The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-03-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Read the material to learn it. Memorize the material to perform it.
^^^ This ^^^

Drives my wife crazy when we see people reading music/lyrics off paper or a tablet during a performance. I can understand having some reminders around for a new song but if you're doing it for every song, that's lame. I know it gets harder the older you are. But even in our mid-50's we can memorize enough to get through three sets! And that's short songs with no solos!

I should add (and it should go without saying) that I'm talking above about your average pub-playing cover acoustic cowboy chord type stuff. If you're talking about difficult, complicated, intense classical/jazz/theater type stuff then sheet music is not only the norm but pretty much a must.

Last edited by Methos1979; 05-03-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 PM

I’m working on putting together a book of songs I’ve learned just to have as a reference for practice or to brush up before playing. However...I’ve got stuff randomly printed from several different places (many have incorrect lyrics and wrong chords, etc) and it’s a mess - does anyone have a recommendation for a good place (free or paid, either way) that has printable, accurate lyrics and chord notations? I had a guitar instructor awhile back that was able to print just about anything on 2 pages - would love to find the same. Also, would be interested to know how you all save to your iPad and in what form your saving from?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:10 PM

I memorize 99% of the music and lyrics. I think everyone in my musical circle memorizes the music. Hardly anyone memorizes lyrics. They have paper or i-phone or tablet. I play with some very good singers. Without the words in front of them the set grinds to a halt. I've got to say that it looks a hell of a lot better if you can look at the audience instead of a screen. But situations vary. (I am referring to classic rock and country songs that may have been played by an individual hundreds of times; nothing super complicated.) In many cases I think reading the lyrics in performance is a habit hard to break.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

Last edited by alnico5; 05-11-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
I’m working on putting together a book of songs I’ve learned just to have as a reference for practice or to brush up before playing. However...I’ve got stuff randomly printed from several different places (many have incorrect lyrics and wrong chords, etc) and it’s a mess - does anyone have a recommendation for a good place (free or paid, either way) that has printable, accurate lyrics and chord notations? I had a guitar instructor awhile back that was able to print just about anything on 2 pages - would love to find the same. Also, would be interested to know how you all save to your iPad and in what form your saving from?
I can't recommend a site that can print out nearly anything on just two pages, I wish, but for $3-5 a pop you can get accurate chords and lyrics at Musicnotes.com and onlinesheetmusic.com. There's at least one more whose name escapes me at the moment. I use Musicnotes a lot. The free sources I use are UltimateGuitar.com and E-chords.com. E-Chords actually has a paid membership for like $25 a year that allows you to store songs and change keys (Ultimate does the latter for free. The paid services offer some songs with transposition, but by no means all of them).

The fee-based ones obviously are more accurate than the freebies, but I still use all four--there *are* accurate free songs.

So far I've memorized all my songs, but that's only about 45 and I'm not a fast memorizer, and nearly half of those are my own songs. I'm trying to bulk up my cover set list and I'll probably end up with an iPad or something. Without a doubt I think memorization is better. But in addition to tablets being a quick route to add variety and taking requests, I think there's less of a stigma these days with it. In addition to everyone being surrounded by glass screens these days, they are much less visually disruptive than music stands and songbooks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write