The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Default repairing a reverb unit

My Accutronics (8EB2C1B) unit in my Fender Stage 60 amp had a broken wire on the inside. Since it looked nearly impossible to still use the plastic connector, I just decided to get rid of that, bend the prongs out to the side a bit, and then soldered both the black and green wires right to the appropriate prongs.

Any idea, from those who have done this sort of work (first time for me repairing one of these) - given that there is a good amount of vibration taking place in the pan, is doing a solder something that will likely hold up? I was actually researching new pans (MOD seems to come up alot) and was planning on buying one until I noticed the broken wire - looked like a fairly easy fix until I saw how the wires come into and go through the connector. (Worst part was getting those 4 springs re-hooked!) Thanks for any suggestions. If the soldered connections don't hold up, then I'll probably just buy a new unit.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Guitar Gourmet

A new unit is $18-25 (GOOGLE). The biggest deal is that for your solder joints to have any chance of long-term success there needs to be a physical joint that actually holds the wires together before you solder.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:17 PM

I have fixed them in the past. I don't recall any follow-up problems after the various fixes (spring and solder joint failures).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-28-2018, 04:49 PM

+1 on Bob's answer. They're too cheap to fool with and easy to find replacements.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification