The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful looking and sounding guitar! Congratulations Tom and Ben on this build. I will have to get in line at B.I.G. to get a closer look and strum.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:50 AM

Smile

Great video, thanks for posting!
Old 10-24-2018, 01:24 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Now that is top shelf!!! Gorgeous little CANON! Yikes. I’m sure that one will hold a prominent spot in the display cabinet. Congrats!
Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 PM

That looks & sounds fantastic Tom & Ben, congratulations!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-24-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Beautiful looking and sounding guitar! Congratulations Tom and Ben on this build. I will have to get in line at B.I.G. to get a closer look and strum.
You have a spot reserved, don't worry!!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post
Great video, thanks for posting!
thank you for listening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Now that is top shelf!!! Gorgeous little CANON! Yikes. I’m sure that one will hold a prominent spot in the display cabinet. Congrats!
Yes, Dennis, this one is special and will not be going anywhere until I die. I hope to put it in your hands, you are still planning on coming next March I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
That looks & sounds fantastic Tom & Ben, congratulations!!
Thank you and when you come over from the other side of the world in March, you can be first in line to give it a go. You will be the first number one in the charts artist to try it out I promise you that!
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Black Lion, all done.

Thank you all very much for your kind words! But it's my turn to say thank you- Tom, you are a great fellow to build for! Thank you for the trust, the open-mindedness, the patience, and especially for giving me the opportunity to build this little jewel of a guitar. It was fun from start to finish.

I am looking forward to B.I.G., and meeting and putting faces to
all of you who are just sort of friendly boxes with words in them. I suspect you are all real, and we will have a blast at Tom's hoedown.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilbornGuitars View Post
Thank you all very much for your kind words! But it's my turn to say thank you- Tom, you are a great fellow to build for! Thank you for the trust, the open-mindedness, the patience, and especially for giving me the opportunity to build this little jewel of a guitar. It was fun from start to finish.

I am looking forward to B.I.G., and meeting and putting faces to
all of you who are just sort of friendly boxes with words in them. I suspect you are all real, and we will have a blast at Tom's hoedown.
Thank you Ben, seriously, you are a great guy and it was so much fun working with you on this guitar, we sure has some moments of OMG what have we done to laughing about what we had done, but wow what a conclusion!

I think it will be really cool for you and the Black Lion to meet up again at B.I.G. I assume it is not all that often that you send a guitar out into the world and then get to meet up again to see how it has grown up since being out on its own! I think the Woodstock Wilborn has really come out of its shell also so I hope to have that there as well for you to get you mitts on!

Tom
Old 10-29-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

That recording sounds killer. I love the looks of that puppy.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:07 PM

The Top Shelf Black Lion is on its way to its forever home haha!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tom,

The aesthetics are incredible! That is a gorgeous looking instrument. I understand it’s a matter of personal taste, but I find yours and Bens amazingly similar to my own.

From what I can gather from the recordings, the voicing is extremely well thought out and executed.
Kudos to Ben. Just superb.
I would jump at the chance to hear it in person.

I must also say, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard or seen a luthier demo a new build with a capo. The fact that it still sounds as wonderful as it does is mind bending. I again, would like to hear this instrument in person, without a capo.
I can only imagine.

Great choices, and fantastic execution. Thanks to both you and Ben for allowing me to share the experience.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 10-31-2018, 06:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
The Top Shelf Black Lion is on its way to its forever home haha!
Hey Tom... do you feel the same way that you felt when you were five years old on Christmas Eve? Anticipation🙃...excitement🤗...can’t fall asleep😲

You and Ben did a great job. Beautiful, graceful, elegant, and sings like a chorus of angels. As for Ben...it’s truly inspiring to find a builder who is also a gifted player too. I’m really looking forward to listening to Frog and Toad at B.I.G.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 10-31-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele1111 View Post
Hey Tom,

The aesthetics are incredible! That is a gorgeous looking instrument. I understand it’s a matter of personal taste, but I find yours and Bens amazingly similar to my own.

From what I can gather from the recordings, the voicing is extremely well thought out and executed.
Kudos to Ben. Just superb.
I would jump at the chance to hear it in person.

I must also say, I don’t believe I’ve ever heard or seen a luthier demo a new build with a capo. The fact that it still sounds as wonderful as it does is mind bending. I again, would like to hear this instrument in person, without a capo.
I can only imagine.

Great choices, and fantastic execution. Thanks to both you and Ben for allowing me to share the experience.

Mark
Thank you Mark for following the thread. I appreciate your kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Teel View Post
Hey Tom... do you feel the same way that you felt when you were five years old on Christmas Eve? Anticipation🙃...excitement🤗...can’t fall asleep😲

You and Ben did a great job. Beautiful, graceful, elegant, and sings like a chorus of angels. As for Ben...it’s truly inspiring to find a builder who is also a gifted player too. I’m really looking forward to listening to Frog and Toad at B.I.G.

Joel
Yes, the guitar arrived today. Had to run around a bit to chase down the delivery guy, but I was determined to get it today. I kind of waited to post to let Mike announce his Edwinson arrival without competition.

I could go on and on, but for now let me say, my fingers are a little sore, the guitar is really gorgeous in person, waiting for the glamour shots from Ben yet, and it has a lovely live sound, sustains like crazy, a great depth to the tone, overtones galore and none of that boxy smaller guitar sound. It has a very quick attack with immediate response. Sounds very nice with fingers and comes alive with a pick. The whole guitar vibrates when playing.

I guess you could say I like it. Thanks again Ben.

Yes, Joel, you and I both are looking forward to the music at B.I.G. and for those who come, this little Black Lion will be there to try out as well. Who knows, Ben may play some on it for the concert.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, the guitar arrived today. Had to run around a bit to chase down the delivery guy, but I was determined to get it today. I kind of waited to post to let Mike announce his Edwinson arrival without competition.

I could go on and on, but for now let me say, my fingers are a little sore, the guitar is really gorgeous in person, waiting for the glamour shots from Ben yet, and it has a lovely live sound, sustains like crazy, a great depth to the tone, overtones galore and none of that boxy smaller guitar sound. It has a very quick attack with immediate response. Sounds very nice with fingers and comes alive with a pick. The whole guitar vibrates when playing.

I guess you could say I like it. Thanks again Ben.

Yes, Joel, you and I both are looking forward to the music at B.I.G. and for those who come, this little Black Lion will be there to try out as well. Who knows, Ben may play some on it for the concert.
Tom, that was so nice of you! But you know I'd be happy to share in a NGD with you. Meanwhile, so glad you are happy with the sound. I'm not surprised, given the video clips. What's so cool is that we know that they just keep getting better! I'm really looking forward to playing it.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Tom, that was so nice of you! But you know I'd be happy to share in a NGD with you. Meanwhile, so glad you are happy with the sound. I'm not surprised, given the video clips. What's so cool is that we know that they just keep getting better! I'm really looking forward to playing it.
Mike, it is kinda cool we both got them on the same day! My fingers are actually a little sore from last night and tonight and that is on top of 40 year old callus. The one thing about this guitar though is when I put it down and hang it in the room, it is just wonderful to look at. I am so pleased with this. I am anxious to get other peoples opinion on this one. By March it should be really open and at full roar (haha, see what I did there)?
Old 11-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike, it is kinda cool we both got them on the same day! My fingers are actually a little sore from last night and tonight and that is on top of 40 year old callus. The one thing about this guitar though is when I put it down and hang it in the room, it is just wonderful to look at. I am so pleased with this. I am anxious to get other peoples opinion on this one. By March it should be really open and at full roar (haha, see what I did there)?
I think the dual delivery was pretty awesome, Tom, and I know what you mean about your fingers; mine are a bit tender as I type this! There is no denying the visual appeal of that guitar, a piece of art whether on the wall or as you play it. And yeah, I caught the Lion roaring, lol!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop