The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-12-2009, 06:34 PM

Default Drum machines

are any of you folks using a drum machine? I'm thinking about picking up an Alesis SR18 basically for jamming with possibly some recording and the outside possibility of playing live. What are you guys using? would I be better off with one of the Boss units? I'd like to have something that I can download/upload from the PC but the alesis doesn't have the ability to do that
Old 06-13-2009, 05:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got an old Boss Dr. Rhythm 660 that I use for recording. Antiquated, complicated, and a pain in the butt, but I fought the good fight and learned to manipulate it and I'm not sure I want to go through that again. Really, the best way to select a drum machine is to listen to its sounds, read the manual online, and spend a day at the guitar store playing with the interface. Drum machines are notorious for having interfaces that are the best reason not to use them!

I really have to work hard at both the sounds and the timing on my grizzled old machine to make it sound real, but it can be done. Here are a few hints:
1) When you are programming the thing, keep a particular drummer in your head and try to reproduce his feel. I like Jeff Porcaro and Joe Vitale, for instance.
2) Don't auto-correct the beat of everything. It will end up sounding like... wait for it... a drum machine. Leave slight inaccuracies in there to humanize things.
3) Don't over-play. Remember the limitations of a real drummer, unless you are trying to be artificial anyway.

Have fun,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 06-13-2009, 05:42 AM

Great advice, Bob! Occasionally I will use the drums that are included in my Boss BR864 recorder, but I actually prefer the sound I get by playing the drums on an old Yamaha keyboard (PRS-500).

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-13-2009, 05:55 AM

thanks guys. as always this place is a great source of info. I just might have to go spend a few hrs at GC today
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 AM

..I was just thinking it would be cool if you could create and save drum/bass tracks and then save them to an SD card or something so we could trade tracks for different songs. I've got Sonar loaded on my PC and I'm sure people are doing that somewhere but that dosen't help if you are jamming/playing out away from the PC. I guess you could burn it to a cd and patch it into a PA or amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell