The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-22-2020, 03:08 PM

Default Strings for Strumming

What strings do you recommend for strumming a nylon string guitar?

Thanks,

Hi Russ
Old 07-22-2020, 05:20 PM

What is the tonal character of your guitar? Play firmly with a pick? I wouldn't think that lush/warm strings would strum particularly well on a 'darker' guitar. Thomastik Classic KR116 would, but they're 27 to 30 USD.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:13 AM

Default Yamaha Silent String Nylon

The guitar is a Yamaha Silent String Nylon. It works great because it has no feedback issues, is very lightweight, and has acoustic modeling for a pleasant sound.

I don’t have an aggressive attack on the strings.

I mostly play nylon fingerstyle but practice one night a week with a rock band. I was using an electric guitar but I don’t like the narrow fretboard so I figured that I would play my LaPatrie instead. While it is in the shop getting electrified I resorted to the Yamaha that I play silently with headphones to not bother the wife and bingo! it works great so I will stick with that for band night and set it up with strumming strings.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:09 AM

D’Addario EJ45 Pro Arte NT
D'Addario Pro Arte Composite Core EJ45C

Both of these should be balanced and clear, and the guitar electronics will take it from there.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 AM

Honestly, through a pickup system *and* the processing that the Yamaha has to offer you are really not going to hear any difference between strings. String choice is more of an issue with the acoustics of a traditional guitar body.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical