The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Default TC Body Rez

Anyone use this in conjunction with a preamp like the Para DI or something similar? Does this sound good with the preamp or is it redundant to use both? I am thinking of ordering a Body Rez because I think I need a little more help with the naturalness department when my guitar is plugged in, although the Para DI does a pretty good job on its own smoothing things out. Just wondering if the Body Rez would be a waste of money in my case. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

I use a TC BodyRez with my PARA DI into a little mixer and then into my Bose S1 Pro. If you click on the link for the Bose in my sig line below it will take you to the review I did where I talk briefly about the TC.

It works great. I use the TCBR to give the signal some compression and it scoops out the mids while adding some highs and lows. The PARA I need primarily to remove (notch) out the problem frequencies and sweepable mids to kill the boxy mid tones. Then the mixer does the final EQ tweaking. I like the current setup quite a bit with my K&K equipped guitars.
Old 04-01-2018, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I assume you run the guitar into the Body Rez, then into the PARA?
Old 04-01-2018, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullplayer View Post
Thanks for the reply. I assume you run the guitar into the Body Rez, then into the PARA?
Yes, current signal chain is as thus: Guitar > Ernie Ball VP Jr > Mooer Ocean Machine > TCE BodyRez > TCH Harmony G-XT (through for harmony key) > PARA DI > mixer > Bose S1 Pro PA.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:02 PM

I was using the TC Body Rex built into Play Acoustic, but disabled it when I got a Tonedexter. If natural sound is your target, that device is the best tool available and it is a pre-amp as well, with eq and boost built in. Check out Doug Young's review and demo on Youtube.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-01-2018, 07:32 PM

I never was able to get an acceptable sound from the Bodyrez. Then I got a Tonedexter.

I'll be putting the Bodyrez up for sale one of these days.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 PM

Default TC Body Rez

I really like the sound of my Boss AD-2. I think with body resonance pedals that have just one model, it is sort of the luck of the draw how well they work with your particular guitar. With mine it sounds very good (an Epiphone DR-500MCE).

I like that the AD-2 has a balanced line out (1/4” TRS) so that it works like a direct box with the right cable adapter. It also runs on batteries, has a notch filter and a decent basic reverb built in. You can have the reverb go either to both outputs, or just the unbalanced one depending upon how you set it up. This is good if you are using it as a direct box and want to send reverb to your monitor amp, but not to the sound man. A 9v rechargeable battery easily lasts through a three or four hour gig.

I also have the Boss VE-8 but the resonance effect in that is not as good as it is in the AD-2. I also prefer the AD-2 body resonance effect to that in my Voicelive 3. Again, that may just be that it is a better match with my particular guitar though.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:14 AM

I use a bodyrez with Baggs Venue. Because one of my amplified acoustic guitars has a K&K pure mini, and there are issues with impedance (I think it is!), my signal chain is guitar > bodyrez > venue with a Specular Tempus delay/reverb pedal in the effects loop. Works v well with both my Brook (K&K) and Gibson Dove (Baggs M1 passive). The only issue is I have to adjust the gain level between the two (the K&K is a hot pick-up).
Old 04-02-2018, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I really like the sound of my Boss AD-2. I think with body resonance pedals that have just one model, it is sort of the luck of the draw how well they work with your particular guitar. With mine it sounds very good (an Epiphone DR-500MCE).

I like that the AD-2 has a balanced line out (1/4” TRS) so that it works like a direct box with the right cable adapter. It also runs on batteries, has a notch filter and a decent basic reverb built in. You can have the reverb go either to both outputs, or just the unbalanced one depending upon how you set it up. This is good if you are using it as a direct box and want to send reverb to your monitor amp, but not to the sound man. A 9v rechargeable battery easily lasts through a three or four hour gig.

I also have the Boss VE-8 but the resonance effect in that is not as good as it is in the AD-2. I also prefer the AD-2 body resonance effect to that in my Voicelive 3. Again, that may just be that it is a better match with my particular guitar though.
Another vote for the Boss AD-2 from me - it has more control than the Body Rez, and to my ears a nicer sound.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 04-02-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

The Boss AD-2 seems like a great option as well. I've just ordered one to test drive it with my setup. If it works it will replace the BodyRez and the PARA DI. Since I use the PARA primarily to help notch out feedback frequencies my hope is that the Boss AD-2 will cover that plus do the job of the BodyRez while the EQ is handled at the mixer. I'll report back in a few days with what I find.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 AM

I've used the BodyRez w/a PADI, a PZ Deluxe, and straight into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I agree with the opinion that it really depends on your guitar and pickup. With my LB6-fitted Alvarez MD65, it cut out too much midrange and boosted the highest frequencies too much for that particular guitar. When I used it with my PADI into a PA, I tried cutting the treble slightly and dialing in a little more mids at 400hz. When used with my LB6 loaded Yamaha LL16, it seemed to be a positive enhancement. Again, it depends on the voice of your guitar and the frequency response of your pickup. It has a one-size fits all EQ curve that may or may not represent the truest tone of your guitar. I used it at a coffeehouse on Saturday with my Yammie into my Loudbox mini and it sounded nice but the mids were a little thinned out. Strumming was pleasant, fingerpicking lacked a little presence.

I'd recommend experimenting with its settings and try it in front of your PADI and also in its effects loop to see which sounds better to your ears. From what I've heard and read, the Boss AD2 may be a better choice, based on its preset EQ and built in reverb. I haven't tried it but Boss makes great gear.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

I did some experimenting today with just running the BodyRez straight into the mixer and counting on the mixer to do all the EQ'ing - no go. I've noticed this in the past with amplifiers and/or PA signal chains in that with K&K equipped guitars I always seem to need to have a preamp with at least some EQ controls to get the very best sound. Generally I set the EQ on the mixer and the amp/PA to flat and dial in the best tone I can at the preamp and once that's done then I do final EQ tweaks on the mixer and/or PA/amp.

Based on this I'm doubtful that the Boss AD-2 will work for me as a replacement for the PARA and BodyRez. It might work in addition to the PARA to replace the BodyRez in that it would give me the acoustic resonance but also still have that single knob notch which would be a helpful feature to have as a way to kill off feedback on the fly. I would not need/use the reverb since I have that covered both on the Mooer Ocean Machine and the mixer which has surprisingly good reverb for such an inexpensive unit.

While I find I can dial out most feedback issues with the PARA it can be a bit of a process. And when I'm playing live I find that the feedback issues can change from moment to moment based on capo position or just time. I find the ability to be able to reach over and dial out an annoying frequency with the simple twist of a single knob to be quite desirable.

Last edited by Methos1979; 04-02-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM

I had a BodyRez and ended up selling it. I’ve got an AD-2 and it works great.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I did some experimenting today with just running the BodyRez straight into the mixer and counting on the mixer to do all the EQ'ing - no go. I've noticed this in the past with amplifiers and/or PA signal chains in that with K&K equipped guitars I always seem to need to have a preamp with at least some EQ controls to get the very best sound. Generally I set the EQ on the mixer and the amp/PA to flat and dial in the best tone I can at the preamp and once that's done then I do final EQ tweaks on the mixer and/or PA/amp.

Based on this I'm doubtful that the Boss AD-2 will work for me as a replacement for the PARA and BodyRez. It might work in addition to the PARA to replace the BodyRez in that it would give me the acoustic resonance but also still have that single knob notch which would be a helpful feature to have as a way to kill off feedback on the fly. I would not need/use the reverb since I have that covered both on the Mooer Ocean Machine and the mixer which has surprisingly good reverb for such an inexpensive unit.

While I find I can dial out most feedback issues with the PARA it can be a bit of a process. And when I'm playing live I find that the feedback issues can change from moment to moment based on capo position or just time. I find the ability to be able to reach over and dial out an annoying frequency with the simple twist of a single knob to be quite desirable.
I will say that the AD2 is intended to be a simplified acoustic preamp and does offer a balanced out (using a TRS to XLR cable), which the BodyRez does not. It has a little more juice and a less severe EQ and a notch, so it might be worth trying to run it straight into a mixer. I do think the AD2 into a Para would prob be preamp overkill.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 04-02-2018, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
I will say that the AD2 is intended to be a simplified acoustic preamp and does offer a balanced out (using a TRS to XLR cable), which the BodyRez does not. It has a little more juice and a less severe EQ and a notch, so it might be worth trying to run it straight into a mixer. I do think the AD2 into a Para would prob be preamp overkill.
Agree the two would be preamp overkill. In addition to the Boss I did order a TRS to XLR cable so I could run it directly into the mixer. I'm still doubtful it will be enough but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it is. I'm all about simplicity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification