The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2023, 07:06 AM

Default Any 1994 Martin D-1 owners here?

I guess not.
Just got my first Martin, a D-1, and cannot bring up any information here about this model when I try a 'search.'
What strings would it have been sold with new?
Thank you for anything that you can add.

2017 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany;
2006 Alvarez AJ60SC/12 NAT
1994 Martin D-1
1992 Guild JF-30 BL, Westerly build

Last edited by DianeA; 11-12-2023 at 12:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:35 PM

I had one and a friend still does.
Nice guitar!
Solid Sitka top, solid Mahagony back and laminated sides.
IMO Martin recommended lights on it.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:59 PM

Diane, Martin would have strung the guitar with Martin brand strings at the factory, and recommended light gauge, according to Merlin.

I’d suggest that you try some John Pearse phosphor bronze lights on it and see how you like them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-12-2023, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Are you using the advanced Google search, or the built in search?

For the native search function both D1 and D-1 are too short to be valid search terms.

Searching the site from google should give you better results.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 11-12-2023, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Are you using the advanced Google search, or the built in search?

For the native search function both D1 and D-1 are too short to be valid search terms.

Searching the site from google should give you better results.
Hi,
I searched on this website only.
I wrote Martin D1. And Martin D-1. Tried to also use quotes because I got all the D18 responses ever written!! LOL
A Google search brings up some reviews.
Thank you

1994 Martin D-1
Old 11-12-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin17 View Post
I had one and a friend still does.
Nice guitar!
Solid Sitka top, solid Mahagony back and laminated sides.
IMO Martin recommended lights on it.
Hi,
I don't pretend to have the most discerning ear, but when I heard this guitar at a jam last month, fairy dust fell from my eyes. I never thought I would ever have a Martin, but it's owner made me a great deal. And I am now a Martin owner!!

So then some major surgery was scheduled and for some reason I put my other instruments for sale on Craigslist. Fast forward a week, surgery was a huge success, and my inbox was full of replies to my ads.... gulp. What was I thinking!! I had to humbly explain that I changed my mind about selling.

I have been told the D-1 is an entry level model so I guess I am off on an adventure!!
Thank you

1994 Martin D-1

Last edited by DianeA; 11-12-2023 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-12-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Diane, Martin would have strung the guitar with Martin brand strings at the factory, and recommended light gauge, according to Merlin.

I’d suggest that you try some John Pearse phosphor bronze lights on it and see how you like them.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade, I have a set of those and will put them on.
I wonder if I can get an arm rest to attach.

1994 Martin D-1
Old 11-12-2023, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeA View Post
Hi,
I don't pretend to have the most discerning ear, but when I heard this guitar at a jam last month, fairy dust fell from my eyes. I never thought I would ever have a Martin, but it's owner made me a great deal. And I am now a Martin owner!!

So then some major surgery was scheduled and for some reason I put my other instruments for sale on Craigslist. Fast forward a week, surgery was a huge success, and my inbox was full of replies to my ads.... gulp. What was I thinking!! I had to humbly explain that I changed my mind about selling.

I have been told the D-1 is an entry level model so I guess I am off on an adventure!!
Thank you
Congrats on your D1 Diane! I have a mahogany/spruce 000-1 from the same series, they are nice guitars. They were only made between 1993 and 2005, are not be confused with the more modern 1series guitars. The mahogany version like yours has a solid mahogany back and laminated sides. The rosewood had a lam back & sides.
Enjoy your Martin!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 11-12-2023, 09:35 PM

Hi Diane- I do own one of those D-1s from the 90's. That run, as you read, has a solid spruce top, solid mahogany back, and laminate mahogany sides.

It was my first decent guitar and I keep it in Nashville tuning.

No idea what strings came on it, just pick something that you think you would like. There's no need to keep the same strings on it or anything.
Old 11-12-2023, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Wade, I have a set of those and will put them on.
I wonder if I can get an arm rest to attach.
If you get a John Pearse armrest it’ll attach just fine. There’s a strip of non-adhesive material protecting the adhesive strip, but it peels right off.

What I suggest you do is figure out where you want the armrest to go, and do a dry run with the adhesive still covered. Once you know where you’re going to put the armrest, put a strip of blue painter’s tape at each end of where it’s going to go, as a guideline. Then peel off the protective layer and place the armrest down firmly, being sure to make certain to press down along its entire length.

And you’re done!

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-13-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
If you get a John Pearse armrest it’ll attach just fine. There’s a strip of non-adhesive material protecting the adhesive strip, but it peels right off.

What I suggest you do is figure out where you want the armrest to go, and do a dry run with the adhesive still covered. Once you know where you’re going to put the armrest, put a strip of blue painter’s tape at each end of where it’s going to go, as a guideline. Then peel off the protective layer and place the armrest down firmly, being sure to make certain to press down along its entire length.

And you’re done!

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Well, I put the slim line rest on my GSMini and love the look & feel.
Which size would work on a dread? Off to research...

1994 Martin D-1
Old 11-13-2023, 07:41 AM

Congrats on your new guitar! I don't own a D-1 but I've played and worked on a number of them and am a big fan. They don't have the volume and just don't sound like a D-18 so some traditional Martin players scoff at them but it's their loss. They have a wonderful full sound and the A-frame bracing seems to keep the tops from deforming so they string height stays pretty consistent over the years. I feel like they're kind of a strummers dream! From the first one I played back in the 90's I thought Martin was really on to something. I'm down to one dreadnaught now and rarely play it but if I were in the market for another big guitar, a D-1 would be a strong contender.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
Congrats on your new guitar! I don't own a D-1 but I've played and worked on a number of them and am a big fan. They don't have the volume and just don't sound like a D-18 so some traditional Martin players scoff at them but it's their loss. They have a wonderful full sound and the A-frame bracing seems to keep the tops from deforming so they string height stays pretty consistent over the years. I feel like they're kind of a strummers dream! From the first one I played back in the 90's I thought Martin was really on to something. I'm down to one dreadnaught now and rarely play it but if I were in the market for another big guitar, a D-1 would be a strong contender.
Thank you, that's me, a strummer!!
The action on this guitar is nice from one end o the neck to the other, which encourages me to play the few songs I know wi chords in the 12th fret area like John Denver's Cold Nights in Canada (I think that's the name) without thinking. I am so happy!
On another note, the LR Baggs Lyric battery pack was pasted over the serial number. Any recommendations on how to remove the doublestick tape?
Thank you

1994 Martin D-1
Old 11-13-2023, 10:51 AM

I have a D1-R from 1994 which has laminated Rosewood back and sides. I use 80/20 strings on mine. Sounds good to me.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:12 PM

Default Yup, a "rescue" beater D1-CE

Quote:
I guess not.
Just got my first Martin, a D-1, and cannot bring up any information here about this model when I try a 'search.'
What strings would it have been sold with new?
Thank you for anything that you can add.
I got my D1-CE off eBay. Crazy cheap (no electronics) except the out of focus pics were clearly designed to hide the fact that it was beat to hell and back. I Sherlock'd it to have been owned by a young person, possibly female due to the bits of glitter embedded in the back, and definitely NOT purchased by said young person - who obviously threw it across the room multiple times, probably during a fit of temper over a romantic thing.

Still got it, never let it go. I've had multiple PUs in it, just pulled a Fishman Rare Earth Mic Blend out of it - the mic, as almost all of these tiny mics are, was mostly useless and the center hole PU? Mag is mag, no matter how good something sounds on a Youtube vid it's just another mag PU.
Trying to install a LR Baggs Element undersaddle piezo now but having to experiment with many shim attempts to try and get the string to pick up evenly.
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion