The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Pickup for 000-18GE

What would you guys go with? Martin thinline? Anthem? D-Tar multisource?

I’ve used the lyric before and I’ve used a K&K and neither were what I was after. Looking for other options. I’m NOT going to setup a mic and be stationary. Lots of guys get great plugged in sounds. Looking for something that will get me there.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

I put a K&K in mine. I love the tone but it can be a challenge to dial out the feedback live. I had a D-TAR Wavelength Multisource in a 000-28EC once that was probably the best sounding pickup I've ever had but again the feedback was tough with the internal mic. Even with it dialed back if I accidentally turned toward the amp I paid dearly.

If I was going to do it again for live playing I might go with the best soundhole pickup system I could afford just to minimize having to deal with feedback as much as humanly possible. I hear the Sunrise soundhole pups are great but at almost $400 I'd have to really think that one through. I had an M80 in the 000-18GE before the K&K and I never really warmed to the tone I got with it.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're going to do with it.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I put a K&K in mine. I love the tone but it can be a challenge to dial out the feedback live. I had a D-TAR Wavelength Multisource in a 000-28EC once that was probably the best sounding pickup I've ever had but again the feedback was tough with the internal mic. Even with it dialed back if I accidentally turned toward the amp I paid dearly.

If I was going to do it again for live playing I might go with the best soundhole pickup system I could afford just to minimize having to deal with feedback as much as humanly possible. I hear the Sunrise soundhole pups are great but at almost $400 I'd have to really think that one through. I had an M80 in the 000-18GE before the K&K and I never really warmed to the tone I got with it.

I guess a lot of it depends on what you're going to do with it.
I play at churches (loud room) and play in a cover band (loud stage with drummer behind me).
Old 04-03-2018, 10:34 PM

I have a 000-14 custom shop w no pickup yet. Thinking Trance Audio Amulet phantom MVT soon.

Played 25 years in worship full band. So far I've used in various guitars, Sunrise, PUTW27, fishman mustfix, K&K, JJB, Baggs undersaddle wAura box, M1, M1A, M1wK&K dual source, Lyric, ES2. K&K w their pre always held its own. Then I retired from band but am filling in here and there lately. Actually liked ES2 in full loud band. Maury's Trance 'tube sample has me leaning that way.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrjones View Post
I play at churches (loud room) and play in a cover band (loud stage with drummer behind me).
In that case the K&K would likely not be a good choice! From everything I've read, soundhole pickups are your best bet for being the most natural at feedback resistance. That said they are also generally the least 'natural acoustic' sounding, so there is a trade off. But then again at loud stage volumes most say that 'natural sound' is not a big deal anyway since you're competing with the rest of the band. I'm play in an acoustic duo with just me on guitar and my wife on vocals so great acoustic tone is critical especially since I'm playing mostly delicate fingerstyle anyway.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For best feedback resistance, I'd recommend a DTAR under saddle transducer or a Baggs M80 mag pickup.

For best overall tone, I'd recommend a Trance Amulet Mono. It is also highly feedback resistant.

A lot of guys are raving about the Tone Dexter which appears to reduce the need for a great pickup. If you go that route, then probably a K&K or equivalent with Tone Dexter samples, but I've never played one, so I don't have first hand experience.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 04-04-2018, 08:23 PM

+1 for the Tonedexter and K&K. If the quality of sound is the most important issue, this is the best set of tools. Check out Doug Young's Youtube review, it is very accurate.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-04-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
+1 for the Tonedexter and K&K. If the quality of sound is the most important issue, this is the best set of tools. Check out Doug Young's Youtube review, it is very accurate.
Have a K&K in a guitar now. Don’t like it. At all. Like I said in the OP. Not buying another.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:34 AM

I put the L R Baggs Lyric in two of my guitars, ( Martin 000-15 and Yamaha FG730s), and a Fishman Rare Earth in another, ( Martin D-28). I like the Baggs better, the Fishman has lots of high end thats hard to tame. Not so bad in the D28 because of a deeper voice to start with.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have a K&K in a guitar now. Don’t like it. At all. Like I said in the OP. Not buying another.
Understood. Just keep an open mind about the Tone Dexter - its a game changer and the K&K becomes more of a vehicle of the tone rather than generating much tone itself. So people recommend it with the TD because it is low cost, no hassle.

You can also do the same with a UST or a Trance.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 04-06-2018, 08:05 AM

I recently installed a Trance Audio Amulet M in a guitar and am really impressed.

Everybody seems to have a tone and feel in their head that they want to hear when plugged in. For me, the trance accomplished this.

It has a good initial attack and immediacy that you get with a UST, but with a tone that sounds so much better. I think it’s still a little bit of an exaggerated tone and more punchy than the guitar unplugged, but I find that more useful live than a purely authentic tone.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What would you guys go with? Martin thinline? Anthem? D-Tar multisource?

I’ve used the lyric before and I’ve used a K&K and neither were what I was after. Looking for other options. I’m NOT going to setup a mic and be stationary. Lots of guys get great plugged in sounds. Looking for something that will get me there.
jrjones,

I have had all of the above systems installed among my various acoustic guitars. I like the Anthem best but the full version of the Anthem may not fit without modifying the bracing, which you probably would not want to do. It just depends on the particular bracing used in that model. I had to go with the Anthem SL version in my OMJM. It sounds very good, and is quite usable with a band, very few issues with feedback even at full band volumes. I do find I need to tweak the EQ a bit to notch out an offending frequency or two. So, you need an external EQ to do that and therefore I feel it is not exactly plug and play.

Some people also feel that the particular pickup material used in the Element undersaddle portion of the Anthem/Anthem SL has a negative impact on the acoustic tone of the instrument (dampens the volume a bit). Personally, I have not had an issue there but many people have reported it. You have quite a nice guitar with the 000-18GE. If it were me, I don't think I would want to take the chance messing with an undersaddle-based pickup in that guitar. And especially, I don't think I would want to take an instrument like that out to a band gig.

IMHO, your best bet is a magnetic pickup like the Baggs M1 or M80. Or, for the amount you'd spend on buying a pickup and getting it installed, for not much more you could probably get a beater Takamine guitar to bring out to the band gigs and leave the Martin at home. The Taks usually sound really good in a band setting.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Hope that helps!
Old 04-06-2018, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle1 View Post
jrjones,

I have had all of the above systems installed among my various acoustic guitars. I like the Anthem best but the full version of the Anthem may not fit without modifying the bracing, which you probably would not want to do. It just depends on the particular bracing used in that model. I had to go with the Anthem SL version in my OMJM. It sounds very good, and is quite usable with a band, very few issues with feedback even at full band volumes. I do find I need to tweak the EQ a bit to notch out an offending frequency or two. So, you need an external EQ to do that and therefore I feel it is not exactly plug and play.

Some people also feel that the particular pickup material used in the Element undersaddle portion of the Anthem/Anthem SL has a negative impact on the acoustic tone of the instrument (dampens the volume a bit). Personally, I have not had an issue there but many people have reported it. You have quite a nice guitar with the 000-18GE. If it were me, I don't think I would want to take the chance messing with an undersaddle-based pickup in that guitar. And especially, I don't think I would want to take an instrument like that out to a band gig.

IMHO, your best bet is a magnetic pickup like the Baggs M1 or M80. Or, for the amount you'd spend on buying a pickup and getting it installed, for not much more you could probably get a beater Takamine guitar to bring out to the band gigs and leave the Martin at home. The Taks usually sound really good in a band setting.

My 2 cents for what it's worth. Hope that helps!
+1...Beagle dude makes some great points and I agree that the Baggs M80 is an excellent choice. I've enjoyed the M80 in my D18 that I did not want to alter to keep it organic; and reasons Beagle stated about UST's, particularly the Anthem which is a nice sounding system. I gig with my D18/M80 plug n play into myLoudbox Performer, however, I would be remiss if not to add that you do have to dial it in with some judicious pole piece adjustments, placement within the soundhole and some surgical mid cuts via an eq and notch filter...I totally understand you want to perform with your prime instrument as I feel the same way. It's not as fun when your Ferrari is parked in garage when you need it at the track (LOL!) thus my M80 recommendation for your Ferrari GE.

** I have to add tho that my MIJ Taks have been outstanding and I use them more as a full-time performer, but they don't have to be the beater ones. If you go the Tak route, get a MIJ Pro Series, they are no slouch and every bit a hot rod and very rewarding in every way from my extensive experience with several models over the years.

*** Lastly, I have a 000-18e Retro and if it weren't for the F1AP, I would have gotten one sans electronics and would put in an M80...in addition to the dual-like sound, I like the ivory look and additional features.

Just to give you an idea, here's a live performance I've posted before of my D-18/M80 plug n play into my Loudbox, no additional eq or editing.

Best wishes,

eric

Last edited by noledog; 04-06-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the input today guys. I get that some folks don’t want to take nice guitars out, but I buy guitars to play them, not stare at them. If I can’t take a guitar out to a gig it’s wasted money to me. I carry insurance on my instruments through heritage so if something happens at a gig they’re covered for both the repair and devaluation.

I’m a really heavy strummer...probably has something to do with my background as a drummer. I need something that won’t buckle under that. I think the anthem sl is what I’ll probably end up with.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:45 AM

The Ultra Tonic, if you can find someone to install it is the best SBT hands down!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification