The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2018, 10:23 PM

Default advice for a microphone

I am a total amateur about sound equipment so please bear with me.

I have a Bugera AC60 amp that I plan to use when playing guitar & singing in a small room. It is 60 watt... has separate inputs for guitar & vocal.So what I need now is a mike to clip onto my collar.

I would greatly appreciate advice as to which mike to buy, under $150. Also, could I get a wireless mike at that price level? If so, which would sound better, at the same price level -- wireless mike or plug-in mike?

Aloha from Hawaii,
Bell
Old 04-01-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
So what I need now is a mike to clip onto my collar.
Is there a reason it needs to clip onto your collar—that presents a bunch of issues in a live setting (feedback, handling noise, erratic input levels, inability to get away from it if you need to cough or sneeze or whatever)?

Is there a reason you can't just get a used Shure SM58, a mic stand, and a mic cable?
Old 04-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Is there a reason it needs to clip onto your collar—that presents a bunch of issues in a live setting (feedback, handling noise, erratic input levels, inability to get away from it if you need to cough or sneeze or whatever)?

Is there a reason you can't just get a used Shure SM58, a mic stand, and a mic cable?
I agree, a clip on mic is def not the way to go. The sm58 sounds great and is not too pricey. You also have the ability to get up on the mic are when you are singing or hang back. This allows for vocal dynamics.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
... ... Is there a reason you can't just get a used Shure SM58, a mic stand, and a mic cable?
There is a reason -- My guitar cable is pretty long so I can move around a good bit while performing. A mike + stand would tie me to one spot. How about a headset mike instead of a clip on... same problems as to possible feedback etc?

However, if the mike+ stand will have a significantly better sound, that matters a lot.. I am only a so-so singer so I need all the help I can get. 😕
Old 04-01-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
There is a reason -- My guitar cable is pretty long so I can move around a good bit while performing. A mike + stand would tie me to one spot. How about a headset mike instead of a clip on... same problems as to possible feedback etc?

However, if the mike+ stand will have a significantly better sound, that matters a lot.. I am only a so-so singer so I need all the help I can get. ��
Honestly, I'd get an SM57 or 58 and a mic stand. Here's why:

- SM57s and 58s are bulletproof. They sound great. They last. They can take a beating.
- Again: a headset mic would still leave you unable to get away from it (coughing? sneezing? sniffing? forget the words?)

If you really want to move around and sing from multiple locations (how big is this stage, anyway??), set up a couple of SM57s.

You can certainly make a headset mic work, but to my mind, you'd need to be on a pretty large stage to make it matter as opposed to a mic on a stand. If you're talking about using an amp with a mic input, you're likely not on a stage big enough to make it worth the trouble.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:08 AM

I think event singing requires mic technique and the ability to move in and out - headset mics not really the answer I suspect.
Martin J40
Old 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM

If you have vocal dynamics bigger than your system can handle, then, yes, singing may require working the mic, but if your dynamics aren't an issue, then, no.

I think we've all seen vocalists on the tube who are rigged with them.

Here's my own example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqFtbwBM8k

Dragging a mic around stage that's hanging on your head, however, doesn't sound like much fun.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 04-02-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
If you have vocal dynamics bigger than your system can handle, then, yes, singing may require working the mic, but if your dynamics aren't an issue, then, no.

I think we've all seen vocalists on the tube who are rigged with them.

Here's my own example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqFtbwBM8k

Dragging a mic around stage that's hanging on your head, however, doesn't sound like much fun.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Interesting song, nicely contrasts the upbeat party song style .... the vocal sounds great BTW.... Is the mic wireless and what make and model and retail cost ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:41 AM

Hey Kev,

It was originally written for the Madoff's and their financial piracy co-mingled with some other bad things that were in my life at the time. Somehow seems pretty fitting for some of the stuff going on now, though.

The mic is a countryman E6 omni condenser mic. I can be used as a wireless or hard wired. In this video it was hard wired to one channel of the camera. My guitar was recorded through the Pure Western Mini (as it was called then) K&K pickup to a DI to the other channel of the camera.

About the idea of working the mic......I have mixed emotions. Obviously the human voice can have much greater dynamic range than most recording systems can handle. I think, if you know that up front and sing within the dynamic range given, you can make a very good recording.I've recorded people who say, "Watch me when I get to this part of the song, I really get loud." My unspoken response is, "Just don't."

Regards,

Ty
Old 04-03-2018, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Hey Kev,

It was originally written for the Madoff's and their financial piracy co-mingled with some other bad things that were in my life at the time. Somehow seems pretty fitting for some of the stuff going on now, though.

The mic is a countryman E6 omni condenser mic. I can be used as a wireless or hard wired. In this video it was hard wired to one channel of the camera. My guitar was recorded through the Pure Western Mini (as it was called then) K&K pickup to a DI to the other channel of the camera.

About the idea of working the mic......I have mixed emotions. Obviously the human voice can have much greater dynamic range than most recording systems can handle. I think, if you know that up front and sing within the dynamic range given, you can make a very good recording.I've recorded people who say, "Watch me when I get to this part of the song, I really get loud." My unspoken response is, "Just don't."

Regards,

Ty
I agree and also people sometimes forget "Working the mic" also means being aware of and able to adjust, ones singing to the mic in terms of amount of air and resulting dynamics as opposed to only meaning moving in and out on the mic. Also I noticed the mic is off to the side of your mouth a bit which would seem to logically make it less susceptible to plosives, than if it were the kind of headset that puts the mic directly in front of the mouth.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 04-03-2018, 07:15 AM

I'm trying to imagine a microphone asking for advice.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
My mikes never ask for advice, and when I offer it they just argue with me.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Well yes but unsolicited advice is often given

"Stand up straight you slacker , we don't need no gansta lean "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 PM

I just purchased the Shure sm58s mike plus cable, tripod etc from B&H Photo. In addition to photo stuff, they have lots of pro-audio stuff. I stuck with them because that's where I buy my photo gear so I feel comfortable with them guys.

Thanks for all the great advice & helpful comments. As you can see, I heeded. Aloha to you all! 😇

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD