The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-10-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Doug--I once read something from Tony Rice saying that he would practice a tune for a full year before performing it in public!

I find that to be encouraging and disheartening at the same time
Yeah, really, but there's a message in there for me,

Playing and learning tunes is my entertainment, playing the same tunes over and over again can get boring, but I guess its essential. I have a couple in mind that might be good for the long-term. Maybe I'll sit down and make a practice regimen and see what I can come up with. 1-2 tunes for long term development and easier tunes for quicker satisfaction. Hmm.

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Furch Yellow Gc-CR, Gibson J-45, Guild D-120, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

An Daingean {Guild D-120}:

Celtic covers - videos

https://soundcloud.com/barry329

Enjoying guitars since 1964.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Excellent discussion guys. Just what I was hoping for.

Update: Finally played it at my full speed last night. Not quite as fast as Laibman but a good pace nevertheless. I have also decided to drop the repeats and just play the tune as ABA. It's long enough at that.

My recordings
Old 04-13-2021, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Update: I think I'm at the point where I could do a semi-decent recording. Watch this space!

My recordings
Old 04-13-2021, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Final update: I recorded it. Result is here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612797

My recordings
Old 04-13-2021, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

I probably have another month or two on mine, at minimum. Too boring for others to read about on a steady basis. Next time I'll pick something shorter and easier for this type of thread.

Avalon Ard Ri L2-320C, Furch Yellow Gc-CR, Gibson J-45, Guild D-120, Larrivee OM-05, Martin D-16GT

Celtic covers - videos

Old 04-14-2021, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

Iíve started on the last verse of Kindhearted Woman Blues as taught by Tom Feldman. Challenges thus far:
Losing my place and either going to the turnaround early or going back to the I chord instead of going to the turnaround.
Thinking similar phrases wonít need my full attention to get right.
Speeding up.
Being inconsistent with the pulse and just playing with my thumb on the beat.
Many more Iím sure.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Final update: I recorded it. Result is here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=612797
Doug, I listened over in S and T. Awesome job in a short period of time on a complex tune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I probably have another month or two on mine, at minimum. Too boring for others to read about on a steady basis. Next time I'll pick something shorter and easier for this type of thread.
I'm on the same time line, Barry But I'll post my boring (lack of) progress report anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Iíve started on the last verse of Kindhearted Woman Blues as taught by Tom Feldman. Challenges thus far:
Losing my place and either going to the turnaround early or going back to the I chord instead of going to the turnaround.
Thinking similar phrases wonít need my full attention to get right.
Speeding up.
Being inconsistent with the pulse and just playing with my thumb on the beat.
Many more Iím sure.
David, we have all been there
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Doug, I listened over in S and T. Awesome job in a short period of time on a complex tune!
Thanks again Bob! I did learn this tune 7-8 years ago but gave up on playing it. It was simply too difficult for me to make it musical. I retained absolutely none of it when I came back to it.

My recordings

Last edited by J-Doug; 04-14-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Ok, I'm a few weeks into James Scott's Sunburst Rag. It is easily the toughest piece I have ever attempted. I probably would have given up if not working on it with my teacher.

There are 4 sections with repeats so over 4 minutes at tempo, a lot longer for me!

I have sections A and B memorized and can play them at a "listenable" tempo, except for one particular chord shape that comes up twice in a row as a bar on different frets. It is a 4 finger bar chord and the placement of the 3rd and 4th fingers is something I've never encountered, very unnatural. I assume it will get better over time, but it sure reminds me of learning to play an F or B minor bar, just a lot weirder!

The C section is a nightmare. Bars at the 7th and 10th frets and jumping around between the first 12 frets. I need to memorize it because jumping back an forth between the sheet music and looking at my left hand is making me nauseous

D comes back down to earth and I'm confident it will sound like music in another week or 2.

My teacher has been a big help with C. He noticed that I had a lot of excess fretting hand movement, even though I was using the fingers he had advised. I was "regripping" between notes instead of holding the chord shape throughout the measure and only adjusting the necessary fingers. He also pointed out where it would be more efficient not to use a bar, even when fretting 3 or 4 strings way up the neck.

I may try to record A and B, there are a couple of minutes of nice music there even without the rest of it.

If you made it this far, thanks for listening
Old 04-14-2021, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I have a 3 measure section that is challenging me a bit. There is a slide up to the 9th fret from the 4th, and after a couple of notes, a pull off from 9 to 7 on the 5th string and then I have to fret the 5th and the 7th, (6th and 5th strings) and then 4th+7th and then a few other notes, all in 8th notes so there isn't really a place to "hide" the movements that are "sticky" It's coming along but its slow. Plus I can't play for hours as my wife would actually like to see my face once in a while,

Once I get this section down though there is really only one other section to learn and then the rest is just variations. So maybe 2 months is a long estimate, but it depends. Being able to play through something and getting it to sound nice for someone to listen to it are 2 different things.

Celtic covers - videos

Last edited by TBman; 04-14-2021 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

So to join you all in keeping this party going I think I'm going to re-learn yet another tune:

My goals:
- learn the classic ragtime tune "Russian Rag" by George L. Cobb from a Lasse Johansson video. (Even though I have learned this tune once before I have completely forgotten it. I think I'm going to focus on learning it as AABBA this time. Those are the sections I am most interested in playing.)
- record and post it (as I said don't expect a masterpiece here. I find it difficult to record)

My recordings
Old 04-16-2021, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Update: I had a free evening last night so I put in 3 hours on Russian Rag. By the end I was able to play it all the way through without mistakes at 2/3 tempo. I was following the tab. So I'm very pleased. While I didn't actively remember the piece I think I was firing a few dormant synapses while playing it through.

My recordings
Old 04-17-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Update: I put in 3 hours total again last night and I struggled mightily with Russian Rag. I was able to play it through 2-3 times but I was not happy with it. I'm going to limit myself to 1 hour on it today. I've been overdoing it I think.

My recordings
Old 04-17-2021, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Update: I abandoned the tab and was able to play it all the way through to my satisfaction from memory and at a decent tempo. I find there is a point where the notation becomes a hindrance for me.

My recordings
Old 04-17-2021, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Hi Doug--ups and downs! Sounds like you have it heading in the right direction.

I am coming to terms with the fact that there are several moves in Scott's Sunburst Rag that my fingers and brain cannot yet execute smoothly--they've never done these things before. My hopes of making a decent recording anytime soon are nil. But that's ok, it has been a useful exercise in memorization and I've certainly made a lot of improvement--maybe halfway there. I'm going to keep on practicing this tune, but not for an hour or 2 a day like I have been doing for a few weeks now. Let the brain digest what it has figured out for a while

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write