The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-30-2019, 04:26 AM

Default Octave Pedal

What pedal would you recommend for simply creating a (clean) bass note, mostly for a boom=chick sound. Would need the flexibility for the bass note to probably sound from the E on the D string down to low E or even dropped D.

I've owned the Boss OC-3, and it checked all the boxes for me in terms of functionality, and seemed to track well. But the bass sound just never sounded quite in tune. Having the separate bass signal out, to run separately to the board or even a bass amp, was nice.

As much as I've read about the POG, will it do that simple task? (I do like the 12 string effect with the POG, using the upper octave, that would be a bonus). Also, if room on the pedalboard weren't an issue, which POG is best?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Pog Nano gets it done for me. It wasn't cheap, but it does track very well.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Do the POGs have a setting to double just the low notes or do they only double the whole instrument range?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Do the POGs have a setting to double just the low notes or do they only double the whole instrument range?
That is my question as well
Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM

I like the TC electronic Sub & up better than the Pog. It requires less power and has a few more bells and whistles. It tracks as well as the micro POG that I had. To answer the others, The POG is polyphonic and tracks the one note or whole chord, basically it does not "bi-amp"; separate the low strings from the high strings. The Boss OC-3 is the only pedal that can do that, that I know of.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I like the TC electronic Sub & up better than the Pog. It requires less power and has a few more bells and whistles. It tracks as well as the micro POG that I had. To answer the others, The POG is polyphonic and tracks the one note or whole chord, basically it does not "bi-amp"; separate the low strings from the high strings. The Boss OC-3 is the only pedal that can do that, that I know of.

The EH Bass9 also does this, but only on the “Split Bass” preset #7. The Boss OC-3 lets you vary the threshold of what note this split happens. I always put it at F#3 (a half step below an open G string). This works somewhat, but you can only go up to the fourth fret on the D string and the 10th fret on the A string. After that the Bass drops out.

I have the OC-3 and you can make it work for bass lines, but it does take some working out of parts and practice once you figure it out. I stopped using it because I don’t like the bass sound all that much, plus I don’t like the sound of the Boss buffer on my Schertler AG-6 pickup.

I have a used EH Bass9 on order. The limitations with the Split Bass (#7) preset should be roughly the same. The split is fixed at F#3, but that is where I always split it anyway. For somebody who tuned down a half or whole step, or used a non-standard tuning, not being able to set the split point would be a strong negative.

From what I’ve heard online, the bass sound from the Bass9 should be better. I might also use the full range bass sounds for recording or jamming with friends.

I try to buy equipment that I’m not sure about used because that way if I sell it, I haven’t lost as much money. I have no idea whether or not I will be happy with the EH Bass9 box, and I may well turn around and sell it if I am not.

Another option to do this same sort of thing (on electric) is the Little Thunder pickup. I have one of these in an archtop but I found it too noisy to use. They may have improved this in the current version:

https://www.alittlethunder.com
Old 10-30-2019, 05:17 PM

There are only 3 pedals on the market that do this.

Boss OC3
Ehx Bass 9 (new!)
Deep Dive (also new!)

I've only tried the OC3 and it sounded a little do digital to my ears. Petteri Sariola uses it and gets a great sound.

I opted for a different option. I have a second pickup under the E and A strings which has a seperate out. I run this into an EQ and then into the EHX Pitchfork for the octave down. Works great but it doesn't pickup anything on the D string ofcourse.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 10-30-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
There are only 3 pedals on the market that do this.

Boss OC3
Ehx Bass 9 (new!)
Deep Dive (also new!)

I've only tried the OC3 and it sounded a little do digital to my ears. Petteri Sariola uses it and gets a great sound.

I opted for a different option. I have a second pickup under the E and A strings which has a seperate out. I run this into an EQ and then into the EHX Pitchfork for the octave down. Works great but it doesn't pickup anything on the D string ofcourse.
Very helpful. The Deep Dive is certainly affordable....
Old 10-30-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
The EH Bass9 also does this, but only on the “Split Bass” preset #7. The Boss OC-3 lets you vary the threshold of what note this split happens. I always put it at F#3 (a half step below an open G string). This works somewhat, but you can only go up to the fourth fret on the D string and the 10th fret on the A string. After that the Bass drops out.

I have the OC-3 and you can make it work for bass lines, but it does take some working out of parts and practice once you figure it out. I stopped using it because I don’t like the bass sound all that much, plus I don’t like the sound of the Boss buffer on my Schertler AG-6 pickup.

I have a used EH Bass9 on order. The limitations with the Split Bass (#7) preset should be roughly the same. The split is fixed at F#3, but that is where I always split it anyway. For somebody who tuned down a half or whole step, or used a non-standard tuning, not being able to set the split point would be a strong negative.

From what I’ve heard online, the bass sound from the Bass9 should be better. I might also use the full range bass sounds for recording or jamming with friends.

I try to buy equipment that I’m not sure about used because that way if I sell it, I haven’t lost as much money. I have no idea whether or not I will be happy with the EH Bass9 box, and I may well turn around and sell it if I am not.

Another option to do this same sort of thing (on electric) is the Little Thunder pickup. I have one of these in an archtop but I found it too noisy to use. They may have improved this in the current version:

https://www.alittlethunder.com
Agreed. The bass sound just didn't sound quite right to me on the Boss, but it certainly brought out the bass notes I wanted...
Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Very helpful. The Deep Dive is certainly affordable....
Ooops, I gave the wrong name. It's called the 'Dig Deep' By OPFXS

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
You have essentially 3 dials on the Nano. 1 for low (-1 octave), 1 for high (+1 octave) and 1 for your dry signal.

So if you want just lower, dial back dry and octave up. If you want only octave up, dial back dry and sub octave. If you want sub octave and octave up but no dry, dial back dry. Etc.

The bigger Pog has more features, like presets and -2, -1, +1, +2 octave sliders.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
You have essentially 3 dials on the Nano. 1 for low (-1 octave), 1 for high (+1 octave) and 1 for your dry signal.

So if you want just lower, dial back dry and octave up. If you want only octave up, dial back dry and sub octave. If you want sub octave and octave up but no dry, dial back dry. Etc.

The bigger Pog has more features, like presets and -2, -1, +1, +2 octave sliders.
Yes, I get that, but that is on all the notes, not just on notes below a threshold of certain note (like an open G string).
Old 10-31-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Ooops, I gave the wrong name. It's called the 'Dig Deep' By OPFXS
I guess there are both, I see a Modtone Deep Dive as well, but again, not sure if it will track a bass note only up to a certain degree (I think F# as mentioned above, would be the spot I'd choose as the most useful).
Old 10-31-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Yes, I get that, but that is on all the notes, not just on notes below a threshold of certain note (like an open G string).
Yes, this is the OP, that is the function I was looking for. Limiting where the bass notes are triggered. Also, a separate feed for the bass notes. So far that is the OC-3 for sure. Also, in tune, quick to track, and realiistic sound on the bass notes. I guess I'm asking for a lot ha!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Yes, this is the OP, that is the function I was looking for. Limiting where the bass notes are triggered. Also, a separate feed for the bass notes. So far that is the OC-3 for sure. Also, in tune, quick to track, and realiistic sound on the bass notes. I guess I'm asking for a lot ha!
It just occurred to me, but have you tried an EQ pedal? I also have a Fishman Platinum Pro EQ and it allows me to dial in more bass on the lower frequencies.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification