The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 AM

Default Question about setup on kit build

I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on my first kit to build and I have a question. Since the neck will be shaped already on the kit, what can I expect the setup to be like when I do the build? I'm familiar with doing a basic setup, but I'm wondering if the kit will such that the setup won't be terribly off when built and maybe just need tweaking. Any input or ideas are appreciated.

David

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 AM

Which kit are we talking about? What neck joint?

The best advice that I can think to give you, without looking at it, is to approach it as if you were building the guitar yourself, not assembling a kit. Don't assume that anything you are using will work, back up a step, and measure everything. Is the end of the neck square? What is the neck angle? Is the top of the guitar under the fingerboard extension flat?

I have heard of kits going together easily and I have also heard of (as well as experienced) parts that had to be tweaked in order to get them to work.

The best way to insure success is to engineer it yourself. Know all angles and measurements going into it, then you won't have surprises.

The best answer I can give you is that it varies, even with kits from the same supplier.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:07 AM

I agree with Martin. Do not assume that because all of the parts came in the same box that they will fit perfectly together. While the neck angle is set when is comes to you, it can still be tweaked. You need to understand the goal you are trying to accomplish. You want the fret board extension to sit perfectly flat on the upper bout where it meets the body with no hump or drop off. You also want a straight edge, when placed on the fretted fret board to cross the bridge and be just a hair or two above it.
Having said that, it is not very hard to tweak the neck set to get it where you need it to be. Your tweaking wont be more than a degree or two at most so we are not talking major adjustments. You will fit the neck many times before the guitar is finished so you will have plenty of opportunities to ensure the neck set angle is correct or to make it correct it if it is not.
Building a kit is a great way to learn how a guitar goes together. If you have any problems at all, there is a great group of people over at the kitguitarsforum.com that are always willing to help. Martin and I are among them.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Thanks. I'm thinking of going with a kit from LMI, but I'm also considering Blues Creek and KMG. I'm confident in my woodworking skills, so I don't anticipate that part causing me any issues. Joint on the neck will be a dovetail.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Neck alignment is everything. No, your kit will not be aligned. Stew Mac has a "How to build a Kit" video. The Neck set and set up is covered very well in the video.
I canno recomend Blues Creek enough for the kit. He would be my go to guy. The kit then the back up advise/knowledge/encouragement Blues Creek covers it all, he does have DVD's. I haven't seen what John covers.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM

So who offers a kit that is closest to "ready to assemble?"

Most of the kits I've seen require a *lot* of work, which is why I'd rather disassemble and re-work an existing guitar.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Hi
I am just starting a StewMac kit and agree with what these experts say. Parts dont always fit or are straight. I have been on the phone too many times now and already have replacement parts coming from StewMac. Their service is great though, so far, I have a feeling they will get sick of me after awhile. Good luck and Assume Nothing!
VP
Old 02-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thats why I recommend John/Blues Creek. Stew Mac is a great company that supplies a vast amount of different items. They are wonderful to deal with. John focus's on the build he sent you.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
So who offers a kit that is closest to "ready to assemble?"

Most of the kits I've seen require a *lot* of work, which is why I'd rather disassemble and re-work an existing guitar.
Grizzly. All you have to do is a few things, add some finish, and its ready to go. Although, I would never in a million years say that I "built" a guitar if I used a Grizz kit. You can probably assemble one in a few hours.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/West...ring-Kit/H3098
Mostly assembled when you get it:

I made one of their ukulele kits for my 3 year old. Took me roughly an hour to glue it together. Another 2 hours to shoot on some rattle can nitro, a couple of days to cure, and viola!! "Hand made Uke!"
I didnt bother buffing it out because I know how 3 year olds take care of their stuff. When he eventually destroys it, I wont mind, because it took me a few hours and some supplies I had on hand to assemble it.
The reason the other kits you have seen require so much work is because building a guitar is not supposed to be as easy as assembling a model car. If it was, everyone would be doing it.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 PM

I've seen the Grizzly kits -- laminates, aren't they?

I guess my ideal kit would allow more choice of materials but leave less to chance/skill than most kits.

For example, I've seen reputable builders blow things like neck angle, bridge alignment, bridge pin spacing, etc. If those are areas difficult to get right for some "real" builders, those seem like areas that kits for amateur builders should target as "fool proof."

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 02-09-2011, 03:35 PM

John Hall at Blues Creek Guitars has some youtube videos specifically on setting a dovetail neck to the body. I think it's 3-4 parts. Pretty interesting.
There WILL be an adjustment to make when attaching the neck to the body. How much is a guess, but I'm pretty sure there will be.
I've used bolt on's for the first 2, but my 3rd will be dovetail. Probably wear out John's videos.
I'll try to remember when I get home to get the links for you.
Good luck,
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair