The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-22-2001, 07:09 AM

Default Trace Elliot or Marshall

I've been looking for an acoustic amp for my K-14ce. Amp will be used mostly alone though sometimes with a band where it will be miked. I need the 2 channels to accomodate vocals Have been considering Trace Elliot TA60R which has been discontinued but is available new for less than $450. Recent thread regarding Marshall AS50R made me wonder. Any imput would be welcome. Thanks
Old 12-22-2001, 09:37 AM

If you need more channels and you would like some nice effects too (chorus, reverb, hall etc.) look for the Marshall AS100D. It's great!!
Old 12-23-2001, 10:21 PM

Hi Koop, like I've said in another thread. I like my AS50R very much. I've used it now for 1.5 years without a problem. It has worked great for a small set as the only amp or as our monitor with a line out to the house PA. We always use the two channels because we are vocalist too. I have never tried the Trace Elliot. I could never find them when I was shopping for my amp. I shopped for over a year. I've read nice things about the TE but do wonder about the 5" speaker having much low end. The Marshall has two 8" and it's low end is not its strong point when you compare it to a 15" california blonde.

Have you been able to locate both locally and try them both. I think now TE are more available. I've seen them at Mars Music and maybe even Guitar Center. It would be best to try them both at the same store at the same time with your own guitar. And since your a vocalist by all means hook up a mic to sing through.

I used to play a 801 with a LRBaggs DS. Now I have a K14C cedar with a passive iBeam and gigpro.

hope this helps,
AK

Old 12-23-2001, 11:49 PM
.tom the übergeek

I know where there is a pretty decent used Trace Acoustic TA-35 if you are interested. It is not cosmetically perfect but works great. Email me for friend's # if you are interested.
Old 12-28-2001, 09:09 AM

Default Trace-Elliot

Don't under-estimate those little 5" speakers. Remember they are CELESTIONS!!!! I owned a TE TA40R and it was the best acoustic amp I have ever heard. The bass is loud and tight, never boomy. Great tone!!!!! I vote Trace-Elliot.
Old 01-06-2002, 02:02 PM
.tom the übergeek

my friend's store sold the TA-35 but got a trade in on a Trace Acoustic that I had never seen. It has a 12" and 2-5" and the control panel is right under the 5s and over the 12. It is wild and man what a thump it packs. It is an odd looking beast.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification