The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Default From paper plan to template

I am going to order a set of plans for my first build. I was wondering the best way to transfer the pattern on to the template. My template will be made of MDF or plastic. I don't want to cut out the paper plan, I'd rather leave that in tact. Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,
Old 11-15-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t58martin View Post
I am going to order a set of plans for my first build. I was wondering the best way to transfer the pattern on to the template. My template will be made of MDF or plastic. I don't want to cut out the paper plan, I'd rather leave that in tact. Any assistance is appreciated.

Regards,
Take your plan to Kinkos and have a copy made. Then cut the copy.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t58martin View Post
My template will be made of MDF or plastic.
Heavy card stock, available at artist supply stores, works very well for templates and is easy to work with.

Old-school may be to use tracing paper to trace the plan, then attach the tracing paper to your pattern material, MDF, plastic or card stock. Having the plans copied is also a good solution and not expensive, then attach those to your pattern material.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
This will work, but be aware that no photocopier copies at the exact size of the original.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
This will work, but be aware that no photocopier copies at the exact size of the original.
For getting the shape of the body etc. this is not a problem. Also one should not try to scale from a drawing but rather work from given dimensions.
Either way mentioned, copying or tracing will work fine.
Tom
Old 11-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I did that and the copies were distorted. I ended up tracing the originals with a thin piece of plexiglass.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:18 PM

Used parchment paper for baking to copy the shape I came up with on my computer. Taped the paper to a 32" TV and traced it out. Can not see why you can not do the same from paper plans. To transfer the shape I used a pin and poked holes through the paper into the wood. Then connected the dots with a pencil.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:13 PM

Default parts templates

I bet the plans vendor allows a customer to purchase multiple copies of the plan....I suggest buying three copies of the plan, you can cut one up for templates and whatever reason you need to cut up a drawing, and one can be on the wall for reference and the third used in the work area for what needs doing. Considering the overall project cost and time spent, I think it's cheaper to buy multiple copies of the plan up front. Then you don't need to run the car over to a copy center and spend time getting an imperfect copy. Mailman brings it all.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Can't the vendor provide a digital backup on pdf or similar format? If so you could get a plan printing shop or someone else you may know with a plotter to run off as many copies as you like for what should be a small fee (probably easy for me to say as I work in a surveying firm with a decent plotter at hand).

For anyone who knows how to use the plotter (which isn't hard) the scale & proportion should be guaranteed.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair