The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Cordoba C9 Crossover vs GK Studio Negra: Ease of Play

Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone's played both and can give their impressions on ease of play. I know the crossover has the narrower 48mm nut compared to 50. But I know that flamenco guitars are generally designed for super low action, so that might change things. I have nerve damage I'm working on so I'll be going for maximum ease. As an aside, if anyone has a C9 crossover with a spruce top, let me know as I may be interested. Thanks
Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey bud,

I have owned both and can make an observation... The main difference with the crossover you may find advantageous (other than the nut width being slimmer) is that it has a less-flat radius. I've found that makes a huge impact as I am mostly a steel string player, where my steelstrings' radius are normally 16". I had the Negra for a bit then sold it once I played a crossover because it just felt easier to barre and more like playing a nylon 12-fretter with the 1 7/8 nut.

Enjoy!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM

The GK Studio Negra has a flat radius finger board. The C9 Crossover has a slightly thinner nut but it also has a radiused finger board much like a steel string. I would say ease of play generally goes to the C9 Crossover. The negra is going to be pretty dark compared to the C9. The C9 is a pretty standard classical tone you get from Cordoba. The C9 is a full sized classical body and is louder with better projection. You will find the Negra to have faster note decay, be darker but dryer sounding at the same time.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:15 PM

I do not know your price point but you may also like the Furch GNc nylons, i just picked up their 4-SR and absolutely love it. the price points ranges from $1,500 to the 4-SR at $2,600
Old 08-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Thanks Alot guys! Very helpful info. The Furch looks sweet. A bit out of budget, but I'll keep it in mind. Dustin, so cool that you've played both, that's what I was really hoping for. I'll be going for a crossover. Btw, I'm a big fan of you music and compositions! And the tone you coax out of those Beneteaus! Possibly the nicest acoustic guitar sounds I've ever heard... I love Doug's Claxton recordings and Tony McManus's Greenfield ones, but prefer the sound you get out of those guitars. Now if I could only find a spruce top crossover. They seem to be pretty hard to find.

Last edited by Lapo; 08-03-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapo View Post
Thanks Alot guys! Very helpful info. The Furch looks sweet. A bit out of budget, but I'll keep it in mind. Dustin, so cool that you've played both, that's what I was really hoping for. I'll be going for a crossover. Btw, I'm a big fan of you music and compositions! And the tone you coax out of those Beneteaus! Possibly the nicest acoustic guitar sounds I've ever heard... I love Doug's Claxton recordings and Tony McManus's Greenfield ones, but prefer the sound you get out of those guitars. Now if I could only find a spruce top crossover. They seem to be pretty hard to find.
Thanks for the kind words... I agree about your last statement as well. As I said I had a Studio Negra for a bit then tried a cedar crossover at Guitar Center and realized how big of a difference having the more curved radius made, so I was snagged a Spruce/Indian Cordoba Crossover that is apparently discontinued. It doesn't sound like a Kenny Hill or a Kobler but it certainly gets the job done for me

See if this link below is something you're after...this is what I would've gotten if I didn't find a used rosewood model.

https://reverb.com/item/7341448-cord...used-fretboard

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 08-03-2020, 07:18 PM

If you’re looking for a Córdoba crossover with spruce top, check out the Fusion series, and specifically the ones tagged “SP/IN”, e.g. Spruce top over Indian Rosewood B/S.

https://reverb.com/item/13601031-cor...stra-pro-sp-in

Hope that helps,
Gary
P.s. the one I linked is B-Stock, so be aware of that.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
Thanks for the kind words... I agree about your last statement as well. As I said I had a Studio Negra for a bit then tried a cedar crossover at Guitar Center and realized how big of a difference having the more curved radius made, so I was snagged a Spruce/Indian Cordoba Crossover that is apparently discontinued. It doesn't sound like a Kenny Hill or a Kobler but it certainly gets the job done for me

See if this link below is something you're after...this is what I would've gotten if I didn't find a used rosewood model.

https://reverb.com/item/7341448-cord...used-fretboard

Man Thanks! That was some Jedi level recomendation. I'm more a mahogany guy than rosewood. I was also hoping for something with an undersaddle pickup to blend with the phenomenal Close Up mic system I just got. I was vaguely aware of the fusions, but kind of remember reading a so so review and kind of wrote them off. Funny how the mind does that. I just ordered a spruce/mahogany from Alamo music. They offered a 10% coupon for signing up to the newsletter, so it was 494$ shipped. It'll be here mid next week. Thanks for all the responses guys, this is a truly great forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion