The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Buzz from saddle or under the saddle

So I have this Cordoba Fusion 14 guitar with a Fishman under saddle piezo pickup.

I'm getting a buzz when I play certain notes (especially G, opened 3rd string or that pitch anywhere else on the neck).

The buzz is coming from the saddle or the pickup. My suspicion because if I press my fingers on the saddle while playing the opened 3rd string G I get no buzz.

I'm no expert on this topic but the pickup appears to be seated properly. I have tried different saddles and medium tension strings with no change. Currently I have the guitar strung with the recommended Savarez Corum Alliance High Tension.

If you know of a fix, please tell me. I did not pay a lot for the guitar and I don't play it often enough to justify an expensive repair.

Many thanks
Old 01-27-2018, 05:57 PM

Wow, nylon string buzzing. I'd have no clue where to start. Shot in the dark, are all the tuning pegs tight? I once had a buzz I couldn't find, and it was a loose tuning peg head.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 01-27-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:25 AM

This is probably a no-brainer, but have you checked to make sure none of the string ends on the bridge tie-down are vibrating against the top? (Yes, it’s happened to me)
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele
Old 01-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Another thing to check are the wires from the pickup.

This has gotten me several times. If a wire from the pickup is making contact with the top and isn't anchored down well it can buzz. I've had instances where it would only buzz when I played certain notes!

Sometimes moving the guitar can move the wire so the buzz will go away for a bit only to return when the wire moves and again makes contact with the top.

Hope that helps,
Matt
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I think that was it Matt, thanks.

I did trim the strings as far from the top as possible and checked the tuning pegs.

The buzz has left the guitar. Thanks again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification