The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Default Need Cable advice

Hi guys,
First of all I want to say thanks to all the great folks on this forum for everything I have learned here.

I have decided to go electric with my playing at home and also the rare playing out event. After lots of reading here and other forums I have decided on purchasing the following.

K&K PWM pickup for my Martin OM21 Special.
Fishman SoloAmp
Digitech JamMan Looper Pedal.
Shure SM58 Mic

What I have no clue about is what kind of cables I will need and with what kind of connectors. If anyone can help me with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Consider...

CONSIDER...

Wireless!

Samson makes a very cool guitar rig where the receiver is the size of an effects pedal, and the transmitter is a little "bug" - just the guitar plug, not a separate pack.

AKG makes a snap-on XLR plug for the mic, and a half-rack size receiver.

Better would be the complete Shure 58 wireless unit, especially if you haven't bought the regular 58 yet. I just got the SLX Beta-58 rig.

Quality, fidelity? I've used the AKG dual-diversity systems for five years and I can't tell the difference. Frankly, since you're going 58, SoloAmp, etc, as opposed to SPS, Daedelous audiophile route, you won't hear degregation, I bet.

I LOVE my SoloAmp - great choice!

Have fun rigging up!

MIKE
Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 PM

One of the Guitar Player issues within the past year tested and reviewed cables. You can pay a lot but also get diminishing returns. By coincidence the Planet Waves cables I have were considered fine and they're not too expensive.

I have had one bad cheap cable that really made a lot of noise, but the relatively inexpensive ones I buy for pedals are not noisy.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Guest 720

So, Mike, forgive me, I know nothing about wireless. The wireless transmitter plugs into the standard cable jack on the gutar, and the reciever plugs into the amp, I guess, with a standard cable?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM

i usually make my own, but when i buy, i like the stuff from www.bayoucables.com. Butch makes good cables and the prices are good.
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM

Default Exactly!

You got it John!

I just DETEST wires - I go to ridiculous lengths to "be" wireless, even when / though I don't move around hardly at all. But when I play solo, I switch guitars fairly frequently and it makes it much easier, and I like to audition the room during soundcheck, and wireless is wonderful for that.

Buy Eveready stock!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 PM

bayou is good

I really like http://www.lavacables.com Mark has a complete line from inexpensive to really expensive and can give you an idea of the differences from one cable to the next.

My experience says that cables do sound different, but the difference may not be worth the upcharge. I go for mid level cables like the lava cable.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 AM

For the guitar to JamMan you'll want a decent guitar cable, with 1/4" standard plugs. My preference is an angled plug on the guitar, though it is a personal preference and not a mandate. Monster brand have been good to me. Cheapo cables are typically fragile, especially at the connector. It does suck when you start hearing your guitar cut out during a live performance, or you start getting lots of static and pops every time you move. IMO it is worth paying a bit more to get a strong durable cable.

Get a cable as short as you need, but as long as you need. Something like 12 feet from the guitar to the JamMan is likely to be good unless you move around all over the stage. From the pedal to the amp you similarly want a length as short and as long as you need. You might well be quite close to your amp and might get away with 6 feet, though I would go for a 12 footer.

For the mic you'll need a mic cable with XLR plugs (one male, one female). Length isn't so critical with a mic cable because it is a balanced signal and tends to cancel out noise. Live Wire brand has been good.

Buy at least one spare of each type of cord. For playing out, have at least a full set of spare new batteries for your whole rig. Buy some velcro cable wraps to organize your cables, and find a gym bag or similar item to carry all the crap to/from your gig. Take spare strings, a tuner, a spare capo, spare picks, etc.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 AM

Wow. That samson wire less thing looks cool! http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...cfm?prodID=145

Anyone know what the range on that little guy is? If it'll go 20-30 feet I think I'm gonna have to get one!

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 01-16-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Default Yep!

Yessir Buz - it IS cool. It'll go considerably past 30 feet. I think it's cool to not HAVE to use a rack...
Old 01-16-2009, 11:11 AM

I've bought from bayoucables.com, and gotten their Canare cabling (a Japanese make).

I like custom ordering, cause then I can get the exact length I want, plus I got one end to be a right angle plug, and the other end straight. I think Butch has gotten very popular which unfortunately can mean

I wouldn't spend too too much on cables though, I've believed in this wisdom (stolen from studio-central.com):

Q: Can you hear the difference between analog cables?
A: Yes, when the cheap one breaks.

Proper coiling and a little care, and all my cables (including the cheapo cable from the pawn shop of my first guitar purchase) still work fine.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:24 AM

Most cables would work out fine. From my playing experience, most people around here use Monster cables.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 AM

What I want from a cable is durability. I hate it when a cable goes bad prematurely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification