The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2020, 05:54 AM

Default Which is the smallest CF?

I get a lot of opportunities to play in my car. I have a Cargo, but it’s a bit cramped, so I’m looking for something smaller. Size is way more important here than sound, as my car use is just practicing and writing. When I record or play live I’m still an old-school Martin guy.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

The old Emerald X5 was pretty small.

Although it is not a standard guitar, due to the high frequency tuning - equivalent of standard guitar with a capo on the 10th fret - The Emerald Amicus is small.

Journey makes travel guitars with detachable collapsible necks that fit into their small roughly backpack size guitar bags designed for small footprint for ease of carry when traveling.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
The old Emerald X5 was pretty small.

Although it is not a standard guitar, due to the high frequency tuning - equivalent of standard guitar with a capo on the 10th fret - The Emerald Amicus is small.

Journey makes travel guitars with detachable collapsible necks that fit into their small roughly backpack size guitar bags designed for small footprint for ease of carry when traveling.
Thanks. X5 looks promising, if I can find one.
I don’t need small travel footprint offered by collapsible neck—looking for small playing size.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if this wil quite work as it is wood and Nylon, but I asked the designer and he says they hold up very well to car trunks ...

And the headless design plus light weight make it my go to guitar when i am playing in tight quarters. (Office chair living room)

http://eo-guitars.com/

Might also look at the outdoor ukuleles guitar model
Old 08-02-2020, 08:35 AM

Maybe the Alpaca was the smallest CF, but it's no longer being manufactured.

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/alp...-travel-guitar
Old 08-02-2020, 09:07 AM
Guest 928

You might want to take a look at the Outdoor Ukulele guitar. It's small and inexpensive and might do what you need.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121 View Post
Maybe the Alpaca was the smallest CF, but it's no longer being manufactured.
https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/alp...-travel-guitar
It looks like not many Alpaca were made, and a lot of people who contributed to the Kickstarter campaign got nothing:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...uitar/comments

But there are some out in the wild:
https://reverb.com/item/17092211-alp...coustic-guitar

It is an innovative approach to trimming down the size. It would be interesting to hear an objective take on its sound and playability.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:02 PM

First thought would be the discontinued Emerald X5.

Second thought would be the Outdoor Guitar by Outdoor Ukelele. It's polycarb, not carbon fiber, but my outdoor Uke is pretty rugged.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-02-2020, 04:14 PM

I would second the Outdoor Guitar. The polycarbonate they use is good to 250 degrees, so it should survive in a car, even in the heat of summer. Last year I sold a Traveller Speedster electric guitar to someone with similar needs. Maybe their acoustic version would suffice/
Old 08-02-2020, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

Although I like the Outdoor Uke guitar, the Alpaca is alluring. The Alpaca is CF and has a striking look. When I first saw it several years ago I thought it was off-putting, but with time just found it different and interesting. That it's headless is part of its differentness which is accompanied by its difference in shape. For the price I think it would be worth an experimental buy. And would like to hear back regarding playability and sound.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Although I like the Outdoor Uke guitar, the Alpaca is alluring. The Alpaca is CF and has a striking look.
I'm actually with Evan as well. I hadn't even heard of these before, but it definitely strikes the cool and different chord.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Blackbird made a tiny travel guitar, rather boxy shape. I just saw one for sale on Ebay for $1200.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:03 AM

The Blackbird Rider (no longer manufactured) was indeed the smallest quality travel guitar out there. It was an unconventional shape. and you almost HAD to play it using a strap, but it sounded pretty good overall. I got to play the steel string version once, but at that time I was focused on testing and buying their Lucky 13. Apart from the odd form factor, it was a pretty good little instrument and played well. I believe that EvanB even had one with nylon strings.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

Earl;

You are right--the Rider was almost impossible to use without a strap, which is the primary reason I finally let mine go.

Blackbird made the nylon Riders in two modes; Flamenco and Classical--different primarily in set up. I felt that the Rider came the closest of CF guitars to the play and sound of a traditional classical guitar.

I've played both steel and nylon string Riders and think they are stellar instruments. Both are rarely seen for sale.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 AM

Evan, I don't think that Joe ever built that many Riders. Despite how good they were for sound and play, the appearance was an obstacle to sales. Finding a used Rider is a chore. I did not know about the flamenco set up option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber