The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2020, 12:42 PM

Default A thought

My opinion:

Seeing as how OP has a premium guitar, I suggest climbing the ladder of cleaning aids starting at the very bottom: Does this stuff come off by rubbing a t-shirt on it? If not, how about a t-shirt dampened with naphtha (lighter fluid)? Still there, get a luthier to take a look. Might come off readily with white Scotchbrite, but ask first. No sharp objects for me.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:47 PM

I got this on a mandolin when I left in the case for too long. I played it more and the stain wore off (it's probably still in my fingers somewhere).

D.H.
Old 07-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Have you reached out to Collins for advice? You are probably not the only one who has had that happen.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
Have you reached out to Collins for advice? You are probably not the only one who has had that happen.

Sent an email to Collings earlier today. They are pretty good at responding quickly. Will see what they have to say.

I’ve tried Dunlop Cleaner and then the Polish with a soft cloth (for guitars at a marked up price I’m sure). Scraping 24 fret edges with an X-acto would likely work - and I would tear up the binding in the process Dang clearcoat!
Old 07-19-2020, 01:07 PM

Default A thought

When I send an email message, nobody replies until they're good and ready, if ever. And they get to choose and prioritize the incoming messages. . Recipient is in complete control. When I make a phone call, I get to talk with somebody unless that entity uses voicemail during the business day. I'm harder to avoid or blow off.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Frets are more or less "T" shaped. The top of the "T", the rounded crown, sits on top of the fingerboard. The tang is inserted in the slot in the fingerboard and is visible only at the end of the fret if the fret extends the full width of the fingerboard. The tang is not visible on fretboards with bindings.

Removing corrosion from the crown of the frets is easy. 0000 steel wool rubbed parallel to the strings will easily remove it.

Removing corrosion from the ends of the tangs is not easy if there has been a finish applied over the ends. Essentially, you'd have to remove the finish on the ends of the tang to access the corroded ends. In other words, unless you remove the finish on the side of the neck to the depth of the tangs, you won't be able to remove the corrosion on the ends of the tangs.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

Removing corrosion from the ends of the tangs is not easy if there has been a finish applied over the ends. Essentially, you'd have to remove the finish on the ends of the tang to access the corroded ends. In other words, unless you remove the finish on the side of the neck to the depth of the tangs, you won't be able to remove the corrosion on the ends of the tangs.

This is the dilemma as the corrosion is NOT on the crown and is only on the tang. The finish does not cover the tang. But if a fingernail scrapes the tang and catches the edge of the finish that easily lifts off. I’m a new expert [emoji53]
Old 07-19-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogradyboy View Post
Sent an email to Collings earlier today. They are pretty good at responding quickly. Will see what they have to say.

I’ve tried Dunlop Cleaner and then the Polish with a soft cloth (for guitars at a marked up price I’m sure). Scraping 24 fret edges with an X-acto would likely work - and I would tear up the binding in the process Dang clearcoat!
If you're seeing the fret ends there is no binding.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
If you're seeing the fret ends there is no binding.

This...
Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
This is the dilemma as the corrosion is NOT on the crown and is only on the tang. The finish does not cover the tang. But if a fingernail scrapes the tang and catches the edge of the finish that easily lifts off. I’m a new expert [emoji53]
Quote:
The photo shows the finish having chipped from the end of the fret tang.

If the frets were installed after the finish was applied, then there won't be finish on the ends of the tang. That seems to be what you are saying.

If the ends of the fret tang are exposed, you could try rubbing the ends with naphtha on a cloth of Q-tip. You could try something like Brasso on a Q-tip, keeping it as much as possible on the fret tang and off the finish. Check the Brasso on an inconspicuous place on the finish to ensure it doesn't harm the finish. After removing the corrosion, clean off the Brasso with naphtha.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I'd give it a light rub with Scotch brite. Then a little naphtha on a soft cloth.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:47 PM

One of my Gardiners has some of that oxidation on the tang and I ignore it. Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL! The possibility of making things worse is STRONG.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 07-19-2020, 08:15 PM

Thank you all.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:

This...
Not sure why you quoted me here. If the neck has binding the fret ends wouldn't be exposed.

I see the issue now. Many will scream NO when I post this but this is how I would take care of it if it was bugging me..... I'd clean it with a damp cloth, get it 'dry' and take a Sharpie and simply change the color to black by 'dotting' the trouble areas.

If the finish is lifting, and it was bugging me.... have a luthier fix it.

Last edited by 3notes; 07-20-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Its corrosion. It happens. It usually wipes off pretty easily thats why you dont see it building up on the top of the frets. Over time it causes pitting. I have seen this mostly on very old guitars or new guitars with cheap fret wire. It should come right off with some fret polish but if its pitted you are going to need to re-finish the ends of the fret wire.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion