The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-26-2016, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
You're very welcome. I disagree, though, and feel the system will be very easy to EQ. My choice of setting the PA flat was in an effort to be fair, but had I dialed in a tasty EQ on the PA I'm sure I'd be very happy with the results. That's the only downer of keeping it flat.
You're gonna make me go back to the factory and record a 3rd video
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-26-2016, 04:14 PM

I think it might be easier to judge tone if all the samples were normalized to the same peak level. All the Enhance added samples sound louder to me.

FWIW, I didn't think the UST/Aura samples (w/Enhance off) sounded bad at all. I can recall Fishman's Joe Barbieri commenting that somewhere in the area of 30% to 40% sound image seemed to be the best blend for live performance. That's consistent with the blend which I preferred when using Aura.

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-26-2016 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I think it might be easier to judge tone if all the samples were normalized to the same peak level. All the Enhance added samples sound louder to me.

FWIW, I didn't think the UST/Aura samples (w/Enhance off) sounded bad at all. I can recall Fishman's Joe Barbieri commenting that somewhere in the area of 30% to 40% sound image seemed to be the best blend for live performance. That's consistent with the blend which I preferred when using Aura.
I too liked a 30-40% blend. However, even at those levels, I could hear the aura imaging more than the piezo tone with my spectrum DI. It sometimes depends on the image selected but it sounds like the aura in the VT Enhance system is set very low. I can really only hear a piezo tone.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You're very welcome. I disagree, though, and feel the system will be very easy to EQ. My choice of setting the PA flat was in an effort to be fair, but had I dialed in a tasty EQ on the PA I'm sure I'd be very happy with the results. That's the only downer of keeping it flat.
That's true. I don't want to make it sound like I hate the system as I think it's a very big improvement over the straight aura imaging. I just find that that the Anthem and Amulet sound more natural with less of that piezo tone. Obviously these are just two videos so I am not completely ruling out the system, it's just what I hear.

I did want to ask how you think it compares to your Amulet M? I believe I asked earlier but I don't think you specifically answered that question. I just know you are big on the Amulet so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again for the videos!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
That's true. I don't want to make it sound like I hate the system as I think it's a very big improvement over the straight aura imaging. I just find that that the Anthem and Amulet sound more natural with less of that piezo tone. Obviously these are just two videos so I am not completely ruling out the system, it's just what I hear.

I did want to ask how you think it compares to your Amulet M? I believe I asked earlier but I don't think you specifically answered that question. I just know you are big on the Amulet so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

You're very welcome. I like my Amulet the best so far, but that's admitting that I haven't had the chance to try the new VT Enhance at my gigs with my gear. I'm expecting that I'd probably like both the VT Enhance and the Amulet equally - as a listener in the audience. As a player, I'd like to see if the VT Enhance feels good. Know what I mean?
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-27-2016, 08:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Another thing worth mentioning, is that Martin didn't design this expecting players to dial in 100% Enhance. I spent some time chatting with Brenden at Martin & he cautioned me, that "just like the Aura imaging, Enhance is a great "icing" on top of the UST signal" (I'm paraphrasing). I'm willing to bet that, when used in moderation, the Enhance can be that last needed "bit of air/resonance" that the UST/Aura needs. I'll have to do another video of how I would set it up, if it were my gear & my gig in the Martin lobby. Stay tuned.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-27-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post

The Anthem may sound more natural, but these Enhance systems will undoubtedly be more useful for tapping (since the soundboard pickup captures the full frequency range). The Martin/Fishman introductory video stressed the fact that the Enhance systems were developed with "modern guitar techniques" in mind.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default My personal EQ choices

This time I spent 10 minutes fiddling with the SA-220 EQ and came to this result.

Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
This time I spent 10 minutes fiddling with the SA-220 EQ and came to this result.

Much better than the others videos.
Now i´m seeing the light of it..
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 01-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otavio View Post
Much better than the others videos.
Now i´m seeing the light of it..
Agreed! This was more compelling because it was optimized for the tone the system is capable of. Thanks Maurysmusic!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Sounds darn good to me, Maury.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:02 PM

I am with the others, I really liked the tone in that video! I guess we just have to wait and see if Fishman will find a way to sell this as an after market system.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification