The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-19-2021, 05:30 PM

Default Learning to play dave rawlings method acting

This song is my new obsession, can't stop listening to it, when I go to play it's a different story. Normally I find a lesson of some sort on youtube and work it out from there but no luck with method acting. I only want to do the rhythm and sing it, anyone else had success with it, prefer to use standard tuning if possible
Old 10-21-2021, 01:28 PM

I haven't played it in a long time. Reading this post made me go home and brush the dust off of it. There's an accurate chord sheet on ultimate guitar, some of the fingerings are a little different but it will get you most of the way there.

There are some idiosyncrasies in how the vocals time with the guitar, but nothing too tricky. This may have been the most beneficial song in solidifying my ability to play and sing at the same time.

I play in standard tuning with a capo on one, as I'm sure that's what Gillian does as well.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:01 PM

Thanks, I've made progress on the verses, what confused me with the ultimate guitar chords was the F#/D chord which just doesn't sound right at all when I use it, so I just play Em, Bm, C G D for the first couple of phrases.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:28 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPTQDP2bRQ

This video gives you a great view of what Gil is doing.

It seems that the version that I learned it from on ultimate guitar is not there Anymore. The one I just saw on there is accurate.
Whenever she plays C she plays the G on the sixth string as well.

Last edited by erhino41; 10-22-2021 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanks, I've made good progress on it. I now realize the chord sheet that said the chord was F#/D was a typo, it's D/F# (which I play in lots of other songs).

Now I've got the song on constant repeat so I burn the timing of the lyrics into my brain before I start singing it myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write