The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 11:53 PM

Talking Is Collings + 1.5mm pick + dull Phosphor Bronze strings a thing?

Fist of all, if it sounds good it is good. I'm just wondering about the history of this...

I recently got my first dreadnaught, a Collings D1AT Torrefied w/ Adirondack top (from an AGF member!), and I play it every single day, but it's still pretty new - a 2020. But as I've gotten to know this guitar, two surprising behaviors emerged.

* I use a yellow 1.5mm Ernie Ball Ever-Last pick. I used to use .88 picks with my Taylor 814ce. I can't believe how much changing the pick with this Collings makes it sound. The 1.5mm pick makes it sounds less bright and more "round" and "warm" on each string attack. What is creating this range? Is this because the Adirondack? The Torrefication? The mahogany? All factors combined? Don't bluegrass flatpickers use really thick picks with D-18s? Maybe it's my ear for acoustic guitar in country/Americana songwriters that makes me like this.

* I love old strings. Like, 1 month+ of playing everyday, then it really starts sounding amazing. I've recorded in Austin and the producer Brian Douglas had a Collings D2 and I think he said he hadn't changed the strings in a year on purpose.

Are these know behaviors? Sounds freaking awesome, I just am having a hard time processing what is physically going on and what it sounds so **** good. If you told me I would be doing these two things a year ago I would be horrified, but it just sounds so good!!!

–Ben
Old 05-17-2022, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have three Collings dreads, (used to have four)
Ds2h, Ds1and DS1ASB.

I have uses D'add EJ17s for years, as stock run out - I'm changing to Martin MA550s.

I use Blue Chip TAD 50s (1.25 m/m but as they are 346 large triangles you get the same tonality as a 1.5 teardrop (or better)

Due to known world situation plus two trigger fingers, I haven't played my dreads much in the last two years, but I usually get three months out of a set.

I find Martins a little "cleaner" in tone.

String life is due to more than age but environment playing frequency and style, and your body chemistry.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
..Maybe it's my ear for acoustic guitar in country/Americana songwriters that makes me like this...
Very likely. And there is also the factor of controllability. Old strings and a thicker pick tend to knock down the overtones (and sustain to some extent) so you get a more fundamental, sparser sound. Many modern builds are beautifully rich and resonant - that's what the luthier is aiming at, and that seems to be what most folk want. But sometimes a sparser sounding guitar is just what you want for great articulation.

However, when you listen to older recordings you are most likely to be hearing 80/20 strings on dreads rather than PBs. PBs only became the "norm" in the 70s onward. PBs have more mids and more "zing" and last a little longer. 80/20s tend to have more fundamentals (bass and to some extent top) but their "brightness" categorization I think really comes from the scooped mids. So much more boom/chick for 80/20s than boom/shout. They also die quicker. There will be many classic recordings featuring guitars with 80/20 strings past their "best". So, perhaps next string change a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood strings in 80/20 may be worth a go, even if just to discount that idea.

Regarding guitar picks: Three things make a difference: shape, thickness and material. A rounder shape will be more mellow (just try playing off one of the rounded wings of your Ernie Ball Everlast 1.5 and you will hear the difference straight away). A thicker pick will be more mellow. And a softer pick will be more mellow (Delrin can come up as quite a soft compound, although with good wear properties).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Very likely. And there is also the factor of controllability. Old strings and a thicker pick tend to knock down the overtones (and sustain to some extent) so you get a more fundamental, sparser sound. Many modern builds are beautifully rich and resonant - that's what the luthier is aiming at, and that seems to be what most folk want. But sometimes a sparser sounding guitar is just what you want for great articulation.

However, when you listen to older recordings you are most likely to be hearing 80/20 strings on dreads rather than PBs. PBs only became the "norm" in the 70s onward. PBs have more mids and more "zing" and last a little longer. 80/20s tend to have more fundamentals (bass and to some extent top) but their "brightness" categorization I think really comes from the scooped mids. So much more boom/chick for 80/20s than boom/shout. They also die quicker. There will be many classic recordings featuring guitars with 80/20 strings past their "best". So, perhaps next string change a set of Ernie Ball Earthwood strings in 80/20 may be worth a go, even if just to discount that idea.

Regarding guitar picks: Three things make a difference: shape, thickness and material. A rounder shape will be more mellow (just try playing off one of the rounded wings of your Ernie Ball Everlast 1.5 and you will hear the difference straight away). A thicker pick will be more mellow. And a softer pick will be more mellow (Delrin can come up as quite a soft compound, although with good wear properties).
This ! Perfectly said !

Just to add:
In my tenure with playing Collings Guitars exclusively for 15 years that's exactly what I tried to go for. These guitars are great, and especially their Adi/Hog combination still is among my favorites. Finally I ended up with Monel strings and a BlueChip TP-1R 60 pick.
These days I play Merrill, Altman and Blazer & Henkes.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
collings, d1at, phosphor bronze, picks