The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2021, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

i dont change guitars, i have as many guitars as i can fit in my git room and cases + some. reason why i add are many. I love fixing up guitars and breathing new life in them, 4 restored so far in 2021. I also love the variety that they each give me, love them all.
an example: have been writing an instrumental piece for last week and i play it on 3 different guitars and each guitar gives me inspiration on where to take the song next with the different sound each gives.
i would guess its the same reason anyone with a passion or love has more than 1 of something, like if i liked cats....but hasnt reached the crazy cat person stage yet

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-21-2021, 04:27 PM

It's probably pointless to paint (yes, I'm alliterating) all the people on this forum with one brush when explaining why any single person would buy multiple guitars. There are many legitimate reasons why we might crave and/or buy yet another guitar. It is, after all, a guitar forum.

That said, there is a pretty obvious culture of consumerism here - check out how many threads begin with "what should I buy?" It's contagious. I read about one make or another, and soon enough, I want it. For someone like me, watching my pennies, it's not a healthy thing, especially since I actually could use a few more instruments.

Just sayin'...
Old 10-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Yep. What Bruce said. I don’t know anybody who bought a new guitar just because they thought it would make them “sound good.“ I know lots of folks who bought a new guitar because it inspired them…thus causing them to play more and make them better players.
Yeah, I think this is more like it.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:39 PM

I just love guitars. I never expected any of them to make me a better player.

I've owned a lot of motorcycles over the years, but I never expected any of them to make me a better rider.

And before I got married and settled down, I had a lot of girlfriends down through the years. But I never expected any of them to make me a better person.

Once you retire, you have to have something to do with your time. For me it's guitars, horses, books, and spending time with my wife and kids. And I enjoy all of them.

I took off the hair shirt and gave up austere living when I retired from the military. At this point in my life, I figure it's okay for me to be a little self-indulgent. There's nothing wrong with enjoying life a bit.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:50 PM

I bought a guitar to make me sound better, and it did.

This has happened several times over the years.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:08 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

I think this is what some in the psychology field would call 'projecting'...

Old 10-21-2021, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
Not everyone here is a beginner looking to "sound good" because of the guitar.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-21-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Not everyone here is a beginner looking to "sound good" because of the guitar.
I've been playing for fifty-three years, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:44 PM

I sound better when I play more often. I play more often when the guitars I own compel me to do so.

The trick is to know when you have something special, a guitar that makes you want to play it. Plenty of players have failed to recognize that and lament the one that got away.

“Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you got ‘til it’s gone.”

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 10-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
There's folks who keep changing guitars. I think many of them have missed a point, they seem to hope that that new guitar will make them sound good. I suggest the goal is for the player to make the guitar sound good. Can't buy improved playing no matter how much is spent.
Yeah, but I think a good top quality guitar can make you sound a whole lot better no matter what level you are at. Just one man’s opinion.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I think if a player is good enough to get even better sound out of a new and better guitar, then it makes sense to get that new guitar, assuming the resources are available. For many, I think that's the case.

I do think a new guitar can inspire a person to play more and get even more motivated to learn.

I think in some ways, though, we tend to want to buy musical competence. I am never sure when I have fallen into this trap. Probably more than I'd like to admit.

- Glenn
Old 10-21-2021, 08:27 PM

I dont think changing guitars will make me sound better. I think tsking lessons and practicing will make me sound better….slowly.

“Changing guitars” is about something else entirely. It is more like trying different restaurants or going different destinations for vacations….some people just enjoy variety and novelty (and some people don’t enjoy variety and novelty).
Nothing wrong with either approach, and there is really no reason to assume that guitar purchases are driven by a foolish belief that a different guitar might confer more skill.

Do you also believe that people who frequently buy new cars are imagining that a different vehicle will make them better drivers?
Old 10-21-2021, 08:43 PM

Another thought, there is a world of fantastic guitars out there, some people want to explore that world and some are more comfortable staying at home with what they have.

There's plenty of room for both.

I'm a below average player with some above average guitars that likes to venture out every now and again ... then run home again.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-21-2021, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
I've been playing for fifty-three years, and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it!
I think its time you moved up from your Sears Silvertone,

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-21-2021, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Another thought, there is a world of fantastic guitars out there, some people want to explore that world and some are more comfortable staying at home with what they have.

There's plenty of room for both...
I have certainly tried this approach. I bought some additional guitars besides the one I'd had for decades because I wanted to experience some new guitars. I didn't really expect them to make me a better player, and I was already a bit of a guitar nut, anyway. I didn't really need a new guitar to inspire me to play. I just wanted to explore what was out there.

I've enjoyed it. It cost some money but much of the money can be recovered, if needed.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion