The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hi Musket - welcome aboard. Not sure I've seen that benefit in any of RainSong's marketing. Perhaps another reason our recent troll gets so twisted up about CF guitars?

Although for full disclosure: the first gig I did after getting the RainSong, my wife said to me, "Don't let those young sexy girls throw themselves at you."

To which I replied: "I don't want some sexy girl, Honey, I want you!"

Kind of painful removing the guitar from my...

LOL Jim! See what you did there. Thanks for the laugh and have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Merry Christmas back at ya, and to all the participants here on the Carbon Fiber sub-forum.

We pick up our daughter and son-in-law at the airport in a bit. I haven't been all that good, but there are still presents under the tree. We will play some games and sing some Christmas carols tonight.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-24-2014, 11:52 AM

The band I play with just spent two days in a recording studio. I played a Martin CEO-7 doing rhythm and fingerpicking into an AKG C 414 mic while the lead guitar and slide player used my Composite Acoustic GXi into a Royer R-121.

In my book, the GXi gives up nothing in a band situation and enjoys a ton of benefits.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:36 AM

I have always loved wood....the feel, the smell, the look, the resonance. My favorite class in grade school was wood shop. I have built wooden instruments and kayaks(covered with fiberglass and carbon).

For over 5 decades I have enjoyed playing wooden guitars. And although these guitars I have owned (Martins, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Breedlove) are built with "wood", they are also covered with a synthetic compound. However, I have always thought of them as "wooden guitars". I have also held a bias against composite guitars, without truly thinking about them OR playing one.

I played a Rainsong P12 this past week and was "blown away" AND humbled. This little parlor had a beautiful tone, wonderful resonance and "played like butter"(set up with great skill by Mike at McNichols in UT). The workmanship was just amazing.

Unfortunately it was too small for me. So, an Emerald X-10 is in route now, and I hope that it is the "00 model fit" and sound that I am looking for.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to sit down and experience the acoustic sound/feel of a composite guitar, as well as the many other advantages of owning/playing a wonderful guitar that happens to be made with composite materials.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2play View Post
I have always loved wood....the feel, the smell, the look, the resonance. My favorite class in grade school was wood shop. I have built wooden instruments and kayaks(covered with fiberglass and carbon).

For over 5 decades I have enjoyed playing wooden guitars. And although these guitars I have owned (Martins, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, Breedlove) are built with "wood", they are also covered with a synthetic compound. However, I have always thought of them as "wooden guitars". I have also held a bias against composite guitars, without truly thinking about them OR playing one.

I played a Rainsong P12 this past week and was "blown away" AND humbled. This little parlor had a beautiful tone, wonderful resonance and "played like butter"(set up with great skill by Mike at McNichols in UT). The workmanship was just amazing.

Unfortunately it was too small for me. So, an Emerald X-10 is in route now, and I hope that it is the "00 model fit" and sound that I am looking for.

I wish I hadn't waited so long to sit down and experience the acoustic sound/feel of a composite guitar, as well as the many other advantages of owning/playing a wonderful guitar that happens to be made with composite materials.
Well said Bob.
Not knowing what we may be commenting on is an epidemic to which there is no known cure.
I appreciate the honest evolution in your knowledge of Guitars. Glad you took a look.
Congratulations.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 12-28-2014, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2play View Post

Just like with wood guitars, trying one doesn't tell you about the entire line. BUT, giving one a try with an open mind can lead to expanded options. Hope your new X-10 does it for you! Kudos and congrats!

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 12-28-2014, 11:28 PM

Thanks Finger Stylish & Capt Jim....
Interestingly, I never actively thought negatively about CF guitars....but always had an assumption that they weren't "real" or "pure".....like "wooden" guitars....good to know you can teach an old dog new tricks...

Will get back to you guys once the X-10 arrives....looking forward!
Bob
Old 12-31-2014, 07:09 AM

Why do few major artists play Carbon?

Could be the same as with the rest of us non-major artists: it's different. I'm evidence of such intransigence - I've consistently avoided this section of the forum since its inception. Yesterday, though, while looking at the Paramount Guitars site, I noticed an Emerald and thought it was a fantastic-looking instrument. I then did a few searches and liked what I saw. Who knows, maybe I'll get one at some point now. But we guitarists, particularly those of us of a 'certain age', can be fiercely conservative; look at the resistance often expressed to even wooden guitars built in certain parts of the world. I don't think audiences would mind; in fact, I think they'd love the funky look of these instruments. In a lot of cases, I think it's we the players who have the block. The heroes of our youth did not stand up on the stage with bright green acoustic guitars.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Why do few major artists play Carbon?

Could be the same as with the rest of us non-major artists: it's different. I'm evidence of such intransigence - I've consistently avoided this section of the forum since its inception. Yesterday, though, while looking at the Paramount Guitars site, I noticed an Emerald and thought it was a fantastic-looking instrument. I then did a few searches and liked what I saw. Who knows, maybe I'll get one at some point now. But we guitarists, particularly those of us of a 'certain age', can be fiercely conservative; look at the resistance often expressed to even wooden guitars built in certain parts of the world. I don't think audiences would mind; in fact, I think they'd love the funky look of these instruments. In a lot of cases, I think it's we the players who have the block. The heroes of our youth did not stand up on the stage with bright green acoustic guitars.

I said pretty much the same thing on Post #4 in this thread. I've found the only people who are interested in the equipment are other guitar players... the audience just wants to hear some music. Of course, on this forum, everyone is a guitar player.

We all talk about tone, playability, looks, preamps, amps, PAs, covers, originals, playing out, couch guitars, strings, cases, picks, mics, strumming, fingerstyle, straps, etc, etc.

The only thing we don't talk about on this sub-forum is "What do you use for humidifying?"

CF is another option. And just like discussing different brands of wood guitars, or different tone-woods, it is a viable option. Whether someone wishes to try carbon fiber is no different than a Martin fan wanting to try a Taylor. Nothing to fear - and you just might find another options that works for you.

Jim
Old 12-31-2014, 10:06 AM

When I started playing guitar I was primarily playing electric. I bought an Ovation before really understanding what makes a great acoustic guitar- probably due to a very "electric" feeling neck and the stage ready nature of the instrument. In 2006 I saw a concert that blew me away when considering what could be accomplished on an acoustic. Since then I have bought 2 more acoustics, the second of which is carbon fiber. Maybe I have always been more open minded when choosing instruments but that was initially based upon a lack of knowledge about what produces great tone in acoustic guitars. After my dissatisfaction with my earlier purchases, I made it a mission to educate myself before making further decisions. The purchase of my RainSong is a product of finding that ideal instrument- YMMV, but for me this guitar covers a lot of ground.

Professional artists probably don't play carbon fiber guitars for a variety reasons- I say probably because my opinions are certainly not fact. However, I keep reading about the new age of guitar building and that genre has tag words like ekoa,richlite, striped ebony, sapele, select hardwoods, so forth and so on. Seems to me that two things are happening in the industry; one is that traditional materials are becoming scarce and expensive (with the potential of being illegal), and two, that manufacturers are forward thinking about these trends. I can easily envision a day when carbon fiber will no longer be considered a sub-forum. We may add to the list of forum categories but I believe and hope that carbon fiber is here to stay. Maybe some "artists" will eventually endorse the genre?
Old 12-31-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I can easily envision a day when carbon fiber will no longer be considered a sub-forum. We may add to the list of forum categories but I believe and hope that carbon fiber is here to stay. Maybe some "artists" will eventually endorse the genre?
I wish it weren't a separate forum now. I think the separation delays the day you are imagining and perpetuates the ignorance and suspicion of those who will not play anything but an American-made all solid spruce and mahogany/rosewood guitar. It would be much more fun and much more enlightening to have the experiences of people with carbon fiber guitars mixed in with all the others.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick guard View Post
So if one needs to get away from the idea that carbon fiber guitars are made from plastic because it offends, (even though the epoxy used in laying up the carbon mesh is a type of plastic) then we could say simply this: people prefer wood guitars over their alternatives because they prefer real versus artificial.

As for performing artists, one might say the image of a real guitar is one they prefer to project versus the one a carbon fiber guitar does. Otherwise, why are carbon fiber manufacturers making some of their guitars with tops that look like the real thing? I've yet to see a wooden guitar wanting to look like they are made from carbon fiber.
So even if an instrument:

1. Looks like a guitar
2. Feels like a guitar
3. Is tuned like a guitar
4. Has a guitar saddle, guitar strings, guitar pickups, etc. on it
5. Is played like a guitar
6. Sounds like a guitar

It still isn't a really a guitar? I never knew that, I'm learning so much today!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I wish it weren't a separate forum now. I think the separation delays the day you are imagining and perpetuates the ignorance and suspicion of those who will not play anything but an American-made all solid spruce and mahogany/rosewood guitar. It would be much more fun and much more enlightening to have the experiences of people with carbon fiber guitars mixed in with all the others.
The posts here do go on the "Today on the AGF" threads, so there is plenty of exposure there. I'm good with CF being a sub-forum: makes it easy to find the info here. Most days, I may make it through one page of that "Today on the AGF," so I'm sure I am missing posts about amps, other stringed instruments, etc, that get shuffled onto the next pages. Certainly a LOT of activity on the AGF. If we go with the "it's like a pub" analogy, we just have our own CF booth!

Happy New Year,
Jim
Old 01-01-2015, 08:57 AM

I was just flipping channels and found Florida Georgia Line playing a song on the "Kelly and Michael" TV show.

Tyler Hubbard was playing a Composite Acoustics Dreadnought.

It was nice to see a national TV appearance of a carbon fiber guitar.

Last edited by Jim K; 01-01-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:40 AM

I think I saw a CF guitar in the DIck Clark Rockin New Year show last night. I meant to look it up on the internet to see. I know FGL was there too, but I thought it was in a different band. Don't remember which now, but I thought I saw a Rainsong in the background of one of the musical groups (other than FGL).
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber