The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2020, 02:51 PM

I own a wonderful 12 feet 000-18 GE.
Super comfy to play, sounds fantastic, and could be for sale.

Scott
Old 08-03-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have looked several times for a smaller Martin with a 12 fret neck to no avail.
It looks like this is a guitar that Martin doesn't have much interest in making.
Could it be that a guitar with these specs don't have that "Martin" sound?
I have a OM-28 with a 12 fret neck that is Rosewood b/s and an adi top. It has the elongated body Martin uses with the 12 fret OMs. It's a custom build that I bought from Don and Marty at Wildwood music in beautiful Coshocton Ohio. The combination of the 12 fret, longer body and full scale makes for a loud and responsive guitar. Tragically Don and Marty are retired (well, great for them, tragic for acoustic guitar players!) but I'm sure Martin will build one for you.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:07 PM

Once again, the orchestra model is a 14 fret guitar, period. '12 fret OM' makes absolutely no sense. Martin used that designation on all sizes of their 14 fret guitars from the time they were introduced, though the 000 size was the first 14 fret Martin. It just happened to be the only one to be stamped OM. That was done to differentiate it from the concurrent 000, which was still a 12 fret guitar. When most of the Martin line was changed to 14 fret in 1934, the OM designation became unnecessary. After that, the 12 fret versions of models that were normally 14 fret carried an 'S' suffix which meant 'special', then later came to mean 'standard'. It never meant slotted. Martin called their 12 fret guitars standard models, and the 14 fret guitars orchestra models.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I own a Martin 000-28VS and it's an excellent guitar. Soundpure has a used one in excellent condition for sale here.

My cover of Don McLean's "Vincent" is done with my 000-28VS.

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2020, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Once again, the orchestra model is a 14 fret guitar, period. '12 fret OM' makes absolutely no sense. Martin used that designation on all sizes of their 14 fret guitars from the time they were introduced, though the 000 size was the first 14 fret Martin. It just happened to be the only one to be stamped OM. That was done to differentiate it from the concurrent 000, which was still a 12 fret guitar. When most of the Martin line was changed to 14 fret in 1934, the OM designation became unnecessary. After that, the 12 fret versions of models that were normally 14 fret carried an 'S' suffix which meant 'special', then later came to mean 'standard'. It never meant slotted. Martin called their 12 fret guitars standard models, and the 14 fret guitars orchestra models.
This is excellent info, thank you.
Old 08-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

My cover of Don McLean's "Vincent" is done with my 000-28VS.

- Glenn

Dang, and here I thought you wrote that little diddy, Glen!
scott
Old 08-03-2020, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Dang, and here I thought you wrote that little diddy, Glen!
scott
Seriously? You thought I wrote, "Vincent?"

Or are you just kidding around? It can be hard to tell with this kind of communication.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion