The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2018, 12:23 PM

Default Roland AC90 or QSC K8.2 ??? Thoughts?

So I am unable test either of these two amps before purchase and wanted to get your thoughts and input if you have a moment?

I’m looking to get out and perform again. Previous amps have been Crate 125D, Ibanez Troubadour25, Small Samson PA system and currently have a ZT Lunchbox Acoustic. I play a Rainsong Shorty with a Fishman System in it and vocals thru a Shure SM58

I like the Lunchbox but am looking for a fuller/louder sound with a good compromise between good vocal and good guitar sound. My experience with PA’s have been:good vocals/generally thin sounding acoustic. If I plug my guitar in direct to the QSC do you think it will be similar? My experience with acoustic amps has been: better guitar sound/generally lackluster vocals. But I have heard good things about the quality of vocals/guitar on the Roland.

So I guess my main two questions are, if you’ve played as a guitarist/vocalist thru either amps - what were your thoughts?

My bonus question would be for those who have used the QSC, have you A/B-ed the 8.2 with the 10.2 and what were your impressions? I like the size and weight of the 8.2. Is the extra girth (size/weight) worth it doing the 10.2?
Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggie999 View Post
So I am unable test either of these two amps before purchase and wanted to get your thoughts and input if you have a moment?

I’m looking to get out and perform again. Previous amps have been Crate 125D, Ibanez Troubadour25, Small Samson PA system and currently have a ZT Lunchbox Acoustic. I play a Rainsong Shorty with a Fishman System in it and vocals thru a Shure SM58

I like the Lunchbox but am looking for a fuller/louder sound with a good compromise between good vocal and good guitar sound. My experience with PA’s have been:good vocals/generally thin sounding acoustic. If I plug my guitar in direct to the QSC do you think it will be similar? My experience with acoustic amps has been: better guitar sound/generally lackluster vocals. But I have heard good things about the quality of vocals/guitar on the Roland.

So I guess my main two questions are, if you’ve played as a guitarist/vocalist thru either amps - what were your thoughts?

My bonus question would be for those who have used the QSC, have you A/B-ed the 8.2 with the 10.2 and what were your impressions? I like the size and weight of the 8.2. Is the extra girth (size/weight) worth it doing the 10.2?
I just got an 8.2. I have only had it for one day. I did not A/B with the 10.2. What sold me on the 8.2 was the horizontal coverage angle is 105 degrees, where the 10.2 is 90. The freq response of the 8.2 is 59 to 20000 and the 10 is only slightly better at 56-20000. They both deliver the same amount of power, and the 8.2 is 5 pounds lighter at 27 pounds.
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-04-2018, 12:37 PM

The K8 will be plenty. No need for a K10. They sound great and the new ones have detailed equalization control. But, no reverb and few knobs for quick changes on the fly.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 AM

Close.... but no cigar?

Not quite the same gear, I have a Roland AC60 and a couple each of the original K8's and K10's.

I imagine that the AC90 is a slightly better amp in most respects to my 60, bigger speakers and more power. But that series are all pretty good for a decent sound both with vocals and guitar.

Mine however is now relegated to Busking duty and otherwise gathers dust.

Personally I would not be likely to buy another amp. I feel you get far better value in all respects from a powered speaker and a compact mixer or a preamp of some sort. You 'can' plug straight in and I have done so, but the extra capability of the much greater headroom with the speaker and input control via mixer or pre makes it a no brainer.

As for the 8 vs the 10.... as someone else noted the 8 has wider dispersion and does not give up much in range. The 10 does give a bit more bottom, but is also larger and heavier, so might be the go if you do a lot of body tapping or similar.

As ever it depends on what you want and how you will use it.

Kris
Old 04-05-2018, 06:12 AM

I too would go for the Qsc. But i would definitely
pair it with a small mixer.and a preamp for the guitar.
You'll have much more control over your sound
and won't have to get up walk over to the speaker
to make adjustments. I would not plug directly
into the qsc. If that's your plan then go with the amp.
This is probably why you say your guitar sounds thin.
impedance mismatch and lack of eq and preamp.
I went from the k12 to the K10. And noticed a
less full more midrange sound out of it. But that
slight difference was worth the tradeoff(weight and bulk)..going
from the 10 to the 8 may be even more.
Sorry i've never owned the 8 . personally
unless you have back issues the k10 is
as small as i would go.

Last edited by varmonter; 04-05-2018 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 AM

Thank you so much for all the input. Such a great forum. Lots to think about!
Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 AM

I had an AC90 at the same time as I had a K10. In a smaller room with not much background noise, an AC90 can do a good job with both guitar and vocals at the same time. I would characterize it as good at spreading sound around at moderate levels but not good at throwing a lot of sound or throwing it very far. It has enough in the way of onboard eq and effects to get you through without extra gear if you can get the levels you need. Comes with a decent carry case/bag too. The K10 is capable of being much louder and clearer and reaching much further into the room. Just a stronger speaker all the way around. Different animals.

I did not keep the AC90 because it didn't have sufficient volume to meet my needs (band and not solo situation).

Sorry no direct experience playing live with a K8 but they spec pretty close to the K10. Basically you don't get something for nothing, so higher dispersion basically comes at the expense of throw (magical stuff aside). So it depends on your needs and preferences at that point.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification