The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2016, 09:35 PM

Exclamation Taylor Big Baby neck screws issue

Hi

I've run into an issue with my Taylor Big Baby with the neck bolting to the body. The guitar was previously in the case and has not been played in months. The wood has not cracked and the body is still in the same shape.

This is as tight as the screws will comfortably go using a hand screwdriver. They will not go any further into the countersink to actually secure the neck firmly to the body.

This leaves a gap like this if any tension is on the neck.

I am confused why the screws are stopping before they go all the way in. Would a possible fix be to carefully drill a small amount?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 AM

It looks to me that something is blocking it from coming down properly, likely a shim ?

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-07-2016, 01:01 AM

I haven't had one of these apart in a while, but this can happen if the screws are threading in the neck. Remove the screws completely, then press the neck flush in the pocket before reinstalling the screws. Hold the neck down until the screws engage in the block.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:24 AM

I have measured the height of tightened screws with and without the neck installed. Tightened with a hand screwdriver, not a power tool.

Same height from the guitar body to the top of the screw.

This picture was taken inside of the guitar pointed at the wood where the screws go into.

There is not some sort of screw anchor in there that could shift and misalign causing the screw to stop early?
Old 01-07-2016, 03:04 AM

I think we need some more info, what was wrong with the guitar that required the removal of the neck to start with, were you the one that removed the neck, what else has been changed since he neck was removed to this point were you are trying to put it back on

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-07-2016, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
I think we need some more info, what was wrong with the guitar that required the removal of the neck to start with, were you the one that removed the neck, what else has been changed since he neck was removed to this point were you are trying to put it back on

Steve
I bought the guitar new and it was fine but the action was a tad high. I took the neck off to put in a shim I ordered and it was perfect. When I changed string gauges I wanted to make another adjustment to the shim and truss for better playing feel. Now the problem with the screws showed up. I am sure I didn't replace the original wood screws with different ones that are the wrong length on accident either
Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 AM

From the photos they look original screws, so yes doubt they got mixed up somehow with something, if you have taken the neck of put a new shim in and put the neck back on in the space of an hr or so, then they are just not tight enough.

If you have taken the neck of, put it aside with the screws and then come back to it a day or so later, then anything could be wrong and really get someone to look at it for a second opinion before you possibly break the screws or bust out the top.

If you have a thin nail, you could check to see how deep the existing holes are, how thick the neck is and add the two together and see if there's an issue, but again, if the work was done in the space of an hr and you don't have more than one Taylor guitar apart, nothing could have possibly gone wrong that I can think of.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-07-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I have measured the height of tightened screws with and without the neck installed. Tightened with a hand screwdriver, not a power tool.

Same height from the guitar body to the top of the screw.
Interesting. Either the holes got shallower (something in the holes), the screws got longer, or you are using thinner shims.
Your options are to cut off the screws (my recommendation), or to deepen the holes.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:19 PM

this seems elementary. as i see it your choices are:

a. buy shorter screws.
b. cut pictured screws shorter.
c. buy the correct screws.
d. drill the holes deeper for pictured screws.
e. take guitar and credit card to Taylor service center.

rub some candle wax on those screws btw -they'll thread in easier.

good luck!

Last edited by arie; 01-07-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Default personal opinon

I vote for choice 'e'. Worth the time and effort to make a road trip to a Taylor service center or for-sure Taylor expert and watch the resolution if possible. Sure ain't worth compromising a nice instrument doing intuitive lutherie for the first time.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 AM

Back in action!

Without the neck on I used a power drill to drive the screws in further since they are cutting screws. Now the neck screws back on easily. Put new strings and its playing great!

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair