The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-13-2024, 07:26 AM

Default An Interview With Nick Lucas (audio)

Credit where credit is due: Nick Lucas was America’s first guitar hero. During his heyday, he made stacks of records featuring his agile guitar playing and crooning vocals. Recorded for Pathe in 1922, his “Pickin’ the Guitar” and “Teasin’ the Frets” were the first "hot" guitar solos on record. (In our interview he describes how these were recorded through a big recording horn onto wax.) In 1927 Nick was the first popular player to have a guitar named after him, the Gibson Nick Lucas Special.

During the 1930 and ’40s, Nick’s smiling image appeared on the covers of sheet music and instruction books. His name was stamped into countless guitar picks. As late as the 1960s music stores were still offering Nick Lucas-approved lesson books and plectrums.

At the time of this September 3, 1980, interview for Guitar Player magazine, Nick living in semi-retirement in an apartment in Hollywood. As you'll hear, he proved to be a grand and gracious guy with an excellent memory. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcfTxM4h8Kc&t=201s

I hope you enjoy it!
Old 02-29-2024, 02:13 PM

Great interview. A most enjoyable listen.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Jasobr, that was golden ! Thankyou for making me and others aware of this.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-01-2024 at 11:33 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN