The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Compression/compressor pedal?

How many people that play live use a compressor pedal or a multi-pedal or amp that has compression built in? Asking for a friend...
Old 03-29-2018, 03:22 PM

The widely recommended one for acoustic is the Mooer Yellow Compressor mini pedal.

I tried it and in my opinion it is essentially a boost with a tone control. I'm sure it compresses to some extent. But it didn't do anything for me. So it now sits in my collection of stuff I don't use.

The next time I need a boost with tone control, I'll use it for that.

EDIT: I gave this another try and it's now on my pedalboard always-on. Smoothes everything out and adds some body to the sound.

Last edited by lovgren; 04-02-2018 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Tried this pedal again, new opinion.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:51 PM

For acoustic guitar, I prefer rack effects compression from an external processor or a mixing desk. For acoustics, it's about taming the intensity of the attack when really digging in. For electric, I prefer using a compressor pedal. It gives that extended sustain that is helpful with electric guitars.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:32 PM

I use a comp a lot. Not quite always on but it does smooth things a little and suits a lot of the stuff I play. Especially useful to soften the edges on a bit of slide work, which can sound a little harsh on the old acoustic.

This one ... http://www.cmatmods.com/deluxe-signa-comp.html
Quiet, clean and smooth with plenty of adjustment.

Kris
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 PM

I have on my pedal board an Xotic SP Compressor pedal. I have it dialed in to where I think it adds a little warmth to the tone.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM

I use a Diamond compressor pedal.
Not the yellow one The black one.
not sure if there is a difference.
I find it just smooths out the overtones
a bit. It's always on a bit.,
Old 03-30-2018, 08:38 AM

Thumbs up

I have tried a few different compressors: the OKKO Coca Comp, The Diamond, and the Keeley Compressor Pro, all of which are optical compressors. In my opinion, you want an optical compressor when using with acoustic guitar; they are very transparent. The Diamond Compressor is extremely transparent and can do very light compression to super-squashy compression, however I have never utilized it that way. The Keeley Compressor Pro is the most musical compressor I have ever used, and in my opinion, as close as you can come to a rack-mount compressor in a pedal. It is currently on my acoustic board and always on.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 AM

I'm using a split channel setup with a Tonedexter on the first and a Boss AD-2 on the second. The Boss unit is used to fatten the middle and does it well, I believe primarily because the signal is compressed and possibly saturated even with the controls all the way off.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm a fingerstyle player but on a few songs I do strum a bit and since I don't use a pick I use a 'clamped' thumb and index finger combo to get some attack which can sometimes be difficult to control the dynamics created. So that would be my primary need for a compressor. Something to tame those moments while bring up the softer things. Great suggestions all.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:38 PM

FX Engineering RAF Compressor.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=5537525

http://www.fxeng.com/
Old 04-02-2018, 05:31 PM

I posted above that I didn't care much for the Mooer Yellow Comp, but I tried it again and I now have a different opinion. I think it smoothes out my dynamics and makes quiet passages more audible and prevents full strumming from taking over the vocal. So it's now always-on.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I have on my pedal board an Xotic SP Compressor pedal. I have it dialed in to where I think it adds a little warmth to the tone.
Hi. I’ve read you use this pedal with the Zoom A3 and have it placed after, not before. Just wondering what led you to the placement. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:10 PM

I use the Origin Effects Cali 76 CD and LOVE it!
Old 04-25-2018, 06:37 PM

I have a few compressors and either have or had most mentioned and more. The Stymon OB1 is my first, and the TC Hypergravity is my second choice. Too much squish kills the dynamic playing. For finger picking, I use the Fishman Platinum pro eq. It has the right compression for that style.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:15 PM

Default Compression/compressor pedal?

I’ve been through many compression pedals on my electric guitar pedalboard. I would think a VCA style compressor would be best on acoustic. The 2 that I like are the Keeley compressor pro and the one I am currently using on my electric pedal board: the PettyJohn Crush.

I also really like the origin effects compact deluxe pedal. It definitely has a sound, and isn’t as transparent, but that sound is wonderful.

Last edited by aaronmarkson; 04-25-2018 at 08:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification