The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Default Nov 2019 Amplification Set Up

I think it's useful for us to periodically update our gear signal chain for each other... what works and what doesn't.

I played a larger gig (100 people outdoor) with my duo on Friday. Two guitars, two mics.

I play a Blueridge BR143CE that has built in Fishman blend electronics and my buddy plays a Taylor of some sort.

Guitars > Yamaha MG10XU > Bose S1 as floor monitor (on floor facing up)
> Twin QSC K8.2 on poles for front of house

Vocal Mics are Senheiser E835's in the same chain as above.

I thought the front of house signal sounded great... I'd include a video, but I'm shy.

***please share your signal chains and what works for you***

I don't want to turn this into a thread about "issues", but I thought I would share some comments on a quibble I had with the gear this past gig:

The Bose S1 absolutely *hated* my BR143CE electronics though. I had the guitar turned up about 75%, the gain on the Yamaha at about 25%, the Yamaha channel volume at about 50%, the Yamaha monitor signal at about 50% with the S1's tonematch switch OFF and about 40% volume. Every big E chord would cause the S1 to break up.

Anyway, I'm convinced that I'd need to drop the guitar to 50% volume and gain on the Yamaha at probably 10% to get it to work. I think when you have so many gain stages, it's tough to get it all sounding right. I need to go set up in my backyard and take notes or something. For the heck of it, I dropped a Woody XL in my BR143CE and it sounded glorious.... go figure!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification