The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2002, 04:11 PM

Default Alvarez-Yairi

Way back in the late seventies I bought my first US guitar. I still have it and I'm curious about what it is, what's its made of, etc.

Its an Alvarez-Yairi DY-74.

Anyone know anything about it? I've been to the Alvarez website but it wasn't too informative.

-Tim
Old 01-01-2002, 04:31 PM

Thumbs up Alvarez Yairi

The DY 74 Yairi is the Wellington model (produced in 1979). It has Rosewood ( I think Indian Rosewood) back and sides, Sitka spruce top, and Mahogany neck, Ebony fretboard, and Ebony bridge. All solid woods (no laminated woods)
I had one...and traded it in on another guitar. It is a very well made guitar. There are times when I wish that I still had it.
New list price was $1200

Terry
Old 01-01-2002, 05:03 PM

I have a 2000 model Yairi WY-1. Mine is made in Japan. I thought all the Yairi guitars were Japanese. Supposedly made by hand by the honorable Yairi San, one at a time, in his little cave on the slopes of Mt. Fuji...

Anyway, I thought all the Yairi versions of the Alvarez were made in Japan by Mr. Yairi's guitar shop.
Old 01-01-2002, 05:22 PM

Default Correction/Clarification

When I said "US guitar" I meant first guitar I had bought in US.

I'm a Brit.

-im
Old 01-10-2002, 08:21 PM

I still have my 1976 DY-68. It's a Mahogany 12 string that I once sold to a guy, in order to buy an Ovation Custom Balladeer. I sold the same guy my Ovation to get my Yairi back! I've had it ever since, and with a few trips to the luthier over the years, it plays and sounds better than ever! It's real warm and friendly.

-Bill-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification