The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Amp Versus Powered Speaker

Back before Christmas, I looked to purchase a Bose Compact while they were on sale. As luck would have it, My wife backed into my son's car and my pressure tank from my well went bad on the same day. Therefore my guitar/amp funds were depleted as well as my playing time.

I repaired all this stuff and now back in the search mode again. This time my budget must be reduced to around $500.00. I currently have a TC Helicon Play Acoustic and Behringer XR12. I had used both together and both as separate, individual pieces. Currently I feed them to a cheap, powered speaker (Powerwerks 150 with sub) or a Fishman LB Mini.

I play in church (feeding my signal to the FOH most often using the Play Acoustic), I play outdoor parties (poolside or back porch/deck settings), in large rooms (sometimes like a gym with no sound system) and often just at home (but plugged in, in my bonus room). 75% of my playing/singing is done in small settings where I need to provide my own equipment. My Powerwerks is okay, but seems really muddy when I crank it up. Someone mentioned on here that the Tweeter should be upgraded, but I can't seem to find what to use for replacement. Any ideas to upgrade this would be appreciated.

I am looking at the following:
- Fishman Loudbox Artist (same sound from the Mini but twice the power)
- Some form of powered speaker
- Turbosound Inspire 500
- Used Fishman SA220

Don't really need or want effects/eq in any of these units since I have all I need in processing power in the Play Acoustic and the XR12. I just want good sound at low and high volumes.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I don't think u can go wrong with the Fishman Artist. Small, easy to transport, loud and sounds good. I've been using mine for guitar and vocals up on a pole in small bars/restaurants, can definitely handle 100 people.
Good luck in your search.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

If you don't need effects or mixer... Then why not just get the best quality sounding powered speaker you can afford.

$500 gets you in QSC K10 area.. Used would be less. This will get you great sound and flexibility / expansion possibility.

Next there are the Alto brand for around $200-300 ea that get a lot of praise .. Or.. Save a few more bucks and get a used Bose L1C for $600-700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

This time my budget must be reduced to around $500.00.

I currently have a TC Helicon Play Acoustic and Behringer XR12. I had used both together and both as separate, individual pieces. Currently I feed them to a cheap, powered speaker (Powerwerks 150 with sub) or a Fishman LB Mini.

Don't really need or want effects/eq in any of these units since I have all I need in processing power in the Play Acoustic and the XR12. I just want good sound at low and high volumes.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
If you don't need effects or mixer... Then why not just get the best quality sounding powered speaker you can afford.

$500 gets you in QSC K10 area.. Used would be less. This will get you great sound and flexibility / expansion possibility.

Next there are the Alto brand for around $200-300 ea that get a lot of praise .. Or.. Save a few more bucks and get a used Bose L1C for $600-700?
Thanks Jake. Is QSC considered among the best? I read tons of reviews and many people commented on the great sound, but they rarely mentioned acoustic guitar or vocals. Usually just mention "loud and clear" for a band setting. That is actually a choice I was looking at as well as the K8.2. I don't need 2000 Watts, but the light weight and digital EQ would be nice to have with the Play Acoustic. And I rarely saw anyone mention these for something other than monitors. And always as a pair.

I am certainly open to try them. They have glowing reviews on here.

Anyone else using QSC K8 or K10? Just as a single sound sourse.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:52 PM

After much reading on this forum a few years ago when I was looking for PA--I settled on a single QSC K10 along with Zed10fx mixer. Many were using this set up at the time. Yes, the quality, sound and durability are very good in my opinion. QSC has a downward angle setting on the speakers so I found it easy to put the speaker behind me with the downward angle setting and it worked as a monitor as well. I did add a Jam400--but still use the K10 and no plan to sell it.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Another vote for the QSC.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-10-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Another vote for the QSC.
Went to look at a QSC K8.2 today. Expensive, but what an awesome speaker. I think I need to sell some stuff to make room in my budget for this extra $200.00.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:37 PM

The Fishman Loudbox Artist, hands down. I have the mini version which is awesome too, but if I had the extra money I would of bought the Artist. My neighbor friend has the Artist, nothing but good things to say about it. Can't go wrong with either the Mini or Artist to be honest.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 01-10-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
After much reading on this forum a few years ago when I was looking for PA--I settled on a single QSC K10 along with Zed10fx mixer. Many were using this set up at the time. Yes, the quality, sound and durability are very good in my opinion. QSC has a downward angle setting on the speakers so I found it easy to put the speaker behind me with the downward angle setting and it worked as a monitor as well. I did add a Jam400--but still use the K10 and no plan to sell it.
Like this guy, I have a JAM 400, but frankly it's too heavy to cart up some stairs in some places that I play, so I have other options that I use.

That said, I will give high praise to the QSC K10, it's a great sounding speaker and belies it's size, but recently I went to buy the new model and shot it out against the JBL PRX 710 and wound up buying the JBL and I used the ZED 10FX as the mixer in the shootouts. I loved the JBL, especially, the wood cab, the handle on the top of the cabinet for moving, the low-end, and the balanced sound. There is a bit of fan noise, but nothing that will bother you in a live setting. I am typically not a fan of JBL so this took me by surprise!!!

I own two ZED 10FXs, and frankly, in the compact mixer department they are stellar. I love the sweep-able mids, the two FET channels, the pad switch on the outputs, the hall reverbs, and the tap tempo for the delays.

I wound buying the JBL PRX710 from this dealer (I have no affiliation with them whatsoever) as they had the best price on the web. The cover is kind of flimsy but it keeps the dust out http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx710-cover.html

Here's the specs...
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/v...0#.WlaetbynFdg

I've gotten a ridiculous amounts of compliments on this little rig (ZED10FX and one PRX710), so I just ordered a second JBL! And sending the DI out of the JAM400 to the JBL sounds great.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 01-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

K8.2 and Play Acoustic. Amazing combination.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:14 PM

I agree that the best powered speaker you can afford is your best bet for an upgrade given your budget. The Fishman Artist is a great little amp (I use one), but it's not going to be a significant notch up in terms of power and coverage. It's a more flexible and fully featured amp than the Mini, and it is a little more powerful and a little more full sounding, but not enough to make enough of a difference for you--especially since you don't seem to need the extra features that are its real selling-point.

QSC K8 or 10, Yamaha DBR10 or DXR8 or 10, RCF 310a, or similar units from EV, JBL, etc. Used will get you even more value.

Louis
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

I've gotten a ridiculous amounts of compliments on this little rig (ZED10FX and one PRX710), so I just ordered a second JBL! And sending the DI out of the JAM400 to the JBL sounds great.
I have a pair of PRX712 and I love them. Very smooth sounding speakers

To the OP. If it was me I would get the powered speaker/mixer first and then if you feel the need pick up an amp down the line. The amp could be used stand alone or with the PA.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:29 PM

Can't go wrong with the QSC K series--my old band had a complete QSC rig, and often used the 10s as the mains for small shows. I also love my Yamaha DBR10s--those can be had new for $350-$400 depending on if they are on sale. I like their sound. I ran some guitar through mine and it sounded nice to my ears, and I wan't using any effects/EQ.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:42 PM

QSC K10 or K12s are good.
FBT Maxx 4As (12”) are very warm, albeit at a lower wattage than QSCs.
JBL Eons are good.

There are a lot of great sounding powered speakers and they can often be found used on CL for very reasonable prices.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
K8.2 and Play Acoustic. Amazing combination.
Is this something you currently use? Was wondering what settings to use on the DSP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification