The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM

Default You write a song, name it, then realize there are others of the same name

How do you feel about that? I wrote the bulk of a song yesterday and was happy with what I had going with the chorus (I usually start with a concept for the chorus and work outward to the verses and bridge). I usually try to avoid cliche phrases and such but I used the phrase "little things" a couple times in the chorus and thought that should be the name of the song. I never do this but I googled "lyrics little things" and there's roughly 41,000 (exaggerated) published songs called some variation of "little things."

So...I'm not sure if I should make my song the 41,001th or if I should retool the chorus a little to be able to change the name. Has anyone here came across this issue? How did you deal with it?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Sometimes you can take a random line from the verse and use it as the title as opposed to using words from part of the hook or the chorus.

This can make for some interesting titles and keeps your titles from being redundant.

Or, you can title the song after the overall message of the song, even if the title words are never mentioned in the song.

For example, the Dandy Warhols had a song out called "Not if you were the last junkie on Earth," but nowhere in the song are those words said. The perhaps more popular song "Plush" by Stone Temple Pilots never says the word "Plush" in the song.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:24 AM

That's good advice.

I don't think I want to take out either of the two little things in the chorus so maybe I'll go that route.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
...you can title the song after the overall message of the song, even if the title words are never mentioned in the song.
True. Having said this, well-known acts can do this more successfully than little-known acts. The problem for the obscure performers is that many song buyers hearing a song they like aren't always aware of the title. They go into a retail outlet to buy a CD or google a title to download based on what they think the title may be based on the "hook" that sticks in their mind. For working acts, sales are important and some think, why make it harder for the buyer to find your song.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:55 AM

I have never loved or hated a song because of it's name..............

Point being, the song is what's important. Would "Over the Rainbow" be any less beautiful it it were named "Somewhere..." or "Why Can't I".

I write originals and have found of few of my titles were used, sometimes a lot, not a big deal to me, just change to something else.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-24-2007, 09:24 AM

Personally, I would keep the name you want even if it's been used by others. You mentioned the title, "Little Things" and that there were a ton of songs by that name? I can't think of one. Maybe yours will be the one that becomes the one everyone thinks of when they think of that title.

Obviously, it wasn't a big deal to all the other artists who used that same title

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-24-2007, 10:06 AM

if the name works, keep it. there are too few word combinations in the english language to always have original titles. I would just try to limit how often that happens.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I'm gonna hit the song again and see if it still works and if I can wrap it up with verses and bridge. This is the 10th and final song of my current project and this is the first issue. So I guess once isn't bad.

I couldn't think of a song called Little Things either. I suppose you could google a lot of song titles /lyrics and find similarities.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:32 AM

you man like this?:
(Robert Earl Keene's "it's the little things")

CHORUS

It's the little things the little bitty things
like the way that you remind me I've been growin soft
It's the little things the itty bitty things
It's the little things
That *iss me off
Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

You can't copyright a title. If the song wants to be "Little Things," then let it be "Little Things."

And look at it this way; If sombody is looking for one of the other 41,000 songs with that title, when they Google it, they may just find yours too. And LIKE it.

Sounds like a good marketing strategy to me.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:32 PM

It wants to be Little Things, it really really does.

I hope you enjoy the other 9 songs I've written:

1. Sweet Home in Alabama
2. A Joker
3. Bacon Cheeseburger in Paradise
4. Stairway to the Heavens
5. Bohemian Rhapsodies
6. Give a Little Bit (More)
7. Brown Eyed Girls
8. Way After Midnight
9. Pride in Joy
Old 08-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

The amazing thing to me is that I wrote this one song: "I'm So Miserable Without You It's Almost Like Having You Here" only to find out that Stephen Bishop wrote something with exactly the same name!

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 08-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleT123 View Post
there are too few word combinations in the english language to always have original titles
Wow! I teach college-level English classes. This hurts!
Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post

I couldn't think of a song called Little Things either. I suppose you could google a lot of song titles /lyrics and find similarities.
I'm kinda surpised you didn't think of this song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MA9iRq0IQr4
Old 08-24-2007, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
...there's roughly 41,000 (exaggerated) published songs called some variation of "little things."
Hi wab...
One can only copyright music and lyrics, not titles (with good reason).

Title it anything you want, and if you register it, then the title and your name will be in google together, and hopefully there are not a ton of people with both your song title and name.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell