The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Best Picks - Old Topic for Some newer for me

Received a Chris Thile 1.4MM Casein Pick, a Blue Chip TD 35, and Blue Chip TAD 40.

Simply put - all awesome picks.

I've been using Clayton Standard Ultems .72mm for the last year.

Each of the above is a great pick.

I was native finger picker for nearly 30 year but learned to play with a pick finally the last few year. I love it.

It's helped me musically, though I will confess I'm not always sure where to go with more styles.

The Chris Thile pick wins on sound for me. Just an amazing sound on an acoustic guitar. Blue Chip TAD 40 is second. Blue Chip TD 35 third and my wonderful Claytons are fourth.

The Blue Chip TD-35 is like a classic pick and the same shape - weird tear drop as my Claytons. But the others are triangles.

I had thought I was tied to the tear drop at this point after having struggled to learn to use a pick - buts turns out - you can benefit from playing the triangle shape too.

Just great picks. Costly - I'm not worried much about money - but I can buy Claytons for a buck or two a pick. I have them everywhere. Blue Chips cost 35 bucks a pick and the Chris Thile is 25.

Cost aside - Chris Thile pick wins.

I've yet to play the Charmed life picks, but they are next on my list.

Who knew picks were too cool.

Just sharing my new pick experiences - old discussion for some new for others.

No questions - just thought they are cool.
Martin HD12-28 Custom 2019
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 04:49 PM

Been a fingerstyle guitar player and never adjusted well to picks, they moved when I didn't want them to. Enter the bogstreet lead pick. Been using it for over a year, definitely my pick of choice. sure gets strange looks from others. It's ergonomic. and each corner is a different thickness.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Been a fingerstyle guitar player and never adjusted well to picks, they moved when I didn't want them to. Enter the bogstreet lead pick. Been using it for over a year, definitely my pick of choice. sure gets strange looks from others. It's ergonomic. and each corner is a different thickness.
I can see how the different thickness aspect of the pick would benefit a pick convert or native finger style player.

I worked with that a lot too.

I'm tending towards heavier. I had settled on the medium pick for a bit, but as I progress I move heavier and heavier.

I'll check the bog street out too. I struggled with ergonomics too but eventually it just clicked with time and I thought I had left the triangle shape behind and settled on the Clayton Ultems classic Tear shape. Great pick still and I doubt I'll let it go but who knows.

I'm stunned by the Chris Thile pick.
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 PM

I use Fender mediums and it's the only one I've ever used. The bag I bought came with lots of it so it's hard to run out entirely, which would be the reason why I would buy new ones.
Old 08-03-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
I use Fender mediums and it's the only one I've ever used. The bag I bought came with lots of it so it's hard to run out entirely, which would be the reason why I would buy new ones.
Best player I know plays Fender Mediums - guy literally is as good as Jimmy Page, Pete Townsend, or Hendrix - most of which played medium but tended to heavier picks as they progressed.

I struggled holding the heavy pick when I started using them Light was easiest to hold but the sound was terrible. I tried lots of stuff and found the Claytons. Good sounds and medium/medium light. Great pick.

The new ones have opened a new world at the moment. Pretty pumped about it.

I was a Medium pick guy but I remember learning pick and thinking I like the sound of the heavies but can't hold them. I can hold them now and might be converting.
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 05:16 PM

The "Chris Thile" pick you referring to the Bluechip CT55?

https://shop.bluechippick.net/products/CT55.html

It looks like vepel to me (dark brown), not Casein.

Or are you talking about something else?
Rogue Resonator (kindling)
Old 08-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

The Blue Chips are definitely Vespel - you are right. The Chris Thile is not vesper. It's Casein.

Winner of the bunch for me.

For the Fender Medium fans - as a native finger style convert - we seem to have trouble holding picks. Fenders picks felt slippery to me at first. Maybe I should give the a try again. I have a bag full of them. Clayton Ultems worked to get me to where I am.
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryc74 View Post
The Blue Chips are definitely Vespel - you are right. The Chris Thile is not vesper. It's Casein.

Winner of the bunch for me.

For the Fender Medium fans - as a native finger style convert - we seem to have trouble holding picks. Fenders picks felt slippery to me at first. Maybe I should give the a try again. I have a bag full of them. Clayton Ultems worked to get me to where I am.
Ding ding. You're correct. I realize my fender mediums get slippery during play. Best way to de-slip it is to have a hand sanitizer with no lotion at Bay.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Ding ding. You're correct. I realize my fender mediums get slippery during play. Best way to de-slip it is to have a hand sanitizer with no lotion at Bay.
Love it- I'l try it. I'm touch and go by nature - but I'll try it. I've learned. Fender medium is a nice sound Migo!
Takamine Sante Fe 1990
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Old 08-03-2020, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Love it- I'l try it. I'm touch and go by nature - but I'll try it. I've learned. Fender medium is a nice sound Migo!
Just have a small drop on the pick. Then rub it til the hand sanitizer dissolves, rub it around like it's your hand is the pick. Pretty easy. Once it dissolves, you'll realize how grippy it is, like new.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I was looking at the price of Bogstreet picks, made my eyes pop.

I wanted to recommend Wegen guitar picks, but my eyes popped once again.

Thank goodness I'm a finger style player !!!

J

P.S. Okay, not sure on the Wegens, not sure if it's $16 per pick or that's for 4 picks
Old 08-03-2020, 07:02 PM

LeDave, Thanks for tip about using hand sanitizer for better grip.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Default WolfRam Picks

I admit to being a pick-a-holic. I have 8 blue chips in various sizes and thicknesses, 3 or 4 Red bears (Casein) a couple TS (from legal source) Wegans, Primetones (these are great for the price) and dozens of others. Recently I discovered Wolfram picks and they are as good or better for me as any of my others. For Guitar, I like the Wolfram (1.4mm triangle) about the same as TS - which are my two faves now. These have the clarity of TS without pick noise and are tacky as well. They run about $22 and take a couple weeks to get, but worth every penny. For my mandolin, I still prefer BC the best and I feel that pick preferences change with string gauge, style and age, etc. so I still rotate through all of them - but these Wolframs could easily be my only pick. David Browne (owner) is a great guy - very responsive and a forum sponsor I believe. NFI - just wanted to share a great guitar product that is worth checking out...wolframslides.com
Old 08-04-2020, 02:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

D'addario now make a Chris Thile signature pick in casein. It looks very similar to the casein ones I have been making for myself!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
I can see how the different thickness aspect of the pick would benefit a pick convert or native finger style player.

I worked with that a lot too.

I'm tending towards heavier. I had settled on the medium pick for a bit, but as I progress I move heavier and heavier.

I'll check the bog street out too. I struggled with ergonomics too but eventually it just clicked with time and I thought I had left the triangle shape behind and settled on the Clayton Ultems classic Tear shape. Great pick still and I doubt I'll let it go but who knows.

I'm stunned by the Chris Thile pick.
I used a 1.5mm dunlop before the bogstreet and 99% of the time use the thickest corner of the bogstreet.

When I was a beginner I used a softer pick (.73 or .68), a few years back a friend suggested I go to a thicker pick and it improved my playing a fair bit. Was able to strum far more lightly when required. So the bogstreet fit into that well with the lead model, the other model had lighter / thinner corners.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion