The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Or for those times you just want to plug in direct.

#1 Take a deep breath ....... clear you mind of all thoughts (and pre conceptions and expectations ) except your breathing .

#2 Then embrace and just go with the pickup sound and have fun,, as Ed Gerhard or Craig Chaquico

Confession. Before I became a cork sniffing connoisseur of mic’d acoustic guitars, I thought Craig Chaquico was the coolest of cool
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 07-31-2021 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Confession. Before I became a cork sniffing connoisseur of mic’d acoustic guitars, I thought Craig Chaquico was the coolest of cool
Me too Imagine if you will driving in the middle of the Wyoming high plains with nothing but miles and miles rolling sagebrush hills (no other cars, no people, nothing but you and the pucker brush ) and having Sacred Ground playing on the Car CD player ....Talk about gettin' into the song and vibe

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

On Warren Zevon's live album, Learning to Flinch, the guitar is recorded from the pickup. It's a hard album to listen to for that reason ...for me, anyway.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-31-2021, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's also my experiment with using ToneDexter to simulate stereo:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=472496

You could do the same with a stereo IR or 2 IRs/plugins. See Cuki's post from just a few days ago:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=621832
Doug, what is that beautiful song you are playing in the experiement you're talking about, and do you have a tab/notation for it? Gorgeous playing. I much prefer the miced version.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 07-31-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Doug, what is that beautiful song you are playing in the experiement you're talking about, and do you have a tab/notation for it? Gorgeous playing. I much prefer the miced version.
Thanks! That's the intro of my tune "The Seagull", it's on my Closing Time CD (comes with tab to all the tunes, including this one).
Old 08-03-2021, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
This is what you are looking for...and it's on sale:

https://www.nembriniaudio.com/produc...-guitar-preamp
I use Nembrini apps for electric and like them. Did not know they made one for acoustics. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2021, 02:46 PM

You could get a couple of acoustic IR's, and load them into a convolution plugin. IMO acoustic guitar IR's are not quite there yet, unless their are products available that I am unaware of. If you wanted to use your stand alone recording device, you would need something like the Torpedo C.A.B. to host the IR. Not sure which DAW you use, but chances are you may have a convolution plugin already.
I have the Fractal AX8, and have a few acoustic IR's that I've loaded, but as I said, I just don't feel the tech is there yet when it comes to acoustic IR'S. Not that it is terrible, and it will work if you don't feel like setting up mics and pres, but it doesn't have the quality that you get from a well placed mic into a nice preamp.
Disclaimer: Most of my experience in regards to IR's are cabinet or reverb oriented, so it would be worth it to research it a bit, as Im sure there are people doing things that i am unaware of. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Dumb question - what's an IR?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
“Impulse response”, I do believe.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Impulse response, Barry. It's a way of capturing the sonic signature of one sound so you can apply it to another. It's heavily used in reverbs - capture the sound of the Sistine Chapel, or someone's bathroom, whatever, and be able to apply it as a reverb on your own track. The reverbs are often called "convolution reverbs", because convolution is the process of applying an IR to another sound. You have a convolution reverb in Reaper, from what I understand. So all you do is load it up with an IR and use it like any effect.

A "recent" (as in the last 20 years or so) area of exploration has been using this technique to capture the acoustic sound of a guitar and apply it to a pickup. Momma Bear, ToneDexter, Aura, and Baggs Voiceprint are hardware devices that do this. Cuki and JonFields here on AGF have written software that let you capture your own IRs as well. The electric players have been into this longer, and things like the Kemper amp and AxeFX and others let you reproduce the sound of virtually any electric amp using a captured IR. If you read the amplification section of AGF, for the past severals years, every few threads are about IRs, so you can dig into all the details by reading that section of the forum.

My take on IRs applied to pickups is that they have progressed to where they're a game changer for live amplification, but are less likely to fool anyone for a recording. The sample I posted earlier (labeled "reverb test") is using an IR on my pickup.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Impulse Response. A sonic measurment of a room (or any space), a speaker cabinet in relation to the sound source. There are a few IR loaders out there for free which allow you to load a chosen IR, and use it for live or recording purposes. I prefer to use a convolution plugin in my DAW for that purpose, as the free ir loaders I have used cut the length of the IR to fit, where-as the plugin does not. If you use Logic Pro X, you can load IR's into Space Designer . If using Reaper, I think REAverb is their convolution plugin.( if you decide to try it, be sure that you turn the wet signal to 100%, and dry to zero. It isn't limited to profiles of acoustic guitars and speaker cabinets, you can load some pretty sweet rooms IR's in there that you wouldn't have real world access too as well.
Hope that helped you to understand a bit better. Stuff had me confused when I first started learning about it, but they are not difficult to use at all once you learn a little about them. Very useful for electric guitar stuff when you can't plug a 100 water into a 4-12 without making the neighbors hate you.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=Doug Young-My take on IRs applied to pickups is that they have progressed to where they're a game changer for live amplification, but are less likely to fool anyone for a recording. The sample I posted earlier (labeled "reverb test") is using an IR on my pickup.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had the opportunity to try the Tone Dexter, or similar products. The few IR's that I have loaded into my AX8 just don't do it for me.Companies like Fractal and Kemper have really changed the game for electric guitar, but in the meantime acoustic has been neglected. I keep hoping that I will see an announcement on the Fractal home page one day for an acoustic guitar/mic modeler. Its coming Im sure, just a matter of when. Until then, I will continue to go Bix to PA, and use mics for recording as it suits my needs well. Cant wait for that product to come along though! Cheers!
Old 08-03-2021, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
I haven't had the opportunity to try the Tone Dexter, or similar products. The few IR's that I have loaded into my AX8 just don't do it for me.Companies like Fractal and Kemper have really changed the game for electric guitar, but in the meantime acoustic has been neglected. I keep hoping that I will see an announcement on the Fractal home page one day for an acoustic guitar/mic modeler. Its coming Im sure, just a matter of when. Until then, I will continue to go Bix to PA, and use mics for recording as it suits my needs well. Cant wait for that product to come along though! Cheers!

Sounds like you need to check out ToneDexter. It changed the game for acoustic guitarists (for live use) several years ago now. There's actually been tons of work in this area, so I'd not say it's been neglected (maybe by AxeFX...). Rick Turner started years ago, Fishman has been investing in this for over a decade. Baggs just spent 4 years developing the Voiceprint. And then there's ToneDexter, which up'd the game from the previous efforts. Like AxeFX, not 100% of people are going to be satisfied, but at a minimum it "de-quacks" the pickup, making a pretty huge improvement for many people, at least those who are annoyed by the quacky sound of acoustic pickups.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Sounds like you need to check out ToneDexter. It changed the game for acoustic guitarists (for live use) several years ago now.
Yeah, I would love to try one out.I have concentrated on mostly electric for the past 30 years, but have always kept an acoustic around, as it was my first love. Over the past few years, I have spent a lot of time on acoustic, which led me to this forum. The only time that I used acoustic when playing in electric bands was in the studio in front of mics, so I had to do some catching up on pickups and amplification. Actually bought the Bix after a few players here recommended it. I did some research on the Tone Dexter during that time and it interests me. The only reason I haven't gone ahead with one is that I am very satisfied with the bix. But the gear harlot in me still wants a TD!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.bowman View Post
Yeah, I would love to try one out.I have concentrated on mostly electric for the past 30 years, but have always kept an acoustic around, as it was my first love. Over the past few years, I have spent a lot of time on acoustic, which led me to this forum. The only time that I used acoustic when playing in electric bands was in the studio in front of mics, so I had to do some catching up on pickups and amplification. Actually bought the Bix after a few players here recommended it. I did some research on the Tone Dexter during that time and it interests me. The only reason I haven't gone ahead with one is that I am very satisfied with the bix. But the gear harlot in me still wants a TD!
They're sort of 2 different things. The Grace products are all wonderful - they cleanly and accurately amplify your pickup. ToneDexter is a preamp, but the real point is the "effect", the IR. TonerDexter does not accurately pass along your pickup, it "corrects" it to sound closer to the mic'd sound of your guitar. If you like the raw sound of your pickup, you don't need ToneDexter. For those of us who are disappointed in how pickups sound compared to the acoustic sound of the guitar, TonedDexter, (or competitors) are an answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD