The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-17-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Anyone here into Chet Atkins?

I learned a couple Chet Atkins arrangements ("I Saw The Light", and "Salty Dog") about 30 years ago. So now I figure its time to work up Chet song #3. I'm working up "I Am A Pilgrim". I don't know where I got the tab, it was just in my old music stack.

Working up this tune really gives me an appreciation for his arrangements. I think I'd like to work up some more.

Can anyone recommend a good resource for learning his arrangements?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:12 AM

I don't know where to find any of his arrangements, but I think he is one of the greats. Have you heard his album with Mark Knopfler ?

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 06-18-2004, 06:04 AM

Chet was the greatest. There'll never be another. I have been following everything about him since I first heard him on the Grand Ole Opry many years ago.

Go to http://www.frettedinstrumentsnyc.com/. There is enough Chet Atkins (and others) there to last you a lifetime.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:47 AM

rhudson,

good-goobily goo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what other links have you got to share?!??!??!?!?!?!???!?!!!!!!!!!
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 06-18-2004, 07:04 AM

Amazing link!
MySpace
Old 06-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Major league Atkins fan here. I think I have every recording he ever made, but, unfortunately, I never got the chance to see him live. Next to Django he was my favorite.

Peace,

Doc
Old 06-18-2004, 04:47 PM

Any Doc Watson fans?
One of my favorite songs is Kottke's 'Stealing' which was stolen from
'Doc's Guitar' It is a great song, somewhat difficult, but fun to play.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:55 PM

Always good to see another Kottke Fan on here..

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-18-2004, 05:06 PM

It is hard for me to think of guitar without thinking Chet Atkins. Amazing man. Chet worked hard all of his life to be the best there was; and, he was. From very humble beginnings to being known the world over as Mr. Guitar. I have been told that when Chet was a very young man trying to get started, playing on small town radio; while everyone else was taking a break eating donuts and drinking coffee, Chet would be off to himself practicing guitar. His beloved Leona would many times take the guitar out of his hands after he had fallen asleep. Then when he would awaken, the first thing he did was pick up the guitar again. He had guitars all over his house, in his office and anywhere else he frequented; just so a guitar would always be close by when the inspiration came.

I don't think anyone will ever "master" the guitar, but Chet set the bar high enough that the rest of us mere mortals will spend the rest of our lives reaching. There are many great young players out there now. Many of them are on this forum. I would dare say that all of us have been influenced, either directly or indirectly by this gentle man from East Tennessee. I miss him.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:56 PM

I only discovered Chet Atkins a half a dozen years ago but was blown away by his style of playing. A good resouce for his music is funkyjunk.com. They have a wide selection of material to purchase from. If you enjoy fingerpicking his songs like I do, "Windy and Warm" is a great piece of music to learn. There's also a musician by the name of Craig Dobbins who arranges hymns in Chet's style. A little challenging but well worth the effort. Hope that this was a help.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 PM

If you like Chet's music, you will love Sam Pacetti. Here's Sam playing Windy and Warm from his Live at the Milltop CD. This guy is very, very good!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 06-18-2004, 07:27 PM

Default I am a GREAT fan of DOC WATSON

When i first heard Merle Watson play Windy and Warm And then Doc playing Doc's Guitar, I was sold on this type of picking. I worked on Doc's Guitar, until my fingers were raw, but , I finally can play this song almost up to speed, but far from the great way Doc picks it. Doc and Merle have both been an inspiration to me, which has now led me to Chet Atkins style,,,,, Does anyone know of any Chet Pickers or Chet Teachers. I live in the Miami-Ft Lauderdale Florida Area
Old 06-18-2004, 07:31 PM

I've spent the week rekindling my love of Mark Knofler's music and have it on my list to pick up a Mark's CD with Chet.

Anyone out there with suggestions on "Required Listening" Chet's CDs to pick up too?

Thanks!
Andy
Old 06-18-2004, 07:36 PM

try these instructional videos-The Guitar of Chet Atkins- Taught By Chet , and Nashville Picking Taught by Marcel Dadi -Available at www.guitarvideo.com- Marcel teaches about 4 of Chet' songs
Old 06-18-2004, 07:43 PM

made a mistake it is www.guitarvideos.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell