The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which top wood is your favorite?
Laminate 2 1.15%
Sitka spruce 63 36.21%
Engelmann spruce 9 5.17%
Lutz spruce 8 4.60%
Adirondack spruce 39 22.41%
Koa 4 2.30%
Maple 0 0%
Mahogany 10 5.75%
Red cedar 23 13.22%
Other 16 9.20%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Not counting the travel guitars, I have one sitka top, one mahogany top, and one cedar top. Love them all.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:24 PM

Larely, I am liking Carpathian spruce. LIke Adi without some of the coloring and uniformity issues
Old 08-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Depending on the guitar, I'm going to have either an Adirondack (red spruce) or European (German or Italian) top.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Adirondack spruce. Until this thread was started, I hadn’t realized there were other options.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:24 PM

I don't have a favourite but I voted Engelmen because my current favourite guitar has an Engelmen top and I feel they're overshadowed by Sitka, haha. Love cedar tops too.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:32 PM

I have Sitka, Engelman, and Cedar and they all strum and pick great.

The fancy upncharge top woods don’t really interest me. I’m sure there are some great guitars but I’m paying an upcharge for top woods.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:44 PM

I didn't like my Alpine top at first as I was so used to Sitka. However, once it opened up, I've fallen in love with it and think that it is a great pairing with Cocobolo.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:50 AM

It’s not something I worry about, frankly - I just want a good-sounding guitar.

I voted for Sitka spruce for two reasons: first, I have Sitka spruce tops on far more instruments than anything else. This includes not only guitars but mandolins and mountain dulcimers.

The other reason I voted for Sitka is that I live in Alaska, and Sitka spruce grows here. So I was being an Alaskan chauvinist!

Of course, western red cedar and Engelmann spruce grow up here, as well, though not as extensively.

Western red cedar is the next most common top wood on my instruments, including two or three dulcimers, two Seagull guitars and a Tacoma Papoose, a miniature travel guitar that’s basically a steel string version of the Mexican requinto.

I currently own two dreadnoughts with Adirondack spruce tops, a Martin and an Eastman, and have concluded that I like Adirondack spruce on large guitars.

I’ve previously owned a small body guitar and a dulcimer that both had Adirondack tops, though, and didn’t like either enough to hang onto them. So for me any advantage Adirondack might offer is mainly for dreadnoughts.

Then I’ve got one guitar each topped with Carpathian, Engelmann and Swiss spruce tops, and they all sound great.

So I think that any of these commonly used top woods can be turned into terrific guitars.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-02-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It’s not something I worry about, frankly - I just want a good-sounding guitar.

I voted for Sitka spruce for two reasons: first, I have Sitka spruce tops on far more instruments than anything else. This includes not only guitars but mandolins and mountain dulcimers.

The other reason I voted for Sitka is that I live in Alaska, and Sitka spruce grows here. So I was being an Alaskan chauvinist!.....
Old 08-02-2020, 04:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I didn't like my Alpine top at first as I was so used to Sitka. However, once it opened up, I've fallen in love with it and think that it is a great pairing with Cocobolo.
My favourite guitar is Swiss/ Cocobolo so I agree! As for tops though, I enjoy the differences that good examples of many difference wood species can contribute.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-02-2020, 05:34 AM

Sitka is okay, but adi is far superior, especially with scalloped braces and a forward shifted X brace. Greater clarity and note separation, and punchy, but with a nice overall warmth.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:04 AM

Sitka on my steel strings and Engleman on my nylon string, because it's what I've got!
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 08-02-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Any set of spruce personally selected by someone skilled in the art who understands their building system, my playing style/goals and crafted into an instrument. That perspective has served me well and resulted in guitars made from Engelmann Spruce, Norway Spruce (e.g. Austrian, Carpathian, German, Italian and Swiss) and Red Spruce. It is always about the individual set and not the species.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

This is not something I obsess about. I just want a great sounding guitar that looks good. However I voted Adirondack because 6 of my 10 guitars have Adi tops. And the other reason I voted for Adirondack is that I live in NE where Adirondack spruce grows — with a nod to Wade
Old 08-02-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Right now from the experiences I've had with various guitars, Lutz is my favorite wood for a top. It seems to deliver a bit of everything that I like: power, warmth, overtones, great responsiveness while still providing plenty of headroom.
Oddly enough, most of my guitars have Adirondack tops. But this may eventually change, as I feel that I've boxed myself in with Adirondack and am missing out on other qualities that the various other top woods provide.
I'm sure that like on most guitars, there are several contributing factors that give each instrument it's voice.
But yeah, right now my vote goes to Lutz !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion