huge value. And no - it isn't mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Nite...wAAOSwXvxa0A8p
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Why don't you like Strats? Is it scale length, or perhaps the radius / feel of the neck?

I suggest trying out a Gibson SG and a Les Paul. Lots of different neck styles on them but they have a flatter fretboard radius and shorter scale. Try a bunch of them out.

I have a couple of Schecters and an LTD and I think they're great guitars. Same as the PRS SE line. The Schecters and LTD are more shredders than the Gibsons or Fenders.

Yes those are great guitars for the money too. I wanna add Sterling to the list. It’s the budget line of Music Man. Great well made instruments!
Old 04-19-2018, 07:10 AM

I feel strats are kinda small bodied.
I tried a Fender mim tele and it felt way better to hold and play so that could be an option.
I had a PRS soapbar ii and it felt even smaller so sold it.
Maybe I should look at archtop jazz electrics. Hmmm...

I'm not into metal.
I like strumming and learning melodic scales/riffs, slow ones, for now anyways.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:21 AM

Go to stores or jams or friends and try different types of guitars with the same or similar amp. Delay the gratification and sort out the tone and feel.

I tried bunches of guitars and before I got an expensive keeper for life felt some brands not the big two were really good. Yamaha, PRS' SE line, and some Korean made guitars had great build quality.

After going a bit GAS crazy and then selling stuff off it was Telecasters and ES style (Gibson ES-335) that remained satisfying in ways that are hard to describe.

Something crazy about a Telecaster is it is not always my favorite or the easiest to play but something is always appealing about it being a few pieces of wood and metal, popular for generations, and a whole lot of people got a whole lot of different sorts of good music out of them.

As an acoustic player the semi hollow with .011 string set also has a lot of times when it feels right and mine is a little easier to play. The 4 knob style humbucker also makes some tone my ears always like.

Have fun with all your trials and shopping. Don't forget my earlier obsession to try and test the guitars with a same amp or know how they are with a same amp. As an example most stores will have a PRRI or Blues Junior.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 AM

Half the 'sound' of an electric guitar is the amp you're plugged into, so consider that, as well, when you are auditioning guitars. You can rarely go wrong with the sound of a Strat or Tele plugged into a Fender tube amp. Same thing with an LP plugged into a Marshall.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-19-2018, 08:11 AM

The Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe 50s or Customs are incredibly good and are very affordable. There are many youtube videos available to demonstrate what I'm saying. And the Tele's are easily modified for pick-ups, bridges etc. although many are quite happy with the stock versions.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM

A Tele is more or less the same size as a Strat so it must have been something else. A Strat has a contoured body, which I really like, and a Tele can be more like a brick. You might like a Les Paul but I'm guessing you will like something like a 335.

You just need to get down to your local shop and check 'em out
Old 04-19-2018, 10:14 AM

Thanks for comments.
I'll go to GC sometimes.
I have never played there and I think the last time I was there was like 4 years ago and I didn't know any chords then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Half the 'sound' of an electric guitar is the amp you're plugged into, so consider that, as well, when you are auditioning guitars. You can rarely go wrong with the sound of a Strat or Tele plugged into a Fender tube amp. Same thing with an LP plugged into a Marshall.
I have some practice amps.
A Vox AD15VT, Roland MicroCube and a Squier(only for testing).

I'm not buying pricey amp until I get decent at playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
A Tele is more or less the same size as a Strat so it must have been something else. A Strat has a contoured body, which I really like, and a Tele can be more like a brick. You might like a Les Paul but I'm guessing you will like something like a 335.

You just need to get down to your local shop and check 'em out
I think I liked tele because it is much thicker and heavier than a strat?
335 or archtop models should feel little bigger.
I see there are few Ibanez artcore models and Gretsch that look like they are hybrid of 335 and archtop.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Since you like tele's, MusiciansFriend often has the G&L Tribute (import) models as their Stupid Deal of the Day. Definitely a cut above beginner level...
Old 04-19-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
The Squier Telecaster Classic Vibe 50s or Customs are incredibly good and are very affordable. There are many youtube videos available to demonstrate what I'm saying. And the Tele's are easily modified for pick-ups, bridges etc. although many are quite happy with the stock versions.
I bought a second-hand butterscotch Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster from Ebay a few months ago and have since had a decent setup done.

Regardless of price it is a very nice guitar. The pickups sound great from creamy to snarling sounds though obviously it isn't a metal machine.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

I am by no an expert on electrics I just restarted with electrics year an 1/2 ago
After 50 years of acoustic BUT that said one good practice regardless of what the product is try to decide on a budget range then shop . Also a budget range gives people here a better idea of what things to suggest.

If your after a bigger feel then it would seem that indeed a hollow or semi hollow body might be a real consideration. In the $1000 and slightly below The Gretsch 5420 and 5422 series get a lot of love

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-19-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:58 PM

If you want something larger an import Gretsch or Ibanez semi-hollowbody might be the ticket. Or something similar. A Tele may "feel" bigger than s Strat because of no forearm bevel, but it's actually 2 inches shorter than a Strat.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars