The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
More curious about what looks like a 00-17S on the wall!
That was pretty nice. I uploaded a video of it in my NAMM videos thread in the Marketplace if you're interested.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 PM

So one quick question with all the "just inside the sound hole" controls - do they have a pre-cut-out feedback buster type rubber plug that retains access to those controls and still provides the needed feedback protection? I've done some cutting on the basic rubber feedback stopper, with varying degrees of success. If your not close enough to the controls and leave too big a gap, the effectiveness of the stopper is reduced. With the controls in place, it's not all that easy to accurately mark up where to cut - it's not the biggest problem in the world, or the most expensive trial & error DYI project, but it does sometimes make for a PITA. What the guitar industry needs is a "W**ther Tech Car Mat" laser cut type version of the feedback stopper that is cut so it still works.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:27 AM

For those who haven't seen it yet, there's an inside-the-guitar look at the Aura VT Enhance system in this NAMM vid, at around 3:50 into the vid.

https://youtu.be/P1r9jPsW-ro

The SBT housing appears to have some depth and be a black rectangular box attached directly under the saddle. I'm wondering if it could possibly be an accelerometer type pickup.

I wonder if the Fishman folks might offer this as a stand-alone pickup at some point. In this video, at about 13:15 into the vid, the demo player, Rob Ketch, makes the inference that the enhance pickup is less susceptible to handling noise and feedback than a typical SBT.

https://youtu.be/Q0hyhegjBgg

Last edited by guitaniac; 01-24-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I wonder how soon before Martin brings out the Fishman Aura VT Enhance in non-cutaway models: D-18E, HD-28E, etc.?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
For those who haven't seen it yet, there's an inside-the-guitar look at the Aura VT Enhance system in this NAMM vid, at around 3:50 into the vid.

https://youtu.be/P1r9jPsW-ro

The SBT housing appears to have some depth and be a black rectangular box attached directly under the saddle. I'm wondering if it could possibly be an accelerometer type pickup.

I wonder if the Fishman folks might offer this as a stand-alone pickup at some point. In this video, at about 13:15 into the vid, the demo player, Rob Ketch, makes the inference that the enhance pickup is less susceptible to handling noise and feedback than a typical SBT.

https://youtu.be/Q0hyhegjBgg
First off, I have to knock Martin/Fishman on making such a terrible video. I am referring to the second video that you posted. I saw that about a week ago and I couldn't believe how terrible they made the new system sound by covering it in effects.

I know there's only one video out there (thanks to Maury), but I am not sure if this pickup sounds any better than other options currently offered. I was really on the fence while listening to the demo. I loved what the Enhance brought to the tone but I am not sure if I heard a more natural tone or just a warmer/fatter tone. I think I am actually more interested in the Enhance pickup. I wonder if they will offer it without the Aura.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
First off, I have to knock Martin/Fishman on making such a terrible video. I am referring to the second video that you posted. I saw that about a week ago and I couldn't believe how terrible they made the new system sound by covering it in effects.

I know there's only one video out there (thanks to Maury), but I am not sure if this pickup sounds any better than other options currently offered. I was really on the fence while listening to the demo. I loved what the Enhance brought to the tone but I am not sure if I heard a more natural tone or just a warmer/fatter tone. I think I am actually more interested in the Enhance pickup. I wonder if they will offer it without the Aura.
Matrix VT Enhance.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-24-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Matrix VT Enhance.
Doesn't that system still have the Matrix UST as part of the system? I thought the only difference with this one is that there's no aura imaging.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I spent a few minutes today with the new Aura VT Enhance at the Martin factory. In this clip you're witnessing my first unrehearsed discovery of this new system. It's plugged direct into a Fishman SA220, close-mic'd with a Rode NTG-2 condenser. We're hearing very little (if any) unplugged acoustic tone bleeding into the video. What are your first impressions?

Maury, thanks for making the video demonstrating the new Aura VT Enhance system! The Martin OMC-28E sounds very good with both the Aura and Enhance at 100% for a 50/50 blended tone. The question now arises in my mind: Can a better onboard amplified tone ever be achieved than what is now available from the new systems from Martin (Aura VT Enhance) and also Taylor (ES2)? Maybe by adding an on-board mic? Then I think but why do that when both these systems sound very good as is?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Doesn't that system still have the Matrix UST as part of the system? I thought the only difference with this one is that there's no aura imaging.
Sorry 'bout that. I reread your post and see you're interested in just the Enhance SBT.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Sorry 'bout that. I reread your post and see you're interested in just the Enhance SBT.
No worries! I am excited to see if Fishman finds a way to make this pickup an after market option. The one thing I did hear in the video was a very large acoustic tone when the enhance was dialled in. Getting that kind of larger than life tone is often half the battle so that appeals to me.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:22 PM

Its shaping up to be an interesting year for the folks who favor soundboard pickups. I expect we'll be hearing much more about Fishman's Enhance pickup and DiMarzio's Black Angel Piezo.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

In-person, I heard a tone that was both warmer/fatter AND more natural. Not literally "my guitar only louder", but a wider, bigger tone with girth and some "space"to it.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's my 2nd attempt at recording the VT Enhance. What do you think?

Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-26-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Here's my 2nd attempt at recording the VT Enhance. What do you think?

Thanks Maury! I love hearing your demoes of the new VT Enhance system.

This time around I was not as impressed with the tone. What's a bit surprising is how low the aura imaging seems to be. With the Enhance pickup all the way off, the tone sounds pretty much like any standard UST. I am not in love with aura imaging but I feel as though it could have had a bit higher of a blend, which I don't believe the user can control (could be wrong!).

The Enhance definitely warms things up and brings more of a natural tone but it has a rather hollow/mid heavy tone to it. Even with the mids scooped, the Enhance sounded boxy to me. I just feel like this system would be difficult to eq. There's still a heavy piezo tone to the pickup but it's not bad.

Here's the thing though, this system needs two separate sound hole controls, a 9V output jack, a UST with aura imaging and an Enhance transducer to sound "good". A system like the Trance Amulet needs far less, is a single source system and sounds more natural and just better to my ears. Even the Lr Baggs Anthem has a far more natural tone. I can't wait to hear more from the VT Enhance but I think my excitement has dropped a bit.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks Maury! I love hearing your demoes of the new VT Enhance system.

This time around I was not as impressed with the tone. What's a bit surprising is how low the aura imaging seems to be. With the Enhance pickup all the way off, the tone sounds pretty much like any standard UST. I am not in love with aura imaging but I feel as though it could have had a bit higher of a blend, which I don't believe the user can control (could be wrong!).

The Enhance definitely warms things up and brings more of a natural tone but it has a rather hollow/mid heavy tone to it. Even with the mids scooped, the Enhance sounded boxy to me. I just feel like this system would be difficult to eq. There's still a heavy piezo tone to the pickup but it's not bad.

Here's the thing though, this system needs two separate sound hole controls, a 9V output jack, a UST with aura imaging and an Enhance transducer to sound "good". A system like the Trance Amulet needs far less, is a single source system and sounds more natural and just better to my ears. Even the Lr Baggs Anthem has a far more natural tone. I can't wait to hear more from the VT Enhance but I think my excitement has dropped a bit.
You're very welcome. I disagree, though, and feel the system will be very easy to EQ. My choice of setting the PA flat was in an effort to be fair, but had I dialed in a tasty EQ on the PA I'm sure I'd be very happy with the results. That's the only downer of keeping it flat.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification