The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM

Default Another left hand stretching exercise

OK... some of you liked the first one. You'll hate this one. Again, courtesy of Scott Tennant.

For the entire exercise the first finger is on the first fret of the sixth string. Scott warns you not to work through pain, do it slowly and skip the one's you can't do. You will eventually be able to do them (so he says).

Ok. Play the sixth string (fretted at the first fret with the first finger) and hammer on the second fret with the second finger. This isn't too bad. Try for good tone. Remove the second finger from the fretboard. Play the sixth string again (still fretted at the first fret) and hammer on the 3rd fret WITH THE SECOND FINGER. It should be a stretch. Now repeat the exercise trying to hammer on the 4th fret (I don't think this is humanly possible, but Mr. Tennant assures us that it is possible. I'm working up to this)

Now begin again (still fretting the first fret), but hammering on the second fret with the 3rd finger. Then remove the third finger from the fretboard and play the sixth string again (still fretted at the first fret) and hammer on the 3rd fret with the 3rd finger. Then hammer on the 4th fret with the 3rd finger, etc.

Then begin again, hammering on the second fret with the 4th finger, then hammer on the 3rd fret with the 4th finger, then hammer on the 4th fret, then 5th fret with the 4th finger.

He then suggests you do all this torture again on each of the other strings.

I can only do about 5 minutes of this at a time before developing some discomfort, and He does suggest you rest in between. However, I am noticing that I can stretch farther now then when I first began this routine. I also find the hammering on to increase finger strength.

Hope you like it!
Old 01-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Thank you, Doc
Old 01-28-2003, 11:14 PM

Thanks a lot, Doc. Sounds good :-)
Old 01-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Sounds like a great exercise. Also sounds like it could be difficult to say the least. It sure sounds like something I am going to try. Thanks. One question, is this from his book or his video? Isn't this the guy who has the book and video called Pumping Nylon?
Midnight Shadow
Old 01-29-2003, 08:32 AM

I'm not an expert guitarist by any means, and I don't mean to slam Doc or Scott...but this really sounds like a bad idea to me.

The proposed exercise purposefully creates tension in the fingers, but for what end? If the objective is to improve strength and flexibility (which I agree are very important), then exercises should be developed which do this without creating so much tension. Exercises to improve stretch should focus on relaxation, not tension.

An alternative could be to place all four fingers on, say, the D string, beginning with fret 5 (cover frets 5, 6, 7, and 8 with your four left-hand playing fingers). Pose in this position and relax everything. Only then should the fingers begin to venture beyond the 8th and 5th frets, and only when relaxation is at its maximum. Do nothing with your right hand initially.

Why the 5th fret? Stretching the shoulder to reach the first fret creates tension in the shoulder, arms, and hand, which must be dealt with separately.

Tension is the enemy of fluidity. Tension created during practice will lead to tense playing, which may lead to poor playing.

All my opinion. Flame away.

BTW, what was the first exercise suggestion?

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:00 AM

I got this from Scott's book, Pumping Nylon. It may be in the video, too.

Guitar Dad, I agree that tension is a killer. I often begin by putting my fingers on the 3rd string, each finger just above different frets, say 5, 6, 7,8, then pluck the string while gradually applying pressure with my first finger. (initially the string is muted by touching it) I keep plucking until I just get a clear tone. It's surprising how little pressure you actually need. Then I do the same with each of the other fingers. Finally I alternate fingers, play the 5th fret with the first, 6th fret with the second, etc. applying the least amount of pressure to get a clear tone. That helps me relax my hand. I know when I play I press much harder, and I try to be aware of this. It seems the more difficult the passage, the harder I press. I may even stop in the middle of practice and repeat this relaxation exercise.

The first exercise I think was under 'finger exercises to newbies' or something like that, probably my post was last monday in this section. Much more relaxing exercise. http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...threadid=16018

Regarding the original stretching exercise, I think stretching the second finger to the 4th fret is too much, also, as are some of the other stretches. He does caution to go slow, rest, and don't keep going through discomfort. Over time, the stretch will increase. It's really no different than trying to touch your toes. If you can't do it and force it, you will hurt yourself. However if you do the 'bend-stretch' slowly each day (holding the stretch and not bouncing up and down), over a period of time you will be able to touch your toes.

BTW, Not meant to be a flame anywhere, just an alternative suggestion. I don't like fires.

Last edited by Doc Jacobs; 01-29-2003 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:18 AM

I imagine that both tension and relaxation have a place in my advancement on the guitar. I am an advocate of tension in leg stretching and it has greatly increased my flexibility and eased back pain. I play golf relaxed, benefiting from the pain free flexibility.

I view the finger stretching exercises in the same light. Practice in tension so that it becomes easy and then I can play relaxed because frets are now reachable. Make sense?
Old 01-31-2003, 12:06 AM

Hey, Doc: Is Pumping Nylon primarily a book of exercises, or classical theory, or what? I've been trying the stretches you posted in this thread and the other one, and I'm thinking of buying the book if it has more information like this in it. But if not, I won't bother.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:37 AM

Weak, relaxed fingers do not stretch well. Stretching requires strength. By its very nature, stretching incurs tension. Tension is bad only when it is present in unnecessary amounts. There is no such thing as tension-free movement. The goal is to use the body, not just the fingers, with the *minimal required* tension to get the results we want. Practicing the exercises in Tennant's book with excess tension may produce results but nowhere near what you can achieve with them if you have your tension levels under good control.
I wish someone had taught me years ago to practice tension control instead of scales. Tension management exercises are now a part of my daily practice routine. I only wish Tennant had addressed this universal problem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell